Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know if Larrivee do custom electrics?  (Read 1778 times)
Jonesy76

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »

Just wondering?

I'm seriously considering moving on my amazing 2002 Gibson Historic '59 Les Paul as it really doesn't get played any more.  Just wondering if Larrivee would make an RS4 with a few mods - like a headstock inlay - so I still have an electric around the house for those 'noisy' moments!

Larrivee Custom LCJ-10-12E 'Baby Dragon' and vine-of-life inlay
Larrivee Custom C-10E 'Ddraig Bach' ('Baby Dragon')
Gibson Les Paul Historic '59
Legra custom-made Les Paul Doubleneck
1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

Seems doable, Wouldn't wait to long to make the request tho.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Jonesy76

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »

Why?
Are they going to knock the RS4's on the head at some stage soon?

1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »

I luv the RS4 its the nicest electric I have. I have shown it and lent it to many players the # one complaint is its not shaped like a LP. Nothing to me tho it sure seems to matter to the majority.

Now lets make something perfectly clear this is just MY opinion from MY experiences if it ain't shaped like a strat, tele, SG or LP then the solid electric guitar player, who to me are the most conservative ( not political :-) group of people I know, then they don't want it.  Those that do are a very very small minority and companies fighten for this small piece of the pie like prs, ibanez and a couple of others is fierce.

The RS4 should be flying off the shelves as it's a great guitar and great value considering its components and workmanship - but in my world it doesn't appear to be in the hands of players it should be ( those who can't afford to pay more for a guitar of lesser quality).

Would the RS4 do better if it were shaped more like a LP with the same scale etc etc? Similar to the Bakersfield is to a tele; IMHO it would sell better.

IMO our view here is skewed as the problem with the demographic on this Forum  is that most here have Larrivee accoustics thus have proven they are willing to step outside the box and try something new ( other than a Gibson, Martin and Taylor).

Generally if that something new isn't seen played by one of their guitar heros the general masses ain't supporting it. So if it ain't played by a guitar hero and it's dimensions and look is not the same as a LP then the RS4 won't likely be around forever.
Once again I can't emphasize enough how great the RS4 is and all of this BS is just my opinion.

Sorry a bit of a rant  

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »

Just wondering?

I'm seriously considering moving on my amazing 2002 Gibson Historic '59 Les Paul as it really doesn't get played any more.  Just wondering if Larrivee would make an RS4 with a few mods - like a headstock inlay - so I still have an electric around the house for those 'noisy' moments!

Im not sure why you wouldn't be able to add something 'simple' like a headstock inlay.  I think you'd be really happy with an RS-4.  Mine is such a great instrument, and oh so versatile.  Though, those LP Historics are apparently no slouches either. 

Just hit up whomever you went through to get your acoustic custom.  Hopefully I'm not out of turn in speaking for everyone but, we'd like to be kept abreast of the progress.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
Jonesy76

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »

It makes perfect sense to me Bacchus as I have 1.8 Custom Larrivee acoustics already  bigrin
I have my Custom C-10E and the fabulous Larrivee family have nearly finished my Custom LCJ-10-12.

My reasoning behind looking for a Custom RS4 is exactly that thing which makes the market for the RS4 possibly rather small JOYCEfromNS.........
I fell in love with guitars because of a certain top hat wearing chap called Slash, and fought belligerently with my parents to sell my trombone and by an electric guitar, and not a poncey acoustic.  That first electric was soon sold and a Les Paul copy took its place, and no matter how many electric guitars I've ever owned I've always had a Les Paul somewhere in the collection ever since (whether it be a Gibson or not).
My current Les Paul is absolutely outstanding!  It's light - without having any weight reduction - it has great humbuckers, proper LBR bridge without the retaining wire, and a flame top to absolutely die for!  On top of that it also has un-verified Brazilian Rosewood for the fretboard (its been seen now by two technicians, and a highly respected guitar shop in London all of whom are certain its Brazilian even if Gibson won't agree that it is!) and plays like butter.

The thing is.........
I open the case and have throwbacks to my teenage Slash-wannabe-ness, and then remember that I'm a mean rhythm guitarist and an even better vocalist.  The child in me says "NEVER SELL IT YOU FOOL, YOU CAN STILL MAKE IT", whereas the adult recognises its come out of that case about 3 times in the last year, and one of those was to simply tune it! 

The electrics I play most often are my luthier made Les Paul Doubleneck, and my fantastic 1967 Shaftesbury Les Paul Black Beauty that I rebuilt with a full vintage Gibson specification wiring loom.  Those two guitars actually mean something to me as one was made for my 30th birthday, and the other was restored to playing quality by my hands.
The Les Paul is just an utterly beautiful trinket, and if I'm being honest is something that I have more to show off to non-guitar playing friends rather than anything else as they've always heard of Gibson.

I'm now a Daddy, and to be honest when I'm out gigging and someone sees my acoustic guitar they always have to ask "what make is that?", because there is no name on the headstock due to the 'Baby Dragon' inlay.  They've then normally never even heard of Larrivee, but appreciate the sheer craftsmanship of the guitar.

It's that craftsmanship that others me more these days, rather than 'that' shape, or the fact that it says 'Gibson' on the headstock.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:38:40 PM »

Jonesy there is a strong chance my posts are coming of a little negative today as in a bit of a negaive frame of mind.

Those early Historic LP's are for the most part are top shelf IMO better than those of the last half dozen years or so and certainly better than the originals   ohmy I wouldn't sell it if I waz you.

On to the RS4 - to me it only slightly resembles the LP. It's not by any means a copy in feel, playability nor tone. If you are getting an RS4 thinking it will be a high end copy of a LP you might be disappointed. That IMO is where the problem lies with this guitar. The RS4 is a model upon itself - it's too bad it bears a resemblence to the LP. For the LP lovers out there and you have the cash the Historic  series is the way to go. As mentioned I think their quality has dipped in the last # of years so it would be nice for Larrivee to raise the bar somewhat like they did with the Bakersfield Tele.

And FWIW I too am a big Slash fan and was energized by AFD. The funny thing about the AFD is that the guitar Slash used in both its recording and playing live in those early days was not his 1959 or 1968 LP but a "cheap" LP Copy - or so I have read numerous times Oh marketing!!!!!!

Sorry once again Jonsey as I feel I am almost hijacking your thread as I to much enjoy your updates and posts on your customs and hope you are able to commision a customized Larrivee electric as they really are as about as good or better as any upper tier electric  

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 04:43:32 AM »

Just wondering?

I'm seriously considering moving on my amazing 2002 Gibson Historic '59 Les Paul as it really doesn't get played any more.  Just wondering if Larrivee would make an RS4 with a few mods - like a headstock inlay - so I still have an electric around the house for those 'noisy' moments!
I'm confused about your question.  Seems you want to replace an electric guitar that you really like but doesn't get played very much with a different electric guitar that you might like better but won't get played very much??

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Jonesy76

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »

I'm confused about your question.  Seems you want to replace an electric guitar that you really like but doesn't get played very much with a different electric guitar that you might like better but won't get played very much??

Sorry for the vagaries......
The thing is when I do play an electric guitar I tend to lean towards one of the other guitars I have which mean something personally to me.  The Gibson is gorgeous, but is an awful lot of guitar that is simply dying to be throttled by someone and have the life played into it, and it doesn't really have the emotion attachment my other two do (hence why it lives in its case rather than out in the house as the other two do).

I just like the idea of having my main guitars all come from the wonderfully skilled family set that is the Larrivees, and I like the idea of having an electric with a fixed bridge, but the same scale length as my acoustics.
I also like the idea of having something made as well as Larrivee make things, because they just do things perfectly!

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 09:23:58 PM »

Sorry for the vagaries......
The thing is when I do play an electric guitar I tend to lean towards one of the other guitars I have which mean something personally to me.  The Gibson is gorgeous, but is an awful lot of guitar that is simply dying to be throttled by someone and have the life played into it, and it doesn't really have the emotion attachment my other two do (hence why it lives in its case rather than out in the house as the other two do).

I just like the idea of having my main guitars all come from the wonderfully skilled family set that is the Larrivees, and I like the idea of having an electric with a fixed bridge, but the same scale length as my acoustics.
I also like the idea of having something made as well as Larrivee make things, because they just do things perfectly!

Is you LP an actual '59?  Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you can't get emotionally tied to something like that with the mojo of being 50+ years old, would you really be able to drum up the emotion for a whiz-bang RS4 with purty pictures on the headstock?

I dig the 25.5" scale length aspect and the nut width - these are the exact same specs of my Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue (way lower price) and it's not the handcrafted thing of beauty that would be an RS4, but I'm already emotionally attached to it.  Much better suited for my hands than my Strat was, and I didn't have to go to a tune-o-matic bridge.  Tons of tonal variety.  It's sort of a franken-strat-SG-Paul.

But, man, if I had that '59, I bet I could get emotionally attached.  I would learn how to dig a tune-o-matic.  Why can't it be you to throttle it and play the life into it?

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ovaltine52

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »

I have shown it and lent it to many players the # one complaint is its not shaped like a LP.

And that's one of the MANY reasons I'm nutts about my RS-4.   
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »

Is you LP an actual '59? 

I think he is talking about one of the Historic Reissues Gibson does.  Still top of the line LP's, but not an actual 59.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 11:13:40 PM »

I luv the RS4 its the nicest electric I have. I have shown it and lent it to many players the # one complaint is its not shaped like a LP. Nothing to me tho it sure seems to matter to the majority.

Now lets make something perfectly clear this is just MY opinion from MY experiences if it ain't shaped like a strat, tele, SG or LP then the solid electric guitar player, who to me are the most conservative ( not political :-) group of people I know, then they don't want it.  Those that do are a very very small minority and companies fighten for this small piece of the pie like prs, ibanez and a couple of others is fierce.

The RS4 should be flying off the shelves as it's a great guitar and great value considering its components and workmanship - but in my world it doesn't appear to be in the hands of players it should be ( those who can't afford to pay more for a guitar of lesser quality).

Would the RS4 do better if it were shaped more like a LP with the same scale etc etc? Similar to the Bakersfield is to a tele; IMHO it would sell better.

IMO our view here is skewed as the problem with the demographic on this Forum  is that most here have Larrivee accoustics thus have proven they are willing to step outside the box and try something new ( other than a Gibson, Martin and Taylor).

Generally if that something new isn't seen played by one of their guitar heros the general masses ain't supporting it. So if it ain't played by a guitar hero and it's dimensions and look is not the same as a LP then the RS4 won't likely be around forever.
Once again I can't emphasize enough how great the RS4 is and all of this BS is just my opinion.

Sorry a bit of a rant  

I wish you were wrong about this, but you might be right in so many ways.  I LOVE the set neck, 25.5" scale length, 1 11/16" nut width, hard-tail, string-through bridge, tilt-back headstock, 5 position switch, tonal variety monster that is my rather inexpensive Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue.

But it looks less like any well-known Gibby or Epi than the RS4 looks less like an LP, in my opinion:  Purty Pictures Here

It of course is not a real 'custom shop' guitar in that it's mass produced in Malaysia, comes in only 4 finishes, etc.  Gibson sold a version of this guitar in the 90's and it didn't become a 'classic' back then, but had a big enough following that they released it a couple years ago via Epiphone.  Feature for feature alone, Epiphone should sell a boatload of these Nighthawk Custom Reissues, but I'm guessing they don't.

I would love to believe that there are lots of folks like me who care less about shape than about function.  But the overwhelming market presence of look-alike models would lend one to argue the other way.  I wonder what the sales mix is of Bakersfield vs. RS4?  If your premise is right, they might sell Bakersfields 10-1 based on appearance alone, let alone price differential (I'm guessing Bakersfield is cheaper than RS4, but I wouldn't know - not really shopped either)

I think Reverend Guitars has done a decent job making instruments that nod to expected pup combinations, but with their own distinctive flair and visual identity.  Back to Jonesy's topic....

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »

I think he is talking about one of the Historic Reissues Gibson does.  Still top of the line LP's, but not an actual 59.
 +1 These are the LP's that Gibson finally decided to put some real thought into copying the 58, 59 and 60 Bursts. It only took Gibson til the mid 90's to figure out that was what the customers wanted. Up to that point their copies were extremely flawed. They did a spectacular job in those late 90's early 2000's. I have come across some duds of late in my experiences.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: