New D-03

Started by 1954Gold, January 28, 2004, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just bought a new D-03 from EM Shorts. Here's my two cents... delivered price was $649 and quality is unbelievable. First thing I did was get rid of the Elixirs and put on Martin Phosphor Bronze Mediums and then have my luthier lower the action and groove the bridge. With the Martin strings, the D-03 revealed amazing tone which is slowly getting better as it opens up. What a great solid guitar for a reasonable price! Understand that the Canadian Dollar, Ottawa, and NAFTA give Larrivee the edge over US makers, but the quality is supreme. Actually tried hard to buy US but could only come up with lams in this price range. Only problems are a slight blotch on the headstock, small knot in the ebony fingerboard, bridge pins which were popping up while changing the strings, and of course the strings supplied. What turned me around was the Larrivee website with factory tour and interview with Jean Larrivee!

1954Gold welcome to the club.Great guitar you bought,very under valued,enjoy :blink:  unclBrain dead to day
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote1954Gold welcome to the club.Great guitar you bought,very under valued,enjoy :blink:  unclBrain dead to day
Thanks. Yep, it is a great guitar at a great price. Also bought my Les Paul R7 03 from EM Shorts for a similar deal. Hope the Larrivee bridge grooving and ramping does not affect the warranty, but Larivee seems pretty liberal in this regard. Anyway, nice forum here you got here, I was lucky to find it.

Setup does not void the warr.They know everone has there own taste.Really nice company.Enjoy. :blink:  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteSetup does not void the warr.They know everone has there own taste.Really nice company.Enjoy. :blink:
Is the cutting of grooves in the bridge and bridgeplate "setup" or elective surgery?

Setup
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

By the way the 54 Les Paul is the only Paul I would own if I still played electric's.We have a 54 in shop that I'm getting temted to buy just because.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteBy the way the 54 Les Paul is the only Paul I would own if I still played electric's.We have a 54 in shop that I'm getting temted to buy just because.
- I am glad you say setup cause I was concerned, however, I have confidence in the luthier since he does work for Springsteen and James Taylor. Over at the Martin thread they are discussing Bryan's ramping and grooving vis a vis the Martin warranty. Again, I was really impressed with Larrivee and pulled the trigger on the Larrivee vs the made in US Martin D-1.  I like an acoustic for blues, folk ect. Martin and Gibson, Gibson especially, better wake up or Larrivee will eat their lunches! And I am a die hard Gibson maniac.

- I post on the Les Paul Forum. was born in 54 and love Goldtops, but I am strictly a humbucker guy for blues so I bounced for the R7.  P90's don't really get me excited and I do like the ABR-1.

- Pristine 54s are getting harder to come by as many of these have been converted (butchered) to make 57s. If the price is right and there are no issues, your 54 might be worth investing in. Gotta know LPs before pulling the trigger.... I hear a 60 burst went for 140K on Ebay in a matter of hours today.

I now my old guitars well.I know a dealer asking........SIT DOWN PLEASE.......$225,000.00 and he's got a couple of drooler's.Nice but I love how attack sensivtive P90's are and the wrap around sort of gives that acoustic feel to me in a Tele demented way. B)  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteI now my old guitars well.I know a dealer asking........SIT DOWN PLEASE.......$225,000.00 and he's got a couple of drooler's.Nice but I love how attack sensivtive P90's are and the wrap around sort of gives that acoustic feel to me in a Tele demented way. B)
$225K for a 1954 Les Paul???? Not a burst?? Do I understand you correctly? Gimme a break.... last I heard 50's LPs without issues were in the $20,000 -$30,000 range. You might want to drop in at the Les Paul Forum and bounce this off some of the guys there.  

Sorry that's for a 58 thru 60 burst.
original 57 goldtops are now up in the 45K yo 60K range.We just sold a 56 goldtop for 16K and a 54 for 12K.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

$225K for a 58-60 burst is still too much IMHO. I can see the run up in non Norlin Gibsons, but I think this is cylical and will correct. In the 80's you couldn't give a LP away. What I do not understand is the run up in LP Deluxes from the Norlin era. Their price levels have to crash since it makes no sense to buy a 1975 boat anchor with three piece body when you can get a RI for the same amount.

That's the problem,companies reissue a guitar and the original goesup.Maybe Gibson is has a stash someplace then they do a reissue making the originals worth more sell both ends and get rich.Nothing like an original to some.Have you seen the reissue Firebirds.I think I sold a 57 reissue to a guy who hang's on the LP site,I think he's from new Jersey.Said I didn't tell him the truth about a re 57 I believe it was a NOS 2001 he said it really was a 91,returned it sold a guy who walked in said he come in just for that guitar.Drove down from Atlanta really happy man.I always believe the only reissue that Gison did right were the 54,56 and 57.I've had achance to play all 3 up against originals and if the pickup's had a little club wear on them they would be interchangable.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

congrats on the new d03.  em shorts is where i got my d03 blackwood.  $599 used and the best money i've ever spent. i serioulsy could not tell that mine was used...not a scrach, dent, or anything. the case was flawless as well. i don't see how they sell stuff so cheap....they undersell everyone all day long!!  i also bought my k&k pure from them.  i would highly recommend it for the d03 if you ever want to add some electronics.  

when you get a chance, go to the sam ash website and see how they are ripping people off on the larrivee's. it's really a shame compared to what em shorts will/can do for you.  sam ash should be ashamed.  
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

Thanks... glad to see another EM fan here. I will probably stick with them for my next purchase, but it pays to shop around and it's easy today on the internet. There are really no deals in New York on anything... plus if you are in the City you get socked with 8 5/8% sales tax!

Very good price for a D-03. I bought a new D-03E w/fishman prefix plus for $771 shippped about 3 years ago from E.M.Shorts. Was very pleased with them. The first D-03E I bought must have been a blem so I returned it for a perfect one.

I sold my D-03 to a good friend of mine who absolutely loves it. I wanted to buy a solid rosewood Martin with the money from the sale. I do miss the Mahogany Larrivee at times though and maybe I'll get another one some day as a companion to my Martin D-16RGT, which I love.

Jeff
Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin

QuoteVery good price for a D-03. I bought a new D-03E w/fishman prefix plus for $771 shippped about 3 years ago from E.M.Shorts. Was very pleased with them. The first D-03E I bought must have been a blem so I returned it for a perfect one.

I sold my D-03 to a good friend of mine who absolutely loves it. I wanted to buy a solid rosewood Martin with the money from the sale. I do miss the Mahogany Larrivee at times though and maybe I'll get another one some day as a companion to my Martin D-16RGT, which I love.

Jeff
I wound up giving the D-03 as a Christmas present, so I will be in the market again this spring for an acoustic. Heard alot of good things about the Martin D-16RGT, but I think I will stick with Larrivee based on my D-03 experience.

giggle'sand grin's check out the D03R something a little diff
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks