Double Tops

Started by Fergy07, January 26, 2005, 08:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was reading in this months AG about the classicals and the trend toward double tops...I've heard this before, but always in relation to nylon string stringed guitars. Has anyone heard if any steel string guitar makers have tried this with any success?

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Not that I'm aware of.  However, if you want to see (and more importantly hear) a truly innovative top, check out Babitz (sp?)

I think I may have tried the Babitz...is that the one which has the string fanning out from the bridge across the lower bout? If so, it didn't do much for me, but it might have been more the concept then the guitar.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

QuoteI was reading in this months AG about the classicals and the trend toward double tops...I've heard this before, but always in relation to nylon string stringed guitars. Has anyone heard if any steel string guitar makers have tried this with any success?

Andy
Last summer I had stopped by the Leeds Guitar School where I chatted for a while with Ivon Schmukler. He spoke at length about multi-layer tops with honeycomb and other materials in the core.

He might be inclined to attempt it. At the time he didn't have any planned, but he's an adventurous guy.

http://www.leedsguitar.com/Guitarbuilders....alleryivon.html

Paolo
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. "

Bil Mitchell HG 00 -  all Walnut
Everett Laurel O
Larri LV05MT
Larri LV09 Custom All Walnut
Larri LV-03RE-12
Larri J05
Larri SE Parlor Walnut
Tacoma C3C - peeling finish
Martin 000-17