Vancouver moving production to Oxnard?

Started by 247hoopsfan, November 05, 2013, 03:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the rumor true that Vancouver is being turned into a wood processing plant and that all guitars will be made in Oxnard?

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

There's a thread about it on the AGF.  To me it's still just a rumor.
Steve ....aka the SMan

The heavy hitters on the AGF seem to believe it. Sad day!  :crying:
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

Quote from: Gary787 on November 05, 2013, 06:13:52 PM
The heavy hitters on the AGF seem to believe it. Sad day!  :crying:

I believe it is confirmed by Ed Bond on the AGF thread.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316430

In any case, I wonder how Larrivee is going to handle the production of its 02 and 03 series. It seems they will have to expand their Oxnard operation. Just based what online dealers have in stock, the 03 series is a significant part (majority?) of their market.

It is, in a sense, sad to see a brand largely known as Canadian discontinuing their Canadian operations. But I'm sure the folks at Larrivee based their decision on sound reasoning.

Larrivee...made in the USA.

More info from a Larrivee dealer on the AGF thread: "I do know that the email they sent dealers indicated that they're shifting Vancouver to full-time sawmilling."

Milled in BC, Made in the USA.

I fail to see how it is a sad day.  I have faith in the Larrivee family/business to produce outstanding guitars wherever they chose to have their factory. 

Ed

Well Ed you don't have to see why I think it's a sad day. It's just more Canadian heritage gone. Just my opinion.
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

As was my comment, just an opinion.

I just read the AG Forum thread...  as ever, a bunch of drama queens for the most part.  Larrivee is making business decisions, as Martin has done over the years, and Taylor, etc.  My interest is in the product, that is high quality guitars and not where they are put together.  Everyone else should make decisions based on their own set of priorities.

Ed

From one guy in a basement somewhere in Toronto Ontario,
then adding  one apprentice,
then a move to small shop, another apprentice or two, maybe 4 or 5, (linda, dave, tony, grit,)
then another move to a larger shop, eventually a move across the country to an island, and more new builders,
Then  a move to a bigger shop yet on the mainland adding more machines, more builders.
Then a shop opening in California, more builders, newer and better machines, better guitars, better sales, better markets.

was I the only one who saw this coming?
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I guess if its on the AGF it must be true.  :laughin:
Steve ....aka the SMan

Matthew....ET needs to call home to the Forum. What the.....is going on?
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: SMan on November 05, 2013, 08:57:46 PM
I guess if its on the AGF it must be true.  :laughin:

No, but Tinker/Halcyon Guitars confirmed it.  Ed has been a Larrivee employee for 17 years, and has been building Tinker Guitars part time and will be transitioning to full time as a result of the re-org.

Maybe the family just wants to live together in BC. Seems reasonable.

Although I am a Canadian, the Long and McQuade chain really does little to 'showcase' Larrivee products. Their Larrivee stock is very limited, unless you only want a D, L or perhaps an OM. They are in stock, but the 'made in the USA' products are really the big movers. If I want to see a OO-05 or OO-05, I gotta purchase from a US based online retailer or perhaps over he phone at the 12th fret.

So perhaps the 'made in the USA' label will put them on equal footing to the USA models, marketing wise. They were always there product wise.  :nana_guitar
Life is too short to play crappy guitars....

Larrivee OM-40 RW w. LR Baggs Lyric
Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60

when i started the big move thread i had just got the news but couldn't hardly believe it. so i guess its true. interesting how all the forum members have reacted to the news. some think its ok and some not so ok????

I certainly feel bad for the affected workers.  Beyond that its probably a business decision more than likely based on the best interests of the company.
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: roscoesmusic on November 06, 2013, 06:00:37 AM
interesting how all the forum members have reacted to the news. some think its ok and some not so ok????

that's pretty typical for most issues....nothing is black and white...always shades of gray.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: roscoesmusic on November 06, 2013, 06:00:37 AM
interesting how all the forum members have reacted to the news. some think its ok and some not so ok????
for the most part and as we age, we are somewhat resistant to change
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

It is true, Oxnard will be doing all production in the near future.  Unfortunately the border issues and cross shipping of the 03 Series to the US added quite a bit to the cost, in addition to the fish and wildlife fees added to every shipment that leaves Canada. It is somewhat sad to think that Larrivee will no longer be doing regular production in Canada, but it makes business sense and in today's world you can't afford to make decisions that hurt the bottom line.  Vancouver will still be busy with wood processing, and a lot of the luthiers will be coming down to Oxnard to help with the increased production. 
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

soon...Robert Godin will once again be king of Canadian made guitars,,,,btw I love my simon and patrick mini-jumbo cedar.
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Besides my Larrivee I also support my neighbors to the north by owning a Seagull SM12 and a Godin Multiac.   :winkin:
Steve ....aka the SMan