Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D'Angelico EXDC (lefty) review and pics  (Read 1268 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:03:11 AM »

It's hard to find lefty instruments that aren't bottom of the barrel cheapies, or the same old, same old (Strats, Teles and LPs) - unless, of course, you're talking about Larrivees!

So when I saw this 335-style D'Angelico, I got major GAS. It arrived this past Thursday from the Music Zoo (seamless online transaction with them).

Here's my review:

PROS:

Pickups sound very, very good. Just the right amount of gain and yet openness and bite - they sound great with my OD pedals!

Neck and fretwork are very nice - has some girth to it in the shoulders, but still very comfortable

Woods, materials and workmanship look very good to excellent (pics below). The finish is very good; I only found two minor blems. The color/tint of the blonde finish is perfect. The gold hardware looks good (with the blonde) - I'm not a fan of gold, but it doesn't look as cheap as some I've seen.

Tuners (Grovers) are very smooth and seem to hold tuning very well

Very solid case - nothing fancy (TKL), but will keep the guitar safe

CONS:

The pots are right-handed, but wired lefty, which means the tone controls basically work as on/off switches...ugh; here we go again. You'd think a company that's making $10,000 American versions of their guitars, and even these very nice Korean versions, could get this detail right (left?)!

The bridge needed to be lowered a little and some intonation done. The low E and A saddle screws were sticking out of the bridge - way out of adjustment. Just needed to loosen the strings and slide them back in. I've seen this before, so not a biggie...took care of all this in about two minutes. Pickup height also got a little tweak when the bridge and neck were adjusted.

Nut slots need to be lowered, and, if this is a keeper (I think it is), I may replace the nut and recut the slots, changing the spacing a little. The high E string could be moved closer to the edge of the fingerboard and everything spaced a little better. For now I'll lower the nut slots when I have time.

All of this set-up stuff helps it play better in tune, which is still an issue on the lower frets (until the nut slots are addressed).

So ... is this guitar worth $1,279?

I'd say "Yes" ... guardedly ... it needed the above mentioned set-up and tweaking, and the tone controls really ought to work properly at this price - having to spend more money to have that fixed at this price is a no-no. But if you want a very nice lefty 335-style guitar that's not just another 335 copy, it's a pretty decent value.

If you found a used one for around half this price, you'd be getting a real deal! But finding a lefty used might be pretty unlikely/a crapshoot.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 03:19:42 AM »

Nice guitar.You should know by now that there is no guitar from my point of view that wont need set up work no matter the cost.Ya lefty pots would of been smart but no one said all guitar companies are smart.Then again D'Angelico is just a name.D'Angelico never produce this body style himself.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 03:33:04 AM »

Nice review Mike, now interested in trying one

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
longlaketech

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:45:46 AM »

Nice guitar.You should know by now that there is no guitar from my point of view that wont need set up work no matter the cost.

Nice guitar. Bet she screams thru a nice tube amp.

Can't agree more with unclrob about the setup. But I would play it a couple weeks to really dial in what should be done.

Life is too short to play crappy guitars....

Larrivee OM-40 RW w. LR Baggs Lyric
Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »

Nice guitar. Bet she screams thru a nice tube amp.

Indeed she does! She does the howling feedback thing perfectly when hit with the right amount of gain!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: