Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking/ Behringer 302 USB mixer  (Read 2578 times)
abalone at last

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »

Finally got around to upgrading my sound! I have played the Fishman Rare Earth sound hole pickup for a few months through amps and PA systems but have just bought the Behringer 302 USB mini mixer which will eventually open up my recordings to laptops etc....Heres how it sounds through my home stereo for now. EQ'd flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8BnHmh5zes&feature=youtu.be

as opposed to just the acoustic sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0188t7czOs

Which do you think sounds better? Any sound advice? Thanks ! 

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »

...after listening to the samples I see how much the soundhole pup colors the sound....gives it a bit of electric sound,,,none the less I'm still happy...way better than piezo and not alot of $$$ or luthier skills involved,,,a worthy arrow to the quiver ..ie. good for some songs.....

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »

That lv makes you sound pretty good mrbeans. Mag pups have their place...volume! As for advice,  heck I've never recorded myself even once. Thanks for the bids.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:16:21 AM »

Yes they do give you volume...... i can keep up with drums, keyboards, and telecasters this way......I think that hunt for the "perfect" amplified acoustic sound is a bit like the search for the philosopher's stone . afro

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »

Yes they do give you volume...... i can keep up with drums, keyboards, and telecasters this way......I think that hunt for the "perfect" amplified acoustic sound is a bit like the search for the philosopher's stone . afro
I'm thinking that pickups will sound better (or worse) in certain guitars than others. Not sure, but worth a little comparing. My FIII is IS/R and has a baggs Ibeam that sounds great through the genz benz. I'll soon put an Ibeam in the walnut SD, and looking forward to comparing it's response in a very different guitar.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »

Bought a Fishman Rare earth pickup based on many good reviews. I was shocked to discover it sounds like a magnetic pickup sounds, that is to say like a hollow body electric. I took it back and traded up to an LR Baggs M80. Night and day, not even close. My Larrivee plugged in sounds my my Larrivee. If you like the hollowbody electric magnetic pickup sound go for rare earth, if you want a natural sound The LR Baggs M1 and the top of the line M80 are a far better choice.

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »

Thank you mas......in the future I will try the M1 or M80...for now I'm going to experiment with mixing the Rare earth with a microphone (Audix). I'll eventually get some new songs posted. Thank you broken......for recomending the i-beam . they seem well made too. I think alot of players will eq and add a bit of chorus or delay as well depending on your taste. Then the whole what kind of amp versus pa system comes into play. Even the size of the room  has an effect on your overall sound.  

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:32:56 AM »

After using the Fishman for a week...I am impressed!!! I do recomend this pup for this model acoustic. Again the rare earth humbucking model is a winner for me! Here is a bonus sample with effects through a Boss pedal board. I also like to use a compressor on board as well. Enjoy...sorry the battery on my phone ran out...will post the complete song later....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObk1iMUmck&feature=youtu.be

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
AtlasHeating

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 04:20:54 AM »

I used to have the Fishman rare earth blend. It had a mini mic and a control for how much blend.
The mic would pick up the brushing of my arm against the body of the guitar. I usually used it with little or no mic mixed in.
I wanted it for recording of finger style guitar which worked well. It was also good for putting it into different guitars.  Since I am more of a strummer, I removed it and sold it.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »

Keep in mind that this pickup is what it is - it's a magnetic pickup.  This means that it's only going to respond to string movement alone.  The only 'acoustic' nature of the pickup is whatever the body interaction feeds back to the string, but the dominating thing that sends signal through a magnetic pickup is the movement of the string as it responds to picking/strumming.

This is quite a bit different than piezo UST transducers, which give electrical output based on the pressure put on them, or Baggs I-beam and K+K type piezo devices where respond to bridge-plate vibration.  There you have much more of the 'wood' in the sound because instead of picking up string movement, it's full system vibration that is being picked up, strings, bridge, top, etc.

The only way for a sound-hole pup to sound more 'acoustic' is via an on-board microphone as well, and/or digital signal processing which like amp simulation, mimics the additional/subtracted frequency content of the body and rest of the guitar, to the signal being picked up from string movement alone.  The Blend model has such a mic, but being mounted in the sound-hole is less than ideal as you get the dominating body cavity resonance in the sound in the mic and will have to filter/EQ that out a bit.  This is why when recording acoustic guitars with a mic, it's almost always best not to put the mic right in front of the sound-hole for a balanced tone.  Countless guides talk about lining up the mic with the 12th fret and aim the capsule toward the sound-hole, for the best single-mic balanced tone.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »

Thanks for all the input everyone.....I have noticed that this pickup adds so much bass to the tone that my LV sounds like a Martin Dread on steroids.....luckily the Behringer mixer has a feature to cut the bass volume thus returning the balanced Larrivee tone....IMHO i think the tone of this pickup sounds very acoustic.....remember this is the Rare Earth Humbucking model....no comparison to single coil, neo-d, Dean Markley etc....have a listen not a huge difference from the acoustic tone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK2MGVQ7EQM

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 06:01:12 AM »

I've said this before, but I have used a Seymour Duncan "Acoustic Tube" soundhole pickup for many years.  It's a humbucking pickup in a tube configuration with a volume control on one end.  It's acoustic sound reproduction is pretty impressive and it snaps in and out in a few seconds.  A great way to quickly "plug in" any acoustic guitar when you need to or just want to hear how it sounds.  And don't overlook the fact that it is loud and less prone to feedback than many other types.  For gigging, or an ad hoc situation, this can be an advantage.  Less farting around with eq settings, speaker placement, and all.

Like rockstar_not said,  a digital effect or amp model that makes it sound more acoustic, makes a noticeable difference.  My little Superchamp XD has an amp model simply called "acoustic".  Apparently, it simulates playing through a Fender "Acoustisonic" amp.  The acoustic tube pickup, in several guitars I've tried, sounds pretty natural with that amp model setting.  I don't even know why  blush

I'm not claiming that one of these sound hole pickups will ever sound as naturally acoustic as the many under-the-sound-board, or combination systems.  The K&K systems I have in both of my Larrivees are more natural sounding than the acoustic tube.  But, they are more prone to feedback, need a pre-amp and a lot more tweaking to bring out their best.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: