Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drop D Mechanisms for Bakersfield  (Read 1998 times)
tulk1

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2014, 02:38:35 PM »

Anyone added any of the current market Drop D mechs to a Bakersfield? We do several songs in drop D. Using a tuner is fine in most cases. But often I need to drop to D, then back to E quickly. Thought a good dropper might help. But ... no idea of what to look for as far as fitting the holes and tuners currently on the Bakersfield. Hoping someone here has done such a thing and can point me in the right direction.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by drop D mech. I have a partial capo that makes for a quick drop D effect though you're actually in E but you don't have to modify all your chord formations. Pretty handy little thing.   
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »

A capo to get to drop d? How does that work?

mech = mechanism

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:51:49 PM »

A capo to get to drop d? How does that work?

mech = mechanism

Well, it's called a partial capo. It doesn't cover the low E string so it works sort of like Drop D except you're in the key of E. You can actually do this with any trigger type capo, just don't cover the low E string, but mine's designed to make it easier. Play as if you're in Drop D, except no need to modify all chords because of the dropped E string. I hope that's about as clear ... as mud.   
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »

Well, it's called a partial capo. It doesn't cover the low E string so it works sort of like Drop D except you're in the key of E. You can actually do this with any trigger type capo, just don't cover the low E string, but mine's designed to make it easier. Play as if you're in Drop D, except no need to modify all chords because of the dropped E string. I hope that's about as clear ... as mud.   

So you capo at 2nd fret? Sorry, I'm uh, intellectually challenged.   bigrin

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:51:29 PM »

Yes. That's what duck meant. I modified one of my Planet waves capos for this, by putting it over all six strings as usual, then marking it in the space between the 5th and 6th strings. I cut off that much of the capo (I think I used a hack saw, then cleaned it up with some files). Works great.

If you want to play even higher up the neck using this method, use a regular capo - say on the 1st or 2nd fret, then put the "Cut capo" on the 3rd or 4th fret respectively. Now you're playing in the key of F or F#/Gb, etc.

wacko

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »

Aha, got it. That's pretty slick. May have to try that. But not sure I have any songs in Drop E. And still leaves me out on Drop D. I may try a banjo tuner, I guess. Would rather not, tho'.

Kenny

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:14:25 AM »

Check and see if a Hipshot will fit on it.This is a tuner that has a flip switch which allow's you the ability flip the switch and your E become's a D.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 05:29:04 AM »

Check and see if a Hipshot will fit on it.This is a tuner that has a flip switch which allow's you the ability flip the switch and your E become's a D.

I think EVH may have had one of these on one of his signature guitars...?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »

Unca Rob, already done that. First place I went. Those are for gits equip'd with Grovers. I even emailed Hipshot and asked if they had something for Kluson tuners. The reply: "No. We tried and they kept falling apart"blush

BTW, EVH's is the D-Tuna which went on a Kahler type bridge. I think it was actually an EVH bridge. I think. But it certainly will not fit a traditional Tele type bridge set up.

Kenny

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 02:08:50 PM »

Yes second fret,  I could have been clearer. Mikey is right too. I can use the partial with a second capo and have drop just about anything. I saw Doug Young doing that a few years back and was quite impressed. 
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »

Thanks for the tip Tom. Old farts can still learn.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 09:05:48 PM »

Thanks for the tip Tom. Old farts can still learn.

De nada, amigo. I hope you're right though I wonder if I'm not forgetting faster than I'm learning, these days.   
Steveareno

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »

I think Waylon Jennings had a "Scruggs Tuner" on his Tele. Just on the low E string. Pre-set for an accurate drop to D. Earl Scrugs used it to great effect. Maybe it was Froggy Mountain Breakdown? Clarence White may have had one too, in addition to his B-bender. They're made for banjos but work on Tele style guitars. They sound cool.
Swang on,
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »

I've sent an email to Beacon Banjo to see if they have a Keith tuner (Scruggs Tuner) with 8mm shafts. I think that is what the Kluson tuners are. And I just can't bring myself to drill on the Bakersfield, just yet.

Kenny

Steveareno

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 03:54:22 AM »

They're not too intrusive and sound very cool, either as an effect during a tune, or for a quick tuning change. Had a Parsons White B bender for a few years when I was playing out and they are also super cool, depending on the style of music you're into. The magic rope trick. I've mainly been playing jazz standards, so I'm okay with the standard set up. My Bakersfield seems to have it covered.
Swang on,
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »

I received a reply from Bill Keith himself!  bigrin  Thats the cool news. The other news - they take a 3/8" (12/32") hole which is about 9.5 mm. From what I can find Klusons are 8.8mm, which should come to about 11/32". So, it's really about a 1/32" difference. Doesn't seem like much. But what happens if I drill and then don't like the banjo tuner? Is there a bushing I could use to reconvert the hole back for the Kluson? This is what bothers me. If it was a partscaster, I wouldn't hesitate. But I waited SO LONG to get the Bakersfield, I'm a bit skittish about making too many mods on it that aren't immediately reversible.

Kenny

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: