Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Humidity solutions for leaving a guitar at home in the winter  (Read 4006 times)
ZachStevenson

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »

I'll be away for about 9 days over Christmas. Any tips on maintaining humidity?

Cheers!

Zach
--
OM-03
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »

what city/state do you live in
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »

I think he's in Toronto Matt.
humidity level is between 70 & 80% presently.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pilibe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »

I'm buying a larrivee soon. As I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the humidity level here is 70%+  almost every day. I would like some tips too. Thanks.
Bruno

Larrivee LV-03RE (SOON)
Yamaha FG700S
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »

I'm buying a larrivee soon. As I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the humidity level here is 70%+  almost every day. I would like some tips too. Thanks.
Bruno
Good starting point is HERE on the Larrivee.com

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »

Train yourself to look for the signs of too little and too much humidity.  Taking care of a guitar is like taking care of a houseplant.
Pilibe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »

Excelent tips. Thank you!

Larrivee LV-03RE (SOON)
Yamaha FG700S
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:12:23 PM »

The outdoor relative humidity (that you get from you local weather forecast) doesn't address the environment your guitar(s) are subject to...  unless you keep them outside.  You need a meter in the house or in the case if you want useful numbers.

Ed
ZachStevenson

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

Wow, lot's of activity. Yes I am in Toronto. Currently using a room hygrometer and a case hygrometer. Room is at about 25% and I've managed to keep the case at 40-50% so far this winter with regular checks and refills of the humidifier. Currently using one of these:

http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=522&productname=Acoustic_Guitar_Humidifiers

Any suggestions on what I can do to ensure proper humidity for an extended period?

Cheers!

Zach
--
OM-03
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »

It's better to get something that humidifies the room (or house, if possible) where you keep your guitars. Get a decent room humidifier. Your guitars are worth it and you'll appreciate it too.
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 01:06:44 PM »

A case humidifier with the moisture not rung out so much and bag the case/guitar. Should be ok. Turn the house heat down.

L-03 Italian Spruce
datdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »

Also, if you have in-floor heating, keep that guitar off the floor !

Larrivee LV-10 2013
Michael Gee classical 2003
Martin D12X1AE 12 string
Alvarez AP66
Gretsch 5420t Electromatic
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »

A case humidifier with the moisture not rung out so much and bag the case/guitar. Should be ok. Turn the house heat down.

+1  cheap and easy.  Use an Ocelo sponge in a Baggie with many small holes in it. If you wet the sponge to the point where it does not drip, it will likely last at least those 2 weeks in a closed case.  I do this with soap dishes with holes drilled in each case to keep my cases humidified

Just be sure it cannot touch guitar wood.

I keep mine in the string box or under the headstock

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »

+1  cheap and easy.  Use an Ocelo sponge in a Baggie with many small holes in it. If you wet the sponge to the point where it does not drip, it will likely last at least those 2 weeks in a closed case.  I do this with soap dishes with holes drilled in each case to keep my cases humidified

Just be sure it cannot touch guitar wood.

I keep mine in the string box or under the headstock

I use the sponge in a baggie method too.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »

I do run a large room humidifier from early November to the end of March, but each guitar case includes one of these...
sawdustdave

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 08:40:58 PM »

I have a whole house humidifier within 5 feet of my Larrivee and Martin, and they've been OK this winter. I keep another humidifier in my bedroom, and a small one under the grand piano. Run 'em 24x7. Doesn't matter that the humidity outside is 64%, in the house (hot water heat) it's DRY.

At night, I even boil water on the stove. I figure I can't humidify enough!

Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 03:36:11 AM »

I do run a large room humidifier from early November to the end of March, but each guitar case includes one of these...

I like the soap dish idea but a baggy with some holes punched in them works well, too.

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 11:53:09 PM »

One question. How does one know the humidity in the case with the sponge method? I know the humidity in my music room at any given time and can control it with a fair measure of accuracy.   
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 02:18:54 PM »

One question. How does one know the humidity in the case with the sponge method? I know the humidity in my music room at any given time and can control it with a fair measure of accuracy.   

You don't really. I know people say they know from in case hygrometers, but they are notoriously unreliable. I just know it is out of the danger zone. If the tuning stays stable or goes a touch sharp overnight everything is alright.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »

You don't really. I know people say they know from in case hygrometers, but they are notoriously unreliable. I just know it is out of the danger zone. If the tuning stays stable or goes a touch sharp overnight everything is alright.
Yeah, that's right.
I know this:
The air is going to draw moisture from the sponge in the case before it begins sucking it out of the wood in my guitar. So I keep that sponge dampened.
And when the outdoor air temperature is near or below zero, I can't keep the indoor humidity level at >40%RH, anyway.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: