Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebony Tuner Knobs to Larrivée L-09CE  (Read 3577 times)
Anders451

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2013, 12:13:25 AM »

Hello, fellow forummembers!

A couple of winters ago I made a thread here, explaining my concerns about a possible crack in my guitar.
Even though a crack never occured in the body, one of my tuner knobs took a blow. The crack was small however and didn't matter much when it came to function.
Until now... the knob isn't tight enough to make tuning possible (I hope you understand what I mean), so I ordered a new knob.
According to Larrivée customer support, the tuner knobs on my guitar are Schaller. So I ordered them but they aren't looking the same and doesn't fit.
When I bought the guitar, the seller said the tuners were Gotohs but I really doubt that as they are standard with "Larrivée" label on the back. 
Here's a picture:

I would be grateful if anyone knows what kind of tuner knobs they are, or even better, where I can buy them. I've been looking for information but can't find it.

As it's been long since I last came here, take these  and some 

Regards,

04' Larrivée L-09 Collectors Edition 26 of 50
90s' Yamaha Classical

Q: How many guitars does a man need?
A: One more.

I'm from Sweden. The home of Levin, Hagström & Sundberg Guitars.
We also ride polarbears to work on a daily basis. Yes, it's true.
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:06:23 AM »

It would help to see the back of the headstock to help identify the maker.

Are you saying they have the name  Larrivee on them?  They are often (usually ) Pings which are hard to find knobs for after market. I know they have used Schallers often and perhaps Gotoh, but I do not know if they had their name on them.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »

Most wooden tuner buttons have an insert inside them (the part that slides on the the post of the tuner) on many occasions this insert just wears out, I've had mine repaired with out getting new buttons.
Either way Stewmac offers ebony bottons for most tuning machines.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
gxs3000

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 02:19:56 AM »

I bought Schaller replacement  knobs from Stewart MacDonald and they worked fine, part number 3059 $25 for a set of 6.  I went from chrome to ebony.
datdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »

I bought Schaller replacement  knobs from Stewart MacDonald and they worked fine, part number 3059 $25 for a set of 6.  I went from chrome to ebony.

I bought these very ones for my 2013 LV-10 and they did not fit.  Had to return them.

Michael

Larrivee LV-10 2013
Michael Gee classical 2003
Martin D12X1AE 12 string
Alvarez AP66
Gretsch 5420t Electromatic
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »

If the button is only cracked and you can't find another to fit properly, a little super glue in the cracks and let it dry well clamped tight. Then just polish out the surface of the knob. It may have a high gloss where the crack line is or that could be lightly sanded off then smooth out the knob overall.

I have many different ebony knobs, but don't know which ones would be an exact fit for yours. Even the ones on my F-III are a bit loose fitting, but I like the look of ebony and the tuners stay in tune just fine anyway.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
gxs3000

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 07:09:13 AM »

Weird, I don't remember having any problems with them, went right on.  QC problem, maybe.

I bought these very ones for my 2013 LV-10 and they did not fit.  Had to return them.

Michael
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:24:59 AM »

Michael
Weird, I don't remember having any problems with them, went right on.  QC problem, maybe.

If I'm not mistaken, Larrivee did not use Ping tuners on the 5, 9 and 10 series during 2013.  I thought they had switched to those JCL logo'ed tuners.  That could be why the knobs didn't fit.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 01:21:15 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, Larrivee did not use Ping tuners on the 5, 9 and 10 series during 2013.  I thought they had switched to those JCL logo'ed tuners.  That could be why the knobs didn't fit.
+1  Called Faradyne Tuners

Good luck on finding a knob that will fit if these are what you have

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 02:08:20 AM »

I'd bet the price of lunch that those are PINGS with "Schaller Style" knobs.

Good luck finding replacements.  If you do, please let us all know where.  I'd love some nice Schaller style Ebony knobs for my D-03 without having to change out the entire tuners.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Anders451

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »

It would help to see the back of the headstock to help identify the maker.

Sure

So basically, I ordered a set from Stewart after recieving an e-mail from Larrivée customer support that told me that they would fit. The same as gxs3000 got. After waiting 2 weeks for the package to arrive, it was no surprise to find that these didn't fit either.
Most depressing. The search goes on. The tuners are great and I don't want to change them (and why should I, only because 1 knob is broken?).

90s' Yamaha Classical

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »

The only way to be sure would be to measure the tuner stem with a caliper. You could even take a few close up pics with the caliper on the tuner stem. Then I could check the ebony tuner knobs I have and if a set would fit I will let you have them. But it would be best to be precise in the measurements  at this point. To be sure we send you the correct set across the big pond.

Anders451

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »

The only way to be sure would be to measure the tuner stem with a caliper. You could even take a few close up pics with the caliper on the tuner stem. Then I could check the ebony tuner knobs I have and if a set would fit I will let you have them. But it would be best to be precise in the measurements  at this point. To be sure we send you the correct set across the big pond.

Thank you, Danny. I will PM you once I get the time. I would compensate you for your troubles of course.
Regards,

90s' Yamaha Classical

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 05:21:55 AM »

One of these days we need to get caliper or micrometer measurements on every available tuner that has ever been on a Larrivee and make it a sticky.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

gxs3000

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44:05 PM »

One of these days we need to get caliper or micrometer measurements on every available tuner that has ever been on a Larrivee and make it a sticky.

That would be awesome.  This seems to be a bit of a pain.

I had good luck with the StewMac buttons, and thought . . . Koa would look cool, so I ordered a set of Koa buttons that said they would fit the same gears (somewhere, not StewMac).  Guess what? No joy!

Here are the StewMac ebony buttons on my gears.  My gears are stock, but the look like they have an 'S' on them.

Geo
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »

That would be awesome.  This seems to be a bit of a pain.

I had good luck with the StewMac buttons, and thought . . . Koa would look cool, so I ordered a set of Koa buttons that said they would fit the same gears (somewhere, not StewMac).  Guess what? No joy!

Here are the StewMac ebony buttons on my gears.  My gears are stock, but the look like they have an 'S' on them.

Geo
Those are Schaller tuners made in Germany. I consider them upgrades.

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 02:28:00 AM »

Those are Schaller tuners made in Germany. I consider them upgrades.

Agreed, major upgrade over the standard Pings. 

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

gxs3000

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 01:10:46 AM »

Huh, I bought it new, it says Special Edition Parlor.  I guess that is what its special.
Thanks,
GS
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 01:30:39 AM »

Huh, I bought it new, it says Special Edition Parlor.  I guess that is what its special.
Thanks,
GS
Special but not b/c of the tuners. Larrivee often uses Schallers sometimes by spec sometimes just because. If I remember, your P may be longer scale (24.5")?

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »

Agreed, major upgrade over the standard Pings. 
Those are odd Schallers.  They are minis, and Schaller minis have a different screw location that those.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: