YouTube audio quality

Started by longlaketech, September 10, 2013, 05:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have been trying to improve the audio quality of my youtube video. Looking for suggestions to improve my 'rig'.

I currently just record acoustic guitar and vocals directly to my laptop with an external 720p webcam with the mic in the webcam. I find the sound quality 'jangally' or tinny.

I am wondering how I could best incorporate some of the following items
* OM-40 RW with LR Baggs Lyric
* Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
* Shure SM-58 Beta microphone

One option may be to try a Zoom H2n or maybe Blue Yeti USB mic and just record directly from this. Maybe try Audasity recording software. How can I incorporate the SM58 beta in my audio chain?

Any other ideas? Not looking for pro quality, just improved sound qualiity. Video quality in 720p is fine.
Life is too short to play crappy guitars....

Larrivee OM-40 RW w. LR Baggs Lyric
Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60

I'm real partial to recording my acoustic Youtube stuff with just a mic. No amp, no pickup.

I use a POD Studio UX2 gadget to plug my mic to the computer where I have Pod's modeling software as well as Garageband to tweak it. It has a boost if you're using a condensor mic, stereo mic inputs and two other line inputs I can plug my strat straight in to it.

Your Shure ought to work fine with this or similar USB box thru Audacity.

Of course you're adding a layer of complexity as now you'll have to find a way to sync and combine your audio track with the webcam video. Doable with Garageband, but dunno what PC's have for that.

If you're interested, one of my better recording and mixing efforts using the Line6 box and some inexpensive condensor mics here.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

hmm, maybe just a Blue Yeti USB mic will be easier to work with...

Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60

I just use the mic on the camcorder.

I hear pretty good things about the Scarlet 2i2 as a mic/instrument to USB interface.
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

A friend of mine is using this to record her next album and is pretty happy with it.

Quote from: longlaketech on September 10, 2013, 05:43:19 AM
Have been trying to improve the audio quality of my youtube video. Looking for suggestions to improve my 'rig'.

I currently just record acoustic guitar and vocals directly to my laptop with an external 720p webcam with the mic in the webcam. I find the sound quality 'jangally' or tinny.

I am wondering how I could best incorporate some of the following items
* OM-40 RW with LR Baggs Lyric
* Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
* Shure SM-58 Beta microphone

One option may be to try a Zoom H2n or maybe Blue Yeti USB mic and just record directly from this. Maybe try Audasity recording software. How can I incorporate the SM58 beta in my audio chain?

Any other ideas? Not looking for pro quality, just improved sound qualiity. Video quality in 720p is fine.
I'm curious why you chose the Shure SM-58 beta?
Do you have a high voice?
And I think that the Zoom H2 should do a a pretty acceptable job for you and youtube.

I picked up a used SM-58 Beta locally on kijiji just to play around house party's and such. Just a regular voice. It sounds great thru my Roland AC-60.

I am on the lookout for a used Zoom H2n or maybe a Blue Yeti for  recording.

Larrivee LV-02
Roland AC-60

Quote from: longlaketech on September 17, 2013, 05:08:04 PM
I picked up a used SM-58 Beta locally on kijiji just to play around house party's and such. Just a regular voice. It sounds great thru my Roland AC-60.

I am on the lookout for a used Zoom H2n or maybe a Blue Yeti for  recording.

The Zoom H2n is nice - I have one. It has greatly simplified recording for me. Use the table-top stand that comes with it our mount it on a camera tripod and hit record. Has 3 selectable input levels - though with the 'hi' setting there is an audible noise floor in your recordings. It is capable of virtually noiseless recordings - simply drag the sound recordings to your PC over USB cable, or just insert the SD card in your PC card reader.

All you have to do then is merge / sync / align your webcam video and H2n audio in something like Windows Movie Maker or Sony Vegas - mute the audio that the Web Cam recorded, do your intro screen/trim/fade your video and render to an output file.

I first started doing that with one of those RCA Small Wonder flip cam clones and my H2n using XP and Microsoft Movie Maker - though MMM was crash-prone for me.

The Zoom H2n CAN be used as a USB connected mic to your PC with Audacity if you like - should you ever get the bug to multitrack / layer your recordings.

About the Yeti, it's not my intent to disparage it, but its use is limited in that it doesn't have an XLR connector - at least that I could see on photos of it.

Quote from: CJ on September 18, 2013, 10:30:42 AM

All you have to do then is merge / sync / align your webcam video and H2n audio in something like Windows Movie Maker or Sony Vegas - mute the audio that the Web Cam recorded, do your intro screen/trim/fade your video and render to an output file.

Tip:
Clap your hands when you start recording.
This makes synching your audio and video start points quick and easy.

Quote from: Queequeg on September 18, 2013, 10:51:08 AM
Tip:
Clap your hands when you start recording.
This makes synching your audio and video start points quick and easy.

I thought you were supposed to clap when you finished playing.   :wink:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on September 19, 2013, 09:00:52 PM
I thought you were supposed to clap when you finished playing.   :wink:
Right, Roger.
Then play the recording in reverse to reveal the secret message:
"I buried Paul."
Or maybe it's "I'm very bored."

(Nobody under 40 has any idea what in the world I'm talking about.)