Vancouver moving production to Oxnard?

Started by 247hoopsfan, November 05, 2013, 03:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well at least a lot of them will still be partly made of Canuck trees.
L-03 Italian Spruce

No offence Joyce this has nothing to do with resistance to change because I am getting older. I wanted Canadian made guitars. I have no issues with my sisters and brothers wanting American made guitars. In fact I can only imagine how strong the industry would be if this were the case. This is a personal issue. I am loyal to a fault, I am a little hurt by Canadian heritage leaving the country. It's a sad day for me. Maybe I am alone.
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

Quote from: headsup on November 05, 2013, 07:55:17 PM
From one guy in a basement somewhere in Toronto Ontario,
then adding  one apprentice,
then a move to small shop, another apprentice or two, maybe 4 or 5, (linda, dave, tony, grit,)
then another move to a larger shop, eventually a move across the country to an island, and more new builders,
Then  a move to a bigger shop yet on the mainland adding more machines, more builders.
Then a shop opening in California, more builders, newer and better machines, better guitars, better sales, better markets.

was I the only one who saw this coming?

...and Larrivee was the first guitar in space ... so watch for the opening of production facilities on the moon in 2033... (hey, that's only 20 years, folks...)

:humour:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Gary787 on November 06, 2013, 02:32:02 PM
No offence Joyce this has nothing to do with resistance to change because I am getting older. I wanted Canadian made guitars. I have no issues with my sisters and brothers wanting American made guitars. In fact I can only imagine how strong the industry would be if this were the case. This is a personal issue. I am loyal to a fault, I am a little hurt by Canadian heritage leaving the country. It's a sad day for me. Maybe I am alone.
I too initially felt this way, but the more I thought about it the less it bothered me. There is no denying these are tough times for all the guitar industry so for a smaller builder like Larrivve to operate 2 facilities in two countries must be very challenging. Merging into one has got to be good for the company and that to me means more to me then where in North America they are located.
I think this move will improve the company by being able to focus on one operation and one customer service.
Overall I see this as a big positive!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 06, 2013, 03:40:58 PM
I too initially felt this way, but the more I thought about it the less it bothered me. There is no denying these are tough times for all the guitar industry so for a smaller builder like Larrivve to operate 2 facilities in two countries must be very challenging. Merging into one has got to be good for the company and that to me means more to me then where in North America they are located.
I think this move will improve the company by being able to focus on one operation and one customer service.
Overall I see this as a big positive!

:+1:  I wonder what the forum chatter was/would have been like when Larrivee decided to open its shop in the USA?  Was it even a concern to some?

As a dual US-Canadian citizen, I am not bothered by the move.  It's still a multi-state venture, now with clearly defined roles.

My main concern is that QC not take a dive with the changes.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: Strings4Him on November 06, 2013, 04:14:24 PM
:+1:  I wonder what the forum chatter was/would have been like when Larrivee decided to open its shop in the USA?  Was it even a concern to some?

At the time everyone the big rumor/expectation was that Larrivee was going to buy the Tacoma facility in Washington.  From a business perspective that seemed to be a really good idea. (skilled employee pool, driving distance from Vancouver, etc)

The California plant was a complete surprise.  Jean apparently likes sunlight.

Quote from: AZLiberty on November 06, 2013, 08:22:47 PM
At the time everyone the big rumor/expectation was that Larrivee was going to buy the Tacoma facility in Washington.  From a business perspective that seemed to be a really good idea. (skilled employee pool, driving distance from Vancouver, etc)

The California plant was a complete surprise.  Jean apparently likes sunlight.
:? wow that's a surprise to me as thought the move dated the Forum creation by a couple of years  :? Or do you mean a surprise outside this Forum  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: prof_stack on November 06, 2013, 06:36:40 PM
As a dual US-Canadian citizen, I am not bothered by the move.  It's still a multi-state venture, now with clearly defined roles.

My main concern is that QC not take a dive with the changes.

?????

Let me see...Jean, Wendy and Matt are making guitars in Oxnard.  Not sure I'd worry about QC

Quote from: Walkerman on November 06, 2013, 09:07:33 PM
?????

Let me see...Jean, Wendy and Matt are making guitars in Oxnard.  Not sure I'd worry about QC
What do you see?  I see a larger workforce with more demands. 

My comments were based on recent QC issues with the 40 series as JDL mentioned as well as a few I've experienced with my Larrivee's. 
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 06, 2013, 08:42:55 PM
  :? wow that's a surprise to me as thought the move dated the Forum creation by a couple of years  :? Or do you mean a surprise outside this Forum  :?

Before we had Forums we had this think called "usenet".  Mathew was actually a fairly regular contributor over on Rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic back in the day.   Actually there are a lot of folks who used to hang out over on RMMGA who are on the Acoustic Guitar Forum these days.

But yeah, the rumors were that Larrivee was going to move their US production (which they had been planning) into the Tacoma factory when Tacoma went bankrupt.  At the time it was pretty clear that Tacoma wasn't going to make it, but they had a lot of talented people and a fairly modern factory.

Quote from: prof_stack on November 06, 2013, 09:26:37 PM
What do you see?  I see a larger workforce with more demands. 

My comments were based on recent QC issues with the 40 series as JDL mentioned as well as a few I've experienced with my Larrivee's. 

I see a family known for making top notch guitars

I can't see Jean Larrivee making a bad business decision. Part of me feels sad about
Canadian production moving ,but at the end of the day it will strengthen the brand
sell guitars ,and ensure Larrivee continues to be strong top brand contender.
Gibson J-45 TV
Martin D-18
Martin OM-21

Larrivee may leave the Great White North but hey ... we are not exactly deprived of great guitar makers.  Let see there is Morgan, Thompson, Webber, Manzer, Godin, Wren, de Jonge, Duggan-Smith, Northwood, just to name a few.  For those of us who are committed to shopping at home there seems to be lots to choose from, all excellent in their own right.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Quote from: webberink on November 07, 2013, 12:22:26 AM
Larrivee may leave the Great White North but hey ... we are not exactly deprived of great guitar makers.  Let see there is Morgan, Thompson, Webber, Manzer, Godin, Wren, de Jonge, Duggan-Smith, Northwood, just to name a few.  For those of us who are committed to shopping at home there seems to be lots to choose from, all excellent in their own right.
Dave

And most apprenticed with JCL!
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

This is very true but.... I have been looking to replace my L03R with  a Morgan and if I can get $700 for my Larrivee I have to come up with another $2300 for a base rosewood guitar. I am looking at Halcyon as a Canadian alternative but I have never seen one. Oh well time to get over it. The Americans get a great guitar maker and I am truly happy for them and I hope it makes the Larrivee's richer for it, and if they ever move production to China I won't care. :roll
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

Monday I  sent emails to the general Larrivee address and to a couple folks inside Larrivee asking for confirmation of the consolidation. I heard nothing back. So I wonder if there is a hush order...perhaps until Larrivee officially announces it.   

It is all but confirmed at this point, so no matter. But I find the silence interesting.

ON the QC issue, it is my hope that building their guitars at one location helps Larrivee dial in its QC process. Great guitars, but some room for improvement in QC IMHO. I see it as an opportunity to make great guitars even better.   :smile:
P-03R/IS

Spruce on top...

I think, if true, it is  a bit of sad news for Canada and, unfortunately, most probably don't even know it. That said, I'm looking at moving to the States too so I can understand the nature of change, the value of warmer weather and lure of "the great Satan". Hah!
Anyway, I'm positive Larrivée guitars will only get better and look forward to new electrics, maybe a hollow body and an 03 mandolin.  :thumb   

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 07, 2013, 11:41:34 AM

Anyway, I'm positive Larrivée guitars will only get better and look forward to new electrics, maybe a hollow body and an 03 mandolin.  :thumb   

Hmmm...that means you'll have to go back to work (or sell off some instruments).  :wink:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

They just made a formal announcement on their Facebook page. Well, that's assuming Facebook is "official" anything...???
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)