Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K&K Pickups  (Read 3784 times)
DonW

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »

I am thinking of installing a K&K pickup in my L09. Has anyone tried one of the systems Do you like it? I am looking to amplify my guitar with as little effect to its natural acoustic tone as possible (which is really nice)...don't want to do anything that will alter its natural tone and playability. I don't want on board tone and volume controls and batteries etc. I just have Fender amps at the moment. I play very little "live" but want to be able to amplify once in a while to boost the volume and fatten up the tone. I am playing fingerstyle exclusively  right now and need to play / jam with guys that are strumming / etc. Any thoughts on this system or others?

Larrivee L09.
Favorite song "Water is Wide"
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »

I put them in my guitars and have great results.  I (almost exclusively) play through Ultrasound amps when I plug in, and don't use a preamp.  When I go into a mixer, I use the K&K preamp. 

Ed
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »

I've used the them to good results but prefer the Fishman Matrix Infinity because of the inside soundhole controls.
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:17:02 AM »

The Fishman Rare Earth are soooo easy to install and remove...Larrivee even predrills the endplug...most have built in preamp and controls....heres how they sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8BnHmh5zes

most folks here love the K&K...but I think the RareEarth or Sunrise pickup will get a fatter sound....bottom line is you don't have to glue anything to the inside of your guitar and you can take them on and off with a screwdriver in % minutes.

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »

The sound of the K&K (for the way I need amplified guitar) is my main reason for liking them.  The fact that there isn't any extra 'stuff' (battery, controls, etc.) is a real plus in my book, though. 

Ed
DonW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »

Yes, I too like the idea of no dials, batteries and circuit boards. I want my guitar to sound like it always has just louder from time to time. I am not completely decided yet but the K&K will probably be the way I go with an Orchid DI maybe. I don't have an acoustic amp...but I have a couple of good Fender amps...may sell one of them and get an acoustic amp. I recently heard the Fishman solo amp (the one that is on a stand...forget the name an model) it was really nice sounding. Thank you all for your input on this.

Larrivee L09.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »

Yes, I too like the idea of no dials, batteries and circuit boards. I want my guitar to sound like it always has just louder from time to time. I am not completely decided yet but the K&K will probably be the way I go with an Orchid DI maybe. I don't have an acoustic amp...but I have a couple of good Fender amps...may sell one of them and get an acoustic amp. I recently heard the Fishman solo amp (the one that is on a stand...forget the name an model) it was really nice sounding. Thank you all for your input on this.

If you get a chance try a Bose compact system. Works very well. My OOO-50 with a K&K pure mini and no DI or preamp of any kind sounds fabulous through it. 
C-10-4-me

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »

Just bought a used guitar on Ebay that has a K&K installed in it,which is a first for me. My other pickups are a Fishman UST and an LR Baggs iBeam active. Be interesting to compare them played through my Marshall acoustic amp.

Ron

Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »

This won't be of any help I'm sure, but if you want your great Larrivee to sound like a great Larrivee, then use an external mike.

All those UST's and internal systems take a Steinway concert grand and make it sound like a Casio.

We all obsess over finding guitars with that special sound and make them all sound the same I.e. The native sound of the transducer

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »

This won't be of any help I'm sure, but if you want your great Larrivee to sound like a great Larrivee, then use an external mike.

All those UST's and internal systems take a Steinway concert grand and make it sound like a Casio.

We all obsess over finding guitars with that special sound and make them all sound the same I.e. The native sound of the transducer

I agree a mic (under ideal conditions) will sound better, but it's awfully hard to get ideal conditions, if the goal is to jam with some buddies.  I also disagree that all the pickups make it sound as bad as you say.  With more than one K&K install, I was convinced I had screwed something up...  until I turned the amp off and found it was the same sound, just quieter.  What I like about K&K (and the right amp) is that it sounds like my guitar, just louder. 

Ed
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 04:58:57 AM »

Exactly....if playing a jam session with the boys involves drums and electrics you will need volume controls and eq.....or if its bluegrass night at the legion a mic might work.....

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
S MS Picker

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 05:12:34 AM »

FWIW...
K & K style transducers work really well. I personally use JJB Electronics version.I wire a Schatten sound hole, thumb wheel volume in for convenience
Get ya' a roll of really thin double sided tape,Scotch makes some that looks just like a regular roll, only double sided.
Experiment w/the placement (extensively) to determine where to position them to get the sound you want. It's probably the most critical step before you glue them.
I've put the LR Baggs "Lyric" in 2 of my Taylors and the sound is amazing.
I also use the Baggs Venue DI and Gig Pro. they really help when you need a little extra.
Granted, I've not played w/a hair slinging-ear splitting metal band, yet; but I'm more than pleased w/the Lyric.I still have a stock Taylor and a JJB fitted one if
Ozzy should call. blush
Steve
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:21:07 AM »

You might want to look into a Martin VTC (Volume Tone Control) -- a passive unit that plugs into your guitar and allows you to turn down the volume to the level you want and cut the treble if you want. It won't make your guitar louder because it is a passive unit but it will give you control over the level.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 08:30:59 PM »

Another K & K fan . I use mine with a guitar lead that has a little preamp inside the plug that is powered up by Phantom Power.     

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
DonW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 12:11:19 PM »

I thought this thread was over...thought I'd let you know how it all turned out. I had the K&K installed in my Larrivee L09 and then bought a Fishman Loudbox mini....truely an awesome sound for my needs. Next I will get an Orchid Muting DI and the rig will be complete. I don't play out much but I'm told that the DI will render the Fishman even better as the controls with become even more responsive. Love this tone! and the K&K has had no effect at all on the acoustic sound of the guitar...like I was told the whole thing weighs as much as a nickel.
Thanks to all for your input on this thread.

Larrivee L09.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 06:15:37 AM »

All my guitars are kitted out with Pure mini's and my gigging OM guitar has the Trinity. (Pure mini with a mic)
I use the Pure with my Ultrasound DI-plus and the Trinity with the K&K dual channel belt-clip-pre-amp that came with the unit.

They're very natural sounding and I love the fact that there are no batteries in my guitars.

I'm a fan alright.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: