Some low sale prices on ebay Larrivees

Started by hadden, September 25, 2013, 07:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was looking at recent completed sales and a couple good condition O3 models went for $475 $465. Another for $600. Boy that is low. The sellers must be hurting after fees. Asking prices seem higher lately but they don't get sold. Average actual sale prices are a lot lower other than with unusual models. Great if you are buying. Someone has a maple L he keeps relisting around $1000, which is way out of line with the market. Even $800 is high these days.
L-03 Italian Spruce

A reflection of the depressed economy. Very discouraging for me personally. I mean both, the dismal economy and the failing value of guitars. Once this year is over I think things will only be worse.

"When your output exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall"  :blush:

Indeed, I watch with interest, and I'm saddened by "market" value, as determined by any given day, any given auction.

When RS4's sell for well under $1,000 and lovely acoustics go for $500-$800, it's a sad state of affairs.

That being said, it DOES strengthen my arguement around- why but an off shore or Asian laminate, when you can buy a solid wood handcrafted guitar for the same, or in many cases; less?
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: dependan on September 25, 2013, 08:34:41 AM
   A reflection of the depressed economy. Very discouraging for me personally. I mean both, the dismal economy and the failing value of guitars. Once this year is over I think things will only be worse.

"When your output exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall"  :blush:

Danny....we certainly don't want to get political here, but the cost of everything necessary to live and work is going up, and wages/hours/benefits are going down.  If we don't change course, there's going to be a ton of guitars up for sale, and no one to buy them.

Walkerwoman and I retired rather than working for 40 cents on the dollar after taxes.  Of course, that doesn't include things like gas tax, sales tax (about 10% in CA),  property taxes, etc.

We used to pay (prior to Obamacare) $1,200.00 per quarter with a $2,500.00 deductible for our medical insurance.  In the last 4 years, our premium has increased to $1,500.00 per month (yes, per month, NOT per quarter), and at the same time, our deductible has increased to $9,500.00 per person.  That means, for us to get any medical benefits, we have to pay about $27,000.00/year first.
What happened to that  $2,500.00 savings in our premiums we were promised?

OTOH, those with cash can buy some great guitars for cheap.

$475 minus fees is around $415. Ugh.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: Walkerman on September 25, 2013, 09:33:07 AM
Danny....we certainly don't want to get political here, but the cost of everything necessary to live and work is going up, and wages/hours/benefits are going down.  If we don't change course, there's going to be a ton of guitars up for sale, and no one to buy them.

Walkerwoman and I retired rather than working for 40 cents on the dollar after taxes.  Of course, that doesn't include things like gas tax, sales tax (about 10% in CA),  property taxes, etc.

We used to pay (prior to Obamacare) $1,200.00 per quarter with a $2,500.00 deductible for our medical insurance.  In the last 4 years, our premium has increased to $1,500.00 per month (yes, per month, NOT per quarter), and at the same time, our deductible has increased to $9,500.00 per person.  That means, for us to get any medical benefits, we have to pay about $27,000.00/year first.
What happened to that  $2,500.00 savings in our premiums we were promised?

OTOH, those with cash can buy some great guitars for cheap.

I can't afford the "affordable" health insurance at all.

Quote from: hadden on September 25, 2013, 09:42:18 AM
$475 minus fees is around $415. Ugh.
Yup.

Hopefully folks we won't send this thread political - there are Forums for Political discussions - just not this one,  swim with the big boys instead of attempting to flex  political muscle on a guitar Forum

:yawn
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 25, 2013, 07:46:00 PM
Hopefully folks we won't send this thread political - there are Forums for Political discussions - just not this one,  swim with the big boys instead of attempting to flex  political muscle on a guitar Forum

AMEN
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I agree....for as we  know, politics and guitar players certainly do NOT mix....

Gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown

And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you
Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
Keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again

Don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'

For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they, they are a-changin'

Come senators, Congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand at the doorway
Don't block up the hall

For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it's ragin'

It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
Don't criticize
What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'

Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend a hand
For your times they are a-changin'

The line it is drawn
And the curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast

As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'

And the first one now
Will later be last

Songwriters
Bob Dylan

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 25, 2013, 07:46:00 PM

Ahhh...  the voice of reason.  I'm sure glad there is one here.

Ed

There are also fewer young players taking up acoustic guitar, so I don't see acoustic guitars as a big growth segment going forward. All us old geesers will be taking them to the grave with us :)
Life is too short to play crappy guitars....

Larrivee OM-40 RW w. LR Baggs Lyric
Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60

Quote from: longlaketech on September 26, 2013, 03:29:50 PM
There are also fewer young players taking up acoustic guitar, so I don't see acoustic guitars as a big growth segment going forward. All us old geesers will be taking them to the grave with us :)

How do you know there are fewer young people taking up the acoustic guitar?

I have two children that are 21 and 23. Their piers really are not that interested in guitars much at all. There are some exceptions, but for the most part it isn't that big a part of their mind set. Go to a guitar store on a Saturday afternoon and really look at the age of customers that are actually purchasing anything. In these parts, its old dudes.

What do you think the median age of a Larrivee purchaser is?
Life is too short to play crappy guitars....

Larrivee OM-40 RW w. LR Baggs Lyric
Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60

Quote from: hadden on September 25, 2013, 07:08:12 AM
I was looking at recent completed sales and a couple good condition O3 models went for $475 $465. Another for $600. Boy that is low. The sellers must be hurting after fees. Asking prices seem higher lately but they don't get sold. Average actual sale prices are a lot lower other than with unusual models. Great if you are buying. Someone has a maple L he keeps relisting around $1000, which is way out of line with the market. Even $800 is high these days.

There are a lot of guitars out there for sale.The new market is flooded with so many brands at all price points and the use market are flooded with the same things.Stupidity has prevailed and what we all own isn't worth anything anymore.Just the way it is.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

We could just break down and play 'em and not worry about their value!  :whistling: 
2010 Larrivee Forum IV
1974 Martin D-28
"Frankenstein" 1948 Gibson J-50 Body/L-00 Neck
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2013 Martin Jeff Tweedy DB-00
1945 Epiphone Triumph Archtop
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux (Name Created by adorshki on the Let's talk Guild Forum)
2008 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
http://www.patrickcoopermusic.com

Quote from: hadden on September 25, 2013, 07:08:12 AM
I was looking at recent completed sales and a couple good condition O3 models went for $475 $465. Another for $600. Boy that is low.

Watch the shipping costs.  Many times the seller is asking over $100 for shipping.  Buyers are not THAT stupid and take this into account.

But yes, prices are low.  I see nice vintage Guilds selling for 50 cents on the dollar as well. 

Quote from: dependan on September 25, 2013, 08:34:41 AM

...except the economy is neither depressed or recessed.  And has not for several years now.  Just sayin - there has to be more to it.

I've noticed the resale on the high end has imploded in the last few years. Too many builders chasing a small segment of the market. Even before the recession I got clobbered on the sale of my handmades. Just try to sell a guitar past the $5000 mark. At least if you are buying, a Collings and so on can be had for well under $3000 (arguably part of the high end).
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on September 26, 2013, 10:36:08 PM
...except the economy is neither depressed or recessed.  And has not for several years now.  Just sayin - there has to be more to it.

Not wanting to get political...one has to say that our economy is anemic at best.  Maybe unemployment has made a slight down-tick....but check out the labor force participation rate......it's at historic lows.  And it's been  going down for several years now.  Simply put, the unemployment rate has gone down because so many folks have just given up on the hope of ever finding a job, and have quit looking...and they have been "removed" from the ranks of the unemployed.  This is smoke and mirrors, because these folks do want to work, and they are unemployed.  Factor these people in, and the true unemployment rate is over 11%. Also, someone mentioned that young folks aren't buying guitars.  Unemployment among young folks is really, really high.

Remember, depressed or recessed is a fallacious argument.  Our economy is ......and has been...growing at under 2%.  That won't even keep pace with our population growth.  If we don't get that up around 4%, we will always be losing ground.

Not wanting this post to be seen as political...rather than simply a post relating high unemployment to low guitar sales.....I will refrain from commenting on how best to improve the economy... :?