NGD - Larrivee P-03WL

Started by wookieboys, November 28, 2013, 09:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie who bought donuts...

I finally took the plunge and sourced myself a Larrivee parlour, here she is...

She sounds sweet. Does anybody know what the "L" in the model name represents? Also, I read that these models were all made in USA, but the manufacturers label says handcrafted in Canada. Do Larrivee build this model in both factories?

As a first time Larrivee owner I wondered what you experts made of the pattern on the headstock. Do you think it is unusual, I haven't seen it on a Larrivee before.

Also, there is a strange line perpendicular to the grain of the wood on the right of the lower bout. The surface is smooth but it looks like an imperfection, is it normal, or anything to worry about. I've tried to capture it in this picture...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi and thanks for the donuts. How about some   :coffee with those, and don't forget to wash your hands before picking up your new guitar. My SD has the WL designation. I think it is for WaLnut and may indicate a different variety of walnut, since there are a few. Mine is Peruvian. Can we see a shot of the back? I wouldn't give another thought to the tops looks. For a perfect looking top,  buy the high end series. You have a very unique guitar...very cool peghead.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

How rude of me, here is your coffee everyone. Happy dunkin'...

On a similar note, here is the back. Peruvian Walnut, rich and warm...

I've just spent a few hours in her company and I am loving the depth of her tone.

I checked with the dealer and the L is the designation given to this limited production run.

Very nice guitar! Welcome to the forum, the parlors are great guitars.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Welcome.  I love the striped headstock.  This just a natural part of the ebony.

Oh. So the L is 'L'imited. Well thanks for the info. I have wondered about that myself. Set straight.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Strings4Him on November 28, 2013, 01:48:14 PM

:welcome:

Yes, all it means is that Larrivee doesn't dye their woods like SOME guitar companies do...

Tell us more about the sound of Peruvian Walnut...

:nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Nice! Congrats!
In so far as I've seen, some of the Peruvian walnuts are labeled "PW" and Claro walnuts "WL" though I don't think that's a hard rule.  

Striped ebony is the future now that all- black is almost gone.  I love it.

The grain on the top looks normal, definitely not anything bad.  From what I've read, darker lines indicate longer/harder winters when the tree was growing.  Waves can come from twisting (wind or bending toward the sun).  I don't really have any real knowledge in that area though other than reading a few articles.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the positive comments

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 28, 2013, 02:10:11 PM
Tell us more about the sound of Peruvian Walnut...

I don't know how much is down to Larrivee or the Peruvian Walnut but the highs sparkle and the sustain is wonderful. Every note seems to have clarity and depth. It's hard to believe that with time it could sound even better.

Unique sweet little guitar.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

:welcome: Thanks for the donuts and coffee.   :nice guitar:

The top is normal, or maybe a better description would be natural.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: wookieboys on November 28, 2013, 04:02:55 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and the positive comments

I don't know how much is down to Larrivee or the Peruvian Walnut but the highs sparkle and the sustain is wonderful. Every note seems to have clarity and depth. It's hard to believe that with time it could sound even better.
Sounds like a fine guitar and a keeper. Thanks for the donuts and welcome to the forum.

Welcome from a Canadian member.

Kurt in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: Strings4Him on November 28, 2013, 01:48:14 PM

I have some ebony stock that I use for repairs, and it has the cream stripes in it.  I love it, it makes the instrument as unique as a finger print, as does the striping in the top.  This is all normal and beautiful.

That is one gorgeous walnut guitar. Congratulations.