OK, WE love our Larrivees, what else do you play?

Started by DaveyO, September 13, 2013, 01:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just bought a Taylor 410, to go with my Larrivee
My Larrivee is still number 1 though.
just wondering what you all  play besides your Larrivees and
weather you like the  same nut widths on your guitars.
thanks
Dave

Sold everything else but my Larrivees and one old Fender Palomino that I don't play anymore.  Ten I bought a custom Morgan OM-flamed mahogany.  It plays a lot like my Larrivee but with some quite notable differences in tone and feel due to David Iannone's special touch.  I love em all.  My Morgan is a real nice addition to my Larrivees.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Guilds.I've just started using my 72 D25,my duo partner use's my JF30.My JF30/12 is down right now so I'm using a Seagul 12 string for now but I'd love to get back my OM03/12 just don't have the money.I once had a Gibson Vintage AJ that was a great guitar,I had to play 50 or so Gibsons to find that one but she gone now.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Acoustically, I have a Washburn branded Bourgeois Dread. Pretty classic Martin HD28 style build, from what little i know about guitars. This is Bourgeois's Standard D with some client specified bling. Narrower nut than my larri....different wood (sitka RW vs Sitka/Hog) and different finish (gloss v satin). So pretty much WAY different...which is great. They don't compete, they're harmonious compadre's in my arsenal
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

Many Gibsons and Fenders, a Rik and a Taylor and a few others all pale to most of my Larrivees - well different animals really for the most part - I luv em all
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

As far as acoustic guitar is concerned it's pretty much all Larrivee all the time except for the rare occasions where I play the old Martin copy "Mountain" dread. that I picked up awhile back.
On the electric side it's generally the Gretsch Country Club.

My son has a nice Taylor 214 (Spruce over solid wood (not laminate) Sapele back and sides) that I have first right of refusal on if he ever wants to sell it. 

Here are my four main guitars and each is #1 depending on the day of the week and the mood I am in. In other words, none of them are for sale and they all get pretty equal playing time.

Martins (Spruce over rosewood sides and 3 piece backs)
D-35 Neck width 1 & 11/16 hand carved "C" neck
OM-35 Neck width 1 & 3/4 Low Profile Neck

Larrivee (Spruce over maple back and sides) 
Parlor Neck width 1 & 3/4 with short scale and a really fast neck

(Mahogany over mahogany back and sides)
LV-03MT 12 string - Neck width 1 & 7/8

I have Martins and a Bourgeois.  Like to have guitars with different tonewoods, and guitars of different sizes.  All are 1 3/4, but as I play more, I find that it is less and less difficult to play guitars with different nut widths, string spacing and even neck shape.  Just takes a little time for the fingers to adjust.  Currently 'one over' on guitars and deciding how to get down to 4 (+the LX).

jeff
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

Great question.  My other guitars are Martin and Recording King.  My Larrivee is a Custom Shop 005 quilted hog 12-fret (1 3/4" nut), the Martin's a '76 000-28S (1 7/8" nut), and the RK is an ROS-16 (1 13/16" nut).  I think of the Larry as a Grand Piano: clear, clean, strong, each individual note well defined. The Martin's my Symphony Orchestra: lush, rich, shimmering, rich in overtones.  They both stay home.  The Recording King's my travel and gigging guitar: worry free and fun. 

Guitarwise 2 Larrivee's L-10 and 000-50. But also a Gallagher G-50. Good old bassey American dreadnaught that sounds way different than any Larrivee.
I'd like to check out a Larrivee Mandolin but no where to do that around here that I know of. I have2 mandolins. A small shop custom and a Michael Kelly F for bluegrass.
Octave mandolin Trinity College which is pretty good archtop without being up in the 2G plus range of really good ones. Don't play it enough to justify that but we do use it on several songs when we play out. Not in "typical" irish stuff or anything like that but to rock on!  Like tuning it to open D and doing World Turning or Know You Rider. It cool and fun.
I got a Smith and Young (National) resonater just this year and it's a great machine. Sounds incredible. An Epiphone Sheriton with 57' Gibson pickups. And some other misc stuff.           I played another great Collings just the other night. If money were no matter, one of those would be nice. Snata Cruz same but this Collings the other night was really special.
So I think there a place for other guitars for sure, that are different. But Old L-10 is hard to beat for versatility. It's still what I use for gigs after 30 plus years of continuous service.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Guilds,
I have two Guild 12-strings and should really like to pick up a nice F-20 someday.

Breedlove,
Play a US Build Breedlove if you have not done so, the sound is very "Larrivee like" but somewhat louder and more responsive due to the JDL system.

Rainsong,
Yes I have strayed down the Carbon Fiber path.  A nice wood guitar sounds better, but a guitar that does not need to be watered every week is a godsend when you live in Arid-zona.

I just have my two Larrivees now. Before that I had two Marc Beneteau OMs. A bunch of others have come and gone. 

Next up for me is a small body Larrivee to keep the others company.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Voyage Air, Go Grande, locally made OM, a travel guitar I made, and a Morgan Monroe small body short scale 12 string, 3 string cigar box guitar...  for acoustics.

Guild Starfire III, Fender Jaguar, Casio PG-380, Squier Telecaster, kit built electric 12 string, Maestro no-body electric,  and a couple other home made electrics.

Then there are the "other" instruments...  uses, keys, synths, drums, etc.

My Larrivees (both parlors) get the most time these days.

Ed

I have no acoustics other than Larrivee. I have a fender stratocaster that I love though. I've played a couple of Santa Cruz guitars that were very nice though.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I have been playing my Epi 00 quite a bit lately, I can take it out and not worry about it as much as my Larrivees. It's also a nice size and has that Gibson radius neck which helps me barr chords much easier. It's also a pretty little thing, being a total sunburst model.
   Also playing the Lakewood Dread and the Norman Dread 12 string some.

My Larrivees are far and away my favorites though :nice guitar: s

Quote from: DaveyO on September 13, 2013, 01:09:01 PM
I just bought a Taylor 410, to go with my Larrivee
My Larrivee is still number 1 though.
just wondering what you all  play besides your Larrivees and
weather you like the  same nut widths on your guitars.
thanks
Dave

Haha, took the Taylor back, just didnt match up to my Larrivee, so I guess my next will be another Larrivee
Dave

I have an old Takamine G330 (made in Taiwan, all laminate) model that I bought new in 1993.  It played and sounded great to my untrained ear way back then, and it's only gotten better.  Some will tell you all lam guitars won't age, tone-wise, and some may not, but this one has.  It has a wonderful, dry, old-timey sound that's perfect for old Country songs.  I recently had it looked over and set up by a professional; he also installed a bone saddle.  Man, what an improvement.  Honestly I play this guitar as much as I do my Larrivee and like it just as much.  They are just very, very different guitars that do different things very well.  It's odd but I had it under a bed for years and never touched it; then one day I just had an itch to get it out again and start playing it.  

This was my first acoustic guitar and I'm glad I've kept it all these years.  Best $269 I've ever spent.  

The other day I took the Martin D-18GE out of the case and played it for the first time in a while.  Flatpicking it, I was smiling right away at how timeless and sweet the sound that this guitar makes.  I could live with just this guitar, but am happy to have others.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on September 16, 2013, 05:44:56 PM
The other day I took the Martin D-18GE out of the case and played it for the first time in a while.  Flatpicking it, I was smiling right away at how timeless and sweet the sound that this guitar makes.  I could live with just this guitar, but am happy to have others.
Well said. My Martin is a close brother o yours; same bracing etc. but different topwood.  Pretty much sounds the same as a GE  and it is always a 'Wow!'  I could never give up my L-09 either. The others in my sig? I wouldn't mind reducing by a couple but love them each to the point I would have to be under great duress, so they stay and I play them and think 'This is good, I know why I bought it.'
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden