"I Had a Dream..."

Started by Mikeymac, October 02, 2013, 03:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew - it actually arrived yesterday afternoon! (I didn't have a tracking number, so I didn't really know when it would get here - just by Tuesday for sure.)

Look soon for a "Silver Oak" thread in the main forum for my fawning review...

But it is a VERY :nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Well. someone go ahead and say it, I've lost my mind...

...but I ordered the D'Angelico last night. I just couldn't stand it ... I've regretted it a few times in the past when I've passed on a unique left-handed guitar like this, and since Music Zoo publishes pictures of the exact guitar you're ordering, you know exactly what you're getting.

It will arrive next Tuesday, and unfortunately, unless I'm "sick," I'll be out of town...bummer. I'll have to ask FedEx to hold it so I can pick it up on Wednesday when I get home.

More on that when it gets here (maybe in the "other guitars" forum).

:nanadance :nana_guitar

Meanwhile, yes, I'm LOVING the C-10 - sounds better every time I pick it up!

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 18, 2013, 06:06:36 PM
Well. someone go ahead and say it, I've lost my mind...

...but I ordered the D'Angelico last night. I just couldn't stand it ... I've regretted it a few times in the past when I've passed on a unique left-handed guitar like this, and since Music Zoo publishes pictures of the exact guitar you're ordering, you know exactly what you're getting.

It will arrive next Tuesday, and unfortunately, unless I'm "sick," I'll be out of town...bummer. I'll have to ask FedEx to hold it so I can pick it up on Wednesday when I get home.

More on that when it gets here (maybe in the "other guitars" forum).

:nanadance :nana_guitar

Meanwhile, yes, I'm LOVING the C-10 - sounds better every time I pick it up!
Mikeymac, you may be coming down with something. You look a little pale behind the gills. I want you to rest up this weekend and you should try going to work on Monday, but if you can't do 1000 push-ups when you home, you need to stay home on Tuesday to regain your strength.

Quote from: Queequeg on October 18, 2013, 06:41:45 PM
Mikeymac, you may be coming down with something. You look a little pale behind the gills. I want you to rest up this weekend and you should try going to work on Monday, but if you can't do 1000 push-ups when you home, you need to stay home on Tuesday to regain your strength.

Hah! I wish! Actually, it's a getaway that I don't want to miss, so I have mixed emotions. But I can schedule the guitar for pickup on Wednesday afternoon when I get back, so all is good.

I couldn't wait any longer. If Larrivee comes out with a hollow body, I'll certainly consider it. In the meantime I came across this 1974 Gibson ES-175 in absolutely stunning shape. We're having a splendid time together:
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

175 is a great guitar.
And that burst is gorgeous.
And pre-Henry Juszkiewicz, better yet.

Update on the D'Angelico ... it was nice, but my final assessment was that it wasn't $1,300 of Korean nice, so I returned it.

I'm waiting on my recently ordered Lancaster ... after that I guess I'll keep waiting for Larrivee's hollow or semi-hollow entry to the market. The Larrivee 50th Anniversary model (whatever it is...) is only a couple years away; I definitely will be saving for one of those!

Re: D'Angelico

got the impression some guys with money were trying to capitalize on the name. Although part of me thinks that's a travesty, I guess everyone is entitled to try and make a buck (or loonie, or euro, or yuan, or whatever).

The Eastman guitars seem to be getting the best response for inexpensive, well-made hollow bodies. They have a good story, starting out in 1992 by successfully making violins and then branching out into guitars and mandolins. They look and sound impressive but I wonder how they'll hold up over time. My Gibson is celebrating it's 40th this year and it is one awesome instrument, in spite of the Norlin Corporation.
Rob

Larrivee D-05

Quote from: robwms on January 12, 2014, 10:03:16 PM
My Gibson is celebrating it's 40th this year and it is one awesome instrument, in spite of the Norlin Corporation.
My first really good guitar was a Gibson Heritage made in 69-70 or so, I really can't say if it was a Norlin or not but have a feeling it was. I had it 40 years ago and it was truly a cannon.
Quote from: robwms on October 19, 2013, 03:40:36 PM
I couldn't wait any longer. If Larrivee comes out with a hollow body, I'll certainly consider it. In the meantime I came across this 1974 Gibson ES-175 in absolutely stunning shape. We're having a splendid time together:

That is a fine looking Gibby :nice guitar:

Quote from: robwms on January 12, 2014, 10:03:16 PM
My Gibson is celebrating it's 40th this year and it is one awesome instrument, in spite of the Norlin Corporation.
I have played many gems from the "Norlin Era" looks like you got yourself another!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: dependan on January 13, 2014, 09:19:32 AM
  My first really good guitar was a Gibson Heritage made in 69-70 or so, I really can't say if it was a Norlin or not but have a feeling it was. I had it 40 years ago and it was truly a cannon.
I think many see the "Norlin Era" starting when McCARTY left in 65 but officially it wasn't until December 22, 1969
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 13, 2014, 09:34:13 AM
I think many see the "Norlin Era" starting when McCARTY left in 65 but officially it wasn't until December 22, 1969
Yeah, 1966 was the year they started using plastic bridges on a lot of guitars. They were still made in Kalamazoo then, but several "innovations" were being initiated. Just like some of Ford's better ideas, many were to the detriment of a good guitar company.
   I still have one Kalamazoo Gibson that I'm sure is a Norlin Era dreadnaught. It has a double X bracing pattern.

A friend of mine had a left-handed '74 "sandwich body" LP Custom that he loaned me for a year or so (he wasn't playing guitar regularly at the time; he has since sold it). It was heavy, but it was a great playing (fretless wonder), great sounding guitar! If I had had the money when he wanted to sell it, it would have become mine. But I didn't want to try to lowball him on the price, and it was worth around $2,200-2,500 at the time he sold it, and I just didn't have it then.

So, in the ongoing semi-hollow saga, I weakened and ordered a late '70's lefty Yamaha SA 1000 from Ishibashi in Japan. It's from that era when Japan was kicking Gibson's and Fender's butts with very well built guitars, so I'm crossing my fingers on this purchase.

It hasn't got any issues - Ishibashi says everything on it seems to be original. It's not maple ply like Gibson's; it's beech and birch, so we'll see. But for under a grand (shipped) I'll have an MIJ semi-hollow that's very rare in lefty versions.

I'll keep you posted - don't know shipping details yet, but hope it will be here by the end of the week.

Here's one pic to hold you over:

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 18, 2014, 12:36:33 PM

I'll keep you posted - don't know shipping details yet, but hope it will be here by the end of the week.

So what happened with this guitar Rev?

Before I found my Gibson, the SA 1000 was one of the guitars I considered. Never came across one I could pull the trigger on. You're a brave soul having it shipped all the way from Japan.
Rob

Larrivee D-05

Quote from: robwms on February 24, 2014, 10:07:57 PM
So what happened with this guitar Rev?

Before I found my Gibson, the SA 1000 was one of the guitars I considered. Never came across one I could pull the trigger on. You're a brave soul having it shipped all the way from Japan.

I told the rest of the story in the Other Guitar Makers Forum. It seemed appropriate to move the topic there, since this area is now dedicated to Larrivee electrics.

It took awhile for it to get here (hung up in Chicago because of their bad weather for a WEEK!) but it was worth whatever "risk" I took ordering from Japan - I'll say again, they were GREAT to work with! Great guitar - it's become a humbucker favorite!

There are pics in that thread as well.