Vancouver moving production to Oxnard?

Started by 247hoopsfan, November 05, 2013, 03:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: abalone at last on November 09, 2013, 09:37:25 AM
I just saw that too Riverbend...they really are moving folks....for anyone who doesn't know ,,,Godin guitares are made in Canada and include the brands Godin, Norman ,Seagull, S&P, A&L,,,I'm going to start looking for another nice Seagull Folk....

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/22997/Guitars/Acoustic/Godin_Guitars/Coastline_Acoustic_Guitar_-_Cedar_Folk.htm#Description-tab

Not all Godins are made in Canada.

I agree with my fellow Canadians that it's quite sad that Larrivée guitars are ending Canadian production. However, it's part of expanding beyond the a big fish in a small pond  type of situation that has for decades seen Canadians of talent going south to tap that ocean of opportunity in the USA. It's just reality. Stompin' Tom was an anomaly. The exception that proves the point? He only played American built guitars, though, come to think of it.  

True duck but consider this......which plant actually built and shipped more guitars this year. Is the U.S. plant bigger and better, or was the Canadian plant selling so many 03's it was hurting the bottom line at Oxnard. Most here have said the 03's sound just as good as the 05-09....and when you're shopping brick and mortar, and online as well, you see alot of 03's!! that being said I don't have a problem with 03's being built in the USA. Bear in mind if they follow the footsteps of Fender and Taylor the 03's may keep moving south 5 years down the road.Adios 03's!!

And what about this?? is this killing Larrivee Vancouver's trade with Europe?? you'd think it would be a good think for Larri/Canada....i thought Larrivee wanted to keep expandin sales in the Euro zone,,..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/eu-harper/article14924915/
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Quote from: abalone at last on November 09, 2013, 10:04:29 AM
True duck but consider this......which plant actually built and shipped more guitars this year. Is the U.S. plant bigger and better, or was the Canadian plant selling so many 03's it was hurting the bottom line at Oxnard. Most here have said the 03's sound just as good as the 05-09....and when you're shopping brick and mortar, and online as well, you see alot of 03's!! that being said I don't have a problem with 03's being built in the USA. Bear in mind if they follow the footsteps of Fender and Taylor the 03's may keep moving south 5 years down the road. Adios amigos.  :coffee

Well, that's probably true and most of those guitars were sold in the US. So shipping and borders becomes a bigger problem, I would think. The Canadian market just isn't that big and Canadian guitarists are, on the whole, not that loyal to Canadian builders. 

Quote from: zenith_inferno on November 08, 2013, 02:31:56 PM
My wonder would be, if they move south to make shipping in the US easier, will it change anything for shipping to Canada now? Either in terms of price or availability?

Remember, only 02-03 are made in Canada....any other Larrivees currently sold in Canada are already made in USA.

All true guys...plus this opens the door for a forum acoustic made in USA....what are we up to? or who's to say a couple of builders at the wood plant in B.C. couldn't still make a few Made in Canada Larrivee special orders........
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 09, 2013, 10:11:33 AM
Well, that's probably true and most of those guitars were sold in the US. So shipping and borders becomes a bigger problem, I would think. The Canadian market just isn't that big and Canadian guitarists are, on the whole, not that loyal to Canadian builders. 

Larrivee does huge business in Europe, but they also do huge business with Asia.  They are truly a global company.  JCL spends most of his time traveling.....both selling guitars AND buying wood.  I am not sure that most Larrivees are sold in the USA, but I wouldn't bet money on that. 

Quote from: Gary787 on November 09, 2013, 09:32:04 AM
Whoa what?? TRULY love and respect? :rolleye: I am sure the Larrivee's are nice people but I have no emotional attachment to the family. That's a little too Creepy for me FULL STOP. I was a little bummed out but I am almost over it.
Good luck and best wishes to Jean and Matthew I hope you find what you are looking for. Jr. Keep chopping :beer

Not creepy, as others have stated , they are fine people.
I've known Jean since the early seventies, as well as the the original Toronto crew that worked with him.
It's hard not to have some kind of emotional attachment (how ever vague) to the folks who helped build the guitar you play, and share your music with others on.
Yes, as a flag waving, card carrying, foot stomping Canadian guitar owner (several Larrivee's, several Godin's, Oskar Graf etc.,) not having Larrivee's built here, after such a successful trajectory since leaving Toronto will be difficult, but again, I defer to the importance of the Family and their personal choices.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: Walkerman on November 09, 2013, 10:13:40 AM
Remember, only 02-03 are made in Canada....any other Larrivees currently sold in Canada are already made in USA.

I am aware. It was the 02-03 models I was wondering about.
All left handed:
Larrivee D-03R
Larrivee RS-4 Root Beer
Cole Clark FL1AC
Godin Exit 22
La Patrie Concert

"California Here We Come."     :cheers       Very best wishes to the Larrivee family.   They make fine guitars, and there are good business reasons for the move. There are also a number of Larrivee family mouths and employees mouths to feed.  My Canadian built Larrivees will all soon be increasing in value as collector models. They are not making them any more.  My business brain says....."Hold those Canadian built Larrivees, and do not sell them."    :cheers
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: Walkerman on November 08, 2013, 08:49:00 AM
Duck....will you all take Justin Bieber back...puleeeeze???????

Nooo, we don't want him back! He's gone Britany Spears!

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 09, 2013, 09:47:54 AM
Not all Godins are made in Canada.

I agree with my fellow Canadians that it's quite sad that Larrivée guitars are ending Canadian production. However, it's part of expanding beyond the a big fish in a small pond  type of situation that has for decades seen Canadians of talent going south to tap that ocean of opportunity in the USA. It's just reality. Stompin' Tom was an anomaly. The exception that proves the point? He only played American built guitars, though, come to think of it.  

You beat me to it, my Godin Freeway is made in the US from Canadian parts. I think in todays economic climate this is a smart move, as a Canadian I feel a bit sad but if it means the difference between growth and long term economic health of the company I'm all for it. Just means I'll cherish the made in Canada Larrivees we own even more.