Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (More) amps for Larrivee electrics...  (Read 4734 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »

Anyone seen Fenders "new" Vintage Modified Silverface amps? Not just a reissue - they've tweaked the circuit some, and you can use the reverb and trem on both channels.  I'm intrigued by the Deluxe Reverb - I suspect unclrob might really go for the Princeton Reverb version...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »

Haven't seen them so I'll need to the Fender web site.That said I hate pc board amps.Over the years they've gotton thinner and don't seem to hold up to real world use.I found a sight were I can buy and build my own amps and can get them with a greaseboard instead of a pc board.What can I say I'm old and set in my ways.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:42:15 PM »

I have the Superchamp X2 HD Head (made in mexico).  It's a great sounding amp.  The effects are very good.  I play it through a Marshall Model 1965B (4X10 straight front) cab, or any of my two home built 1X12 cabinets.  I also have the older version; Superchamp XD Combo with 10" speaker (made in China).  I would recommend any of the vintage modified amps although I haven't heard the Deluxe Reverb version.

Rob, only the effects are digital circuits in these amps.  The power amp and preamp sections are tube driven.  To me, no different than using digital effects pedals with any all-tube amp.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

KenS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »

I have no idea how they sound - but I'm with Rob: if you are going to pay that much money for an amp, then pay a little more and a hand-wired, point-to-point from one of the small builders like Vintage Sound. I think you will be better-served in the long run if you can spare the extra $$.

Ken
ovaltine52

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »

A person (who I'll call the "boss") I work for invited me to try amps built by a friend of his.  The "boss" was planning on buying two amps, one of them I'd use mostly.  When I saw the website & checked out the specs, I wasn't sure.  So the day came to try out the amps, & I brought my new RS-4 to give 'em a spin.  YIKES!  SOUNDS WONDERFUL!!

Here they are, folks:

http://www.shawaudio.com/

A Retro-Mod 15 & a Fulltilt 18 were brought in for me to try, & I settled on the Retro-Mod 15.  Though the Fulltilt 18 or 30 are great studio amps & I would like to bag one someday, the Retro-Mod 15 was best for the live setting & pedalboard use.   I've had some off the shelf & boutique amps in my past, & Shaw's are HANDS DOWN the best amps I've ever played thru.

So, there's my pick for an amp for the RS-4.   
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 04:26:46 AM »

Its not the digital effects,its that the quality of the printed boards and that in some case's they mount the tube sockets directly to them and that you need to be so extra careful hauling them around.I'm not a big fan of the boutique amps either.The stuff I like are the affordable 70's amps from Fender.I'd like to have another Princeton reverb 15 watts is all I need for guitar and I'd love to get my hands a a Bassman 100 and a 2x12 Fender cab.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

I'd love to get my hands a a Bassman 100 and a 2x12 Fender cab.
So would I!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »

Time to resurrect the Electric Guitar Forum, even if this is an unlikely thread in which to do so...

But I picked up a used "practice" amp that I'm really enjoying - it has been a delightful surprise - which means money well spent!

It's the Yamaha THR 10 - a little 'box', 'shelf' or 'table' amp that doesn't sound like one. This one is used, and had been sitting in the amp room of our local shop for quite awhile. They had it priced at $169; they list for $299 at MF and other places; I've recently seen them for sale at $199. I don't know how long they've been around, but at least a year or two.

I compared it to some other amps they had sitting there: the Fender Champion 40 ($179 - okay, but very sterile and not very 'tube' sounding), the little Roland shelf amp (also on sale for $135), and a Vox VA5, I think. The Vox ($179) came closest to the THR in tone and options (several built in effects), but it wasn't as portable, and I wasn't convinced that it sounded any better than the THR.

The THR just sounded very good with both humbuckers and single coils (I took a couple of my guitars in and played them through it). More than enough volume to play at home (I really annoyed my wife last night, who was upstairs watching election returns!). I think it has enough volume to use at worship practice ... doesn't really have a line out to run to a PA, but could try the headphone jack...

It sounds passable with acoustic guitars (yes, it has an acoustic setting) - this requires the most tweaking, based on each guitar's pickup system. One big surprise was that my old Pimentel classical (Fishman transducer, side 'box' eq on guitar) sounds excellent - I played this guitar for a couple hours the other night because it was so enjoyable! More 'natural' sounding that the steel-stringed ones...?

The tone sounds pretty tube-like...and the eq controls provide lots of tweaking. Five different 'amp' models, but even the clean one can be overdriven some, like a pushed Fender. There are five preset buttons, but they're not accessible through a footswitch. Slight dirt tones are excellent, as well as over the top distortion/overdrive tones... I've been smiling a lot while playing this thing!

The various effects sound okay, but get over-the-top quickly. The spring and hall reverb are the most usable - to me. One nice positive, you can set the delay time with a tap button.

It also came with the CD to download to a computer so that you can tweak parameters even more online.   I tried downloading some needed program from the Yamaha website, and it said my computer (6-7 year old laptop running Windows 7) doesn't have enough processor power. Oh well, maybe later.

Also has a built in tuner, which works about average.

Has AUX input with it's own volume to run soundtracks while you play or record (to your computer). This thing works great as a laptop "speaker"  - great tone and volume for listening to other music from that source.

Okay, nuff said. Just want to say, check one of these out - you might be surprised. Expensive new - used they're a pretty nice deal! Another Yamaha product finds it's way into my heart! (That big red thing below is the other one...)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »

And yes, my RS-4 and RS-2 sound excellent through the THR 10 as well...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
WileE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 06:22:47 PM »

Thank you for that.  I've been interested in that amp for a while.  When you say that it was passable with your acoustics, can you elaborate a little more?  Did you try other acoustic pickups other than the Fishman transducer)?  Did you need a pre-amp?

Larrivee 00-40R
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »

I played one a few months back and thought they were pretty cool.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 09:21:04 PM »

Count me as a Yammy fan too. That little amp looks pretty cool. Here's what I'm mostly using. Mack Gem 2.0

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 09:27:09 PM »

I'm a heathen.  I miss the old Peavey amps (favorite amp ever...  Peavey Studio Pro 40).  Whatever you fed into the input came out the speaker louder.  My old one needs new pots.  I recently got a Fender Champion 300 for about what it would cost to replace the pots in the Peavey.  I could do without the onboard FX.  All I want in the amp is a (decent) spring reverb.

Ed
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 04:20:40 AM »

Ed being a heathen myself maybe you should just have the pots cleaned reall good.My favorite PV is the Classic 30,played one for 12 years,sold it to a friend and its been his main amp for 4 years.I also like the PV Delta Blue's.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 05:06:08 AM »

Ed being a heathen myself maybe you should just have the pots cleaned reall good.My favorite PV is the Classic 30,played one for 12 years,sold it to a friend and its been his main amp for 4 years.I also like the PV Delta Blue's.

Sealed pots and mechanically tied to the front panel make cleaning tough.  For that matter, those same things make replacing them tough.

Ed
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 05:52:18 AM »

I had a Peavey Classic 30 which was a hell of an amp.   I sold it to my neighbor when I found a good buy on a used Fender tweed Blues Deluxe.  I love the Fender but that little Classic 30 was just super loud and easy to get that creamy overdriven tube tone we all love.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 08:45:17 PM »

When you say that it was passable with your acoustics, can you elaborate a little more?  Did you try other acoustic pickups other than the Fishman transducer)?  Did you need a pre-amp?

The acoustic tones coming from the THR 10 with a couple of the steel string guitars sounded one-dimensional - it's like they were highlighting the wrong frequencies and muffling the more natural ones.

I played all three of my Larrivees through the guitar again right before sitting down to respond to your post. This time, with more tweaking, I was able to get a very good, usable tone from my D-03 with the Infinity Matrix system in it. By "usable tone" I mean I'd be willing to use it live in a band situation; the sound was pretty acoustic sounding. The sound was so good that I saved it as one of the amp's 5 presets.

My C-10 has the K&K mini pup with just two transducers under the bridge. It sounds very good through my Acoustasonic Jr. and sounds good through a Baggs Venue unit through a PA. But not so great with this amp - I couldn't get the natural sparkle in the trebles without it sounding harsh, and the mids could not be pulled out enough - it's like the Middle and Treble tone knobs just didn't have enough range (or the right frequency focus) to dial in an acoustic tone.

My OM-05 with a simple undersaddle transducer and preamp/no volume or tone controls (a 15-20 old Martin unit, probably made by someone else) sounded okay, and I'd use it in a pinch, but the D-03 w/Matrix sounded much better.

Also, even running the guitars through the Baggs Venue into the THR, I couldn't get the K&K to sound "right." Odd, but that's what I experienced. Who knows - maybe later I'll hear something different.

Hope that helps answer some questions. But remember - this little amp sounds EXCELLENT, with plenty of "at home" volume, with electric guitars, which is what this thread is about. 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
WileE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 12:09:27 AM »

Perfect!  That was exactly what I wanted to know.  Thank you!

Larrivee 00-40R
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 12:55:01 AM »

Here's another update - on using it for acoustic guitars...

We went to a relative's funeral today, and my wife and I were asked to sing (with me accompanying on guitar). So I tried a couple different guitars, and got out my Carvin CL450 thin-bodied nylon string and ran it through the THR. Sounded very good, like the Pimentel classical... the Carvin also has a Fishman pickup with 4 band eq on the side box.

I took the little amp with me to amplify the guitar for the funeral...just for kicks. The sanctuary could probably seat 250+ people - very open, high ceiling, built in 1998. I put the little amp box on a chair behind us, my wife sang through the sound system, and I just played through the THR ... and it sounded fantastic! It filled the sanctuary without even being pushed to it's limits.

Now, granted, this wasn't in a group setting (no drummer, bass, etc.), but I think it could have handled a few other instruments without getting drowned out.

First time my amp has ever weighed less than my guitar/cord/strap/etc., packed in a gig-bag, NOT a hard case!

The guitar in question...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »

I play in a couple group situations and get asked to support others when they come to town, or there's an event and back up guitar player is requested.

I recently traded the limited edition Blonde fender deluxe that was pictured with my RS4 HB (GTOM-October) because, well, it was over powered for the gigs I play.

so now I'm down to two gigging amps, both full tube powered (amp & pre-amp).
 The Vox is a 5 watt(with 1 watt and .4 watt settings (although that Macj Gem looks darn nice)
The Fender is 15, but REALLY loud and very versatile with all my electrics.

I A/B'd the standard black issue of the Blues junior with this red guy, (different speaker) and the lil red won the showdown.
I think for around $400.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: