-40 Series

Started by dberch, September 20, 2013, 03:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I haven't seen anything about finish on the new -40 Series. Not on sale sites or Larrivee website specs - so I asked Musician's Friend. They have an OM-40 for darn good price. The '40 series has satin finished. 

Sorry if this has already be discussed. l might have missed it
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I'd love to hear one.  Anybody found any recordings yet?
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

Quote from: GGBB on September 20, 2013, 03:45:17 PM
"durable acrylic satin finish"

http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/acoustics/40/D40MH/d40mh.php

That's a switch. I think they also changed the UV process to chemical cured polyester finish as well. I remember some post from Matthew about that. But my memory is not very dependable lately.

That's funny, I was thinking they were gloss-top, satin bodied.
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: L-fan on September 21, 2013, 10:45:15 AM
That's funny, I was thinking they were gloss-top, satin bodied.
Wasn't that the 04 series? They had a gloss top but satin back and sides. These 40 LEGACY models are different in a few ways than other Larrivees.

I still want to hear reviews from the public on these. Not much information coming out yet.

Oh yeah, the -04 series, that's my confusion, thanks for clearing that up.
Scott

RS-2

I opened the link and it says D-40. Here's the text and it sounds pretty cool:

"The D-40 is a revolutionary new guitar from Larrivee. This new model born from years of research and testing features Jean Larrivee's first new bracing pattern in over 46 years. The new "Scalloped Parabolic Hybrid" bracing system perfectly merges the strength, tonal balance, and clarity of Larrivee bracing, with the Bass response, depth, and volume you'd expect from a vintage dreadnaught.

Made only in America, the D-40 comes standard with an exceptional feature set compared to similar style instruments from other manufacturers. The D-40 has a solid African Ebony Fretboard & Bridge, single piece Mahogany neck, Canadian maple binding, bone saddle, bone nut, and bone bridge pins. Other features we include are a Mother of Pearl Logo, Grover 18:1 open back tuners, non-shrink tortoise pick guard, double action truss rod (easily adjusted at full string tension), re-enforcement for side mount electrics, durable acrylic satin finish, bold rope purfling, arch top case, and a lifetime warranty!"

Quote from: dependan on September 21, 2013, 10:33:32 AM
........................... But my memory is not very dependable lately.

Dan, maybe it's time to change your username.  :humour:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Recent 40 Series ad...

I asked Jason at Notable guitars to hold the next OM40 that he gets in for me. The first one was already spoken for. I'm curious how the altered bracing will effect the OM body shape compared to a Dreadnaught. Normally OM's are known for their balanced tone across all the strings and this new bracing pattern from what I understand increases the bass registers so I'm not sure how it will play out with an OM. I'm hoping to get down to Elderly and try theirs out before it's sold. It would be nice to A/B the rosewood and mahogany models side by side though.
Thanks, Dave
Morgan OMM
Bart Reiter Tubaphone openback banjo
Scherl & Roth German Fiddle
Ramsey Fairbanks Electric Banjo
Eastman 503 Archtop

Quote from: superdave on September 22, 2013, 10:37:22 AM

Normally OM's are known for their balanced tone across all the strings and this new bracing pattern from what I understand increases the bass registers so I'm not sure how it will play out with an OM.
Thanks, Dave

My expectation is that it will have slightly more bass than a Larrivee OM-03 but not as much a Martin OM-18.

I still want to play a -40R side by side with my OM-03R though.

Quote from: AZLiberty on September 22, 2013, 03:03:13 PM
My expectation is that it will have slightly more bass than a Larrivee OM-03 but not as much a Martin OM-18.

I still want to play a -40R side by side with my OM-03R though.

L-03 has slightly more bass than OM-03 but not as much a Martin OM-18.
OM-40 = L-03???

Quote from: mrkpower on September 22, 2013, 10:31:54 PM
L-03 has slightly more bass than OM-03 but not as much a Martin OM-18.
OM-40 = L-03???

Until we get them in our hands we won't know now will we.

The main braces (Larrivee Parabolic X) on the -40 are the same as the standard -03, -05, -09, -10 guitars.  Thus I expect the main character to be very similar.

The "scalloped" braces are only the two asymmetric tone bars that run across the lower bout.  The bottom brace on standard Larrivee bracing adds quite a bit of stiffness, so the -40 bracing might make the guitar more responsive as well as adding a little lower end.

I am of course speculating based on acoustic guitar design theory. The proof of the pudding shall be in the playing.

Quote from: AZLiberty on September 22, 2013, 10:54:29 PM
Until we get them in our hands we won't know now will we.

The main braces (Larrivee Parabolic X) on the -40 are the same as the standard -03, -05, -09, -10 guitars.  Thus I expect the main character to be very similar.

The "scalloped" braces are only the two asymmetric tone bars that run across the lower bout.  The bottom brace on standard Larrivee bracing adds quite a bit of stiffness, so the -40 bracing might make the guitar more responsive as well as adding a little lower end.

I am of course speculating based on acoustic guitar design theory. The proof of the pudding shall be in the playing.
:+1:   Sounds good to me.

When can we get them in our hands??

Im going to Elderly tomorrow to test drive the OM40 they have in stock.
Thanks, Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Quote from: superdave on September 23, 2013, 03:32:13 PM
Im going to Elderly tomorrow to test drive the OM40 they have in stock.
Thanks, Dave

Grab an OM-03 at the same time.  Memory can be tricky.  Best to play them side by side.

Since Elderly has an OM-03 and and OM-40 in stock, Dave will be able to make a good side-by-side comparison.  We look forward to your report, Grasshopper.   :smile:
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Yep Mike I checked them out and I'm definitely in for the OM40. With all the additional appointments and the increase bass response and warmer tone (even with my moderate hearing loss) I think Larrivee hit this one out of the park. I can only imagine what a cannon the Dreadnaught's must be if the bracing changes made this much difference to the OM'S.
Thanks, Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop