Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vancouver moving production to Oxnard?  (Read 13833 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »

Toronto has a Mayor? whistling

Today, I will play my Toronto made 71 D all day!

I'm sure the Larrivee family are being generous to the current employees in Vancouver.
Clearly John Jr. with his love of the raw wood will still be in charge there.

Matt was pretty clear about the complexities and extra expense of getting Canadian guitars to US markets, in a highly competitive market.
The integrity of the Larrivee family is stellar, I will always be a proud owner and player, both on and off stage.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Gary787

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »

How do you feel about Neil Young? Joni Mitchell? William Shatner? Lorne Green? Jim Carrey? Sheesh. This is not the first time a Canadian has realized that it's better for business south of the border. It won't be the last either.      
Interesting question I've never tried to purchase any of the people listed and was completely unaware they were for sale. I am not anti American I am pro Canadian. I made 100% of living here working in peoples homes fixing furnaces and air conditioners. By supporting Canadian manufacturers and working people I am just paying back what I owe.

Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »

Interesting question I've never tried to purchase any of the people listed and was completely unaware they were for sale. I am not anti American I am pro Canadian. I made 100% of living here working in peoples homes fixing furnaces and air conditioners. By supporting Canadian manufacturers and working people I am just paying back what I owe.

Now, you're being disingenuous. Have you ever bought a record or paid to see a movie with any of the folks I mentioned? You're not purchasing anyone in the Larrivée family when you buy one of their guitars, are you? 
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »

I was going to use your Neil Young et al analogy too, Ducktrapper.  You beat me to it.  Anyways, I agree that your analogy is definately relevant to this discussion.   
Not to mention all kinds of other "Canadian" businesses that owe their success to expanding to the USA and other countries world-wide.

I didn't stop going to Tim Horton's for coffee when I learned they had expanded across the border a few years ago.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

zenith_inferno

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »

My wonder would be, if they move south to make shipping in the US easier, will it change anything for shipping to Canada now? Either in terms of price or availability?

All left handed:
Larrivee D-03R
Larrivee RS-4 Root Beer
Cole Clark FL1AC
Godin Exit 22
La Patrie Concert
zenith_inferno

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »

Now, you're being disingenuous. Have you ever bought a record or paid to see a movie with any of the folks I mentioned? You're not purchasing anyone in the Larrivée family when you buy one of their guitars, are you? 

Is there anything wrong with having a bit of national pride looking down at your guitar and seeing "Made in Canada"? I wouldn't not buy a guitar just because it was made in the US, but it is nice to see something made a little more local. Is it irrational? Of course.

In regards to actors and artists, for an actor, that's really got a lot to do with where the jobs are. As for artists or manufacturers, you have a bit more flexibility in where you operate. Of course you can have perfectly good reasons to relocate, as they seem to in this instance, but if a guitar maker, or a musician decided to stick it out in Canada, it would make me more inclined to give them my business. I'd have to want their product of course. Regardless, I doubt I've seen my last Larrivee, and I don't ever intend to part with the ones I already have, regardless of where they are built.

All left handed:
Larrivee D-03R
Larrivee RS-4 Root Beer
Cole Clark FL1AC
Godin Exit 22
La Patrie Concert
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »

Is there anything wrong with having a bit of national pride looking down at your guitar and seeing "Made in Canada"? I wouldn't not buy a guitar just because it was made in the US, but it is nice to see something made a little more local. Is it irrational? Of course.

In regards to actors and artists, for an actor, that's really got a lot to do with where the jobs are. As for artists or manufacturers, you have a bit more flexibility in where you operate. Of course you can have perfectly good reasons to relocate, as they seem to in this instance, but if a guitar maker, or a musician decided to stick it out in Canada, it would make me more inclined to give them my business. I'd have to want their product of course. Regardless, I doubt I've seen my last Larrivee, and I don't ever intend to part with the ones I already have, regardless of where they are built.
yeah I love that all 3 of mine were made here is California  halfway between my home and my work!

Actually it's all still North America and it's the same family the same way.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Gary787

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2013, 01:23:43 AM »

You're right. Sorry, just disappointed and its hard to express without some snottiness. 

webberink

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2013, 01:32:28 AM »

I wonder what Stompin Tom Connors would say in this thread?  I wonder what would be said if a prized American artisan like Martin moved its guitar building plant totally to China?  There is nothing wrong with prizing national artists  and artisans and feeling grief when they either die off or move away.  Seems kind of natural to me.  So give us a break ... let those of us who feel a need to grieve Larrivee's move out of country some time to grieve.  I hope I am a threadender here!!!
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2013, 02:48:32 AM »

I wonder what would be said if a prized American artisan like Martin moved its guitar building plant totally to China?
Dave

I was thinking the same. I might take another step in that direction. That is would you/we be disappointed or angered at our own nation for enacted policies that were not business friendly and that drove business and jobs away?  Perhaps our anger is misdirected. We attack the business for leaving  but ignore why. In other words,  let's place blame where it belongs.
Moderators, please exercise your authority if these statements break rules.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2013, 04:21:28 AM »

I was going to use your Neil Young et al analogy too, Ducktrapper.  You beat me to it.  Anyways, I agree that your analogy is definately relevant to this discussion.   
Not to mention all kinds of other "Canadian" businesses that owe their success to expanding to the USA and other countries world-wide.

I didn't stop going to Tim Horton's for coffee when I learned they had expanded across the border a few years ago.

Tim Horton's was bought by Wendy's some time ago.....

Like over 50?

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2013, 04:30:15 AM »

I wonder what Stompin Tom Connors would say in this thread?  I wonder what would be said if a prized American artisan like Martin moved its guitar building plant totally to China?  There is nothing wrong with prizing national artists  and artisans and feeling grief when they either die off or move away.  Seems kind of natural to me.  So give us a break ... let those of us who feel a need to grieve Larrivee's move out of country some time to grieve.  I hope I am a threadender here!!!
Dave

If you know Stompin' Tom, then you know exactly what he would say.
To my knowledge, he never owned or played a Larrivee guitar, so it's a moot point?
This thread will never end.......

If we TRULY love and respect the family who's name graces our beloved guitars, then we respect their personal, family  and business  choices. FULL STOP.
Who are we to question or judge their motives?
They don't question mine.

Like over 50?

YOUNG AT HEART

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »

Mr Headsup-----------------Very wise words indeed Sir...............applicable to many other  things too, I reckon........................
JDS Guitar

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »

let those of us who feel a need to grieve Larrivee's move out of country some time to grieve.

+1

P-03R/IS

Spruce on top...
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »

Kevin, I agree heartily with two of your recent posts.
The Larrivee family's integrity in their product has not--and probably will not--change because of the move to the U.S.  And, this is theirFamily business and the decision is theirs; I wouldnt want "back seat" comments on my decisions that affect my family and where I might have to move to make a stand in this global economy. I see Jean Sr. having walked the fine edge between considerate local artisan and blossoming big-scale retailer quite well for himself, and if it is time to move--for not only economic reasons, but to a much more body-friendly climate (I would like to find myself back in Cal. for my retirement yrs!), then that is his prerogative.
I too try and support local businesses, and I understand the frustration and grieving for you Canadian members/owners. This forum should support you in your grief. But I am sure Jean Larrivee and family have had their share in making this decision--and you/we know they do look in on our modest little club here and are aware of the feelings expressed.
I wish them the best...
And look forward to possibly a better "bargain" in an already great solid wood 02/03 build!

Is there going to be a Moving Sale?!
srwmme

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »

Some pretty upset Canadians posting on the Larrivee FB page, saying they have bought their last Larrivee.  I just don't get that.
I own Larrivees from both Canada and Oxnard.  It doesn't matter where they are made, they are fine guitars.  I have spent time at Oxnard with Jean and Matthew and wish them all the best.

+1 Can't strum the label!
Keep making great guitars, wherever you end up JCL!

2014 LS-03R Notable Custom
2001 Larrivee L-09
1995 Larrivee LS-05
1993 Washburn D12-YBR
1934 Gibson TB2 Tenor banjo
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2013, 03:17:09 PM »

I just want to wish the Larrivee family a good transition. I would think this will result in some fine guitars coming out of California.

Still, I am very happy that I have my Canadian made Forum III  nice guitar

All the best to John Jr. and thanks for all the fine guitars.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Gary787

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2013, 03:32:04 PM »

If you know Stompin' Tom, then you know exactly what he would say.
To my knowledge, he never owned or played a Larrivee guitar, so it's a moot point?
This thread will never end.......

If we TRULY love and respect the family who's name graces our beloved guitars, then we respect their personal, family  and business  choices. FULL STOP.
Who are we to question or judge their motives?
They don't question mine.

Whoa what?? TRULY love and respect? rolleye I am sure the Larrivee's are nice people but I have no emotional attachment to the family. That's a little too Creepy for me FULL STOP. I was a little bummed out but I am almost over it.
Good luck and best wishes to Jean and Matthew I hope you find what you are looking for. Jr. Keep chopping

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »

Who what?? TRULY love and respect? rolleye I am sure the Larrivee's are nice people but I have no emotional attachment to the family. That's a little too Creepy for me FULL STOP. I was a little bummed out but I am almost over it.
Good luck and best wishes to Jean and Matthew I hope you find what you are looking for. Jr. Keep chopping
Call it creepy if you like, but when you have met the family you can't help but like them. And it does add a little extra to my  guitars.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »

I just saw that too Riverbend...they really are moving folks....for anyone who doesn't know ,,,Godin guitares are made in Canada and include the brands Godin, Norman ,Seagull, S&P, A&L,,,I'm going to start looking for another nice Seagull Folk....

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/22997/Guitars/Acoustic/Godin_Guitars/Coastline_Acoustic_Guitar_-_Cedar_Folk.htm#Description-tab

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: