Gordon Lightfoot interview on CBS Sunday Morning

Started by teh, December 08, 2013, 04:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice little feature about Gordon Lightfoot on this morning's CBS Sunday Morning program.

This is the first American interview I have seen since I started following his music in 1971. During that time, he has had minimal turnover in his band and has battled a number of demons and challenges over the years.

While this wasn't covered in the story it's interesting to note that currently his primary guitars are a D-18 from the late 40s and I have never seen him play anything but a relatively low end 12 String Gibson.

While he hasn't released a new album in almost 10 years and now he just tours instead, some of his best lyrics came later in his career: Restless, Drink Your Glasses Empty, Wild Strawberries, Inspiration Lady to name a few. 

I saw that article. He still tours at 75 years old, playing around 70 dates this year.  :bowdown: Nice piece they did on him. That CBS show on Sunday mornings is always really interesting.

Didn't see it. Is it available on Youtube or anything? I'm a pretty big Lightfoot fan. I still like his first album the best. I saw him at the beginning of his career and unfortunately on his last tour which was underwhelming at best. He appeared quite frail and, after his abdominal problems, he doesn't have a lot of vocal power left and it was the quietest concert I have ever seen. People left before it was over. Kind of sad.  

Quote from: Denis on December 08, 2013, 08:06:26 PM

An outstanding debut, Early Mornin Rain, Ribbon of Darkness, so many great tunes. 

Yep. Great songs. I play those and I've always done Rich Man's Spiritual. Lately, I've been fooling with Carefree Highway which, I admit with some embarrassment, I always sang along ... Every Highway. That's still what I hear.  :blush: 

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 08, 2013, 08:31:27 PM
Yep. Great songs. I play those and I've always done Rich Man's Spiritual. Lately, I've been fooling with Carefree Highway which, I admit with some embarrassment, I always sang along ... Every Highway. That's still what I hear.  :blush: 

Lol, "every highway", that is one of the many misunderstood lyrics out there. I thought it was "every highway" too until I heard the name of the song. Like you I still find myself wanting to sing "every" rather than "carefree" when I hear that tune.

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 08, 2013, 08:31:27 PM

I've been attending the Lightfoot Tribute at Hugh's Room in Toronto for many years, and Jory always leads the full group with Rich Man's Spiritual to close the show.  Always very powerful...(I'm kinda' humming it now at work.  Thanks Duck)

I was about 4 when I started listening to that record.  My mom had it.  My sister is a year old so she had started kindergarten, my brother wouldn't be born for another year or so, I'd stay home all day with my mom.  I'd watch Mr Dressup, Friendly Giant, Sesame Street...and I'd listen to Lightfoot!....and Hello, my name is Johnny Cash:

Quote from: Denis on December 11, 2013, 01:20:25 PM
I was about 4 when I started listening to that record.  My mom had it.  My sister is a year old so she had started kindergarten, my brother wouldn't be born for another year or so, I'd stay home all day with my mom.  I'd watch Mr Dressup, Friendly Giant, Sesame Street...and I'd listen to Lightfoot!....and Hello, my name is Johnny Cash:

Now that's good raising!  :cheers