Larrivee RS2

Started by Beauty Eh, October 29, 2013, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I realize that I bought an RS2 Ventura in a bit of a rush, should have proven out some items first.  It turned out the volume potentiometer is defective and needs to be replaced.  I have a dealer's luthier ordering that item for me and as well he's made a claim about the case, because it looks a bit misshapen on the inside and as a result, the guitar flops around in the case, which can't be good.  But perhaps the biggest irritant for me is the fact that this is a brand new guitar, and aside from the pot problem, the protruding frets bother me the most.  The first and the second fret and the 7 to 9th frets and beyond hook on my hand because the neck has lost so much moisture and shrunk.  This is a brand new guitar.   I've got a $100.00 Godin parlor guitar which doesn't have frets sticking out the sides of the neck and I've got a Takamine Classical which I've had for 15 years in an extremely dry climate as is found on the Canadian prairies and that Tak's frets have never stuck out.  What is the problem with this Larrivee's neck?  I'm told that if I have patience with it and humidify the guitar, over the course of a season the neck will come back and there will be no protruding fret edges; while other guitarists tell me that you can't expect to have the neck's width return.  I just want to take this thing and file the frets on it.  Does anyone have any recommendations at this point? 

Have you been keeping it properly humidified since you got it? 
My advice is to keep it properly humidified for at least 6 months.  If the fret ends still stick out too much, then file them off.  Or just file them down now if you are impatient.  Either way is not a big issue.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

with all those issues is returning a problem. I have a # of RS 2's liking the 1st so much I bought another and another....... none of mine had any issue like you describe
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I just got my first RS2 and it is a dream, sorry to hear you are having issues with yours, I'm sure the company will take care of it

Quote from: olrac on November 02, 2013, 02:56:23 PM
I just got my first RS2 and it is a dream, sorry to hear you are having issues with yours, I'm sure the company will take care of it

:+1:

Larrivee will address your concerns - however, I would be concerned with a dealer that would sell you a NEW guitar in that condition - that's the bigger issue! Didn't they notice that the volume pot wasn't working? (Did you buy this sight unseen, or did you get to play it before you bought it?).

The frets also sound like a dealer issue - sounds like THEY didn't have the guitar properly humidified - or, they didn't go over the guitar when they got it to check for things like fret sprout.

Either way, I've not experienced these issues on any new Larrivees in the last 5-8 years (they did have a short period of time in the early 2000's when their guitars' fret ends weren't well finished, but they've addressed that in recent years).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992