Ultimate question ?

Started by abalone at last, August 17, 2013, 11:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why are Larrivee guitars so great?

Me first...They refuse to sell out !

Lets hear your answers...... :beer :? :beer :roll :cheers :cheers :nana_guitar :donut :humour: :+1: :welcome:
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7wB3CcJi0

ohh ya thats what I'm talkin about...having fun...players . collectors, forum members , all of the above and more !!!

don't be afraid to represent your Larrivee !!
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

For me its the tone and the bracing pattern that sells it.Plus any righty can be made into a lefty and any lefty can be turned into a righty>
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Probably the obvious reasons, top knotch materials, tried and tested (experienced) craftsmanship,  and attention to maintaining quality (consistency). Obviously,  my lack of guitar building experience shows.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

For me, of course, it's the guitar's construction and sound.  But it's much more.  It's the Larrivee story.  It's the hunt for the best wood.  It's Jean and Wendy.  It's John and Matthew.  It's the legacy and the future.

Nothing here to argue with but I can add
- North American made. No offence to Asian guitars but I earned it here I am spending it here.
- the Larrivee family demonstrate beliefs in their product.
- Jean is a Canadian albeit loaned out to the US (I want to live in California too :laughin:)
- hands on by the owners
- This forum
:beer
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

Excellent and unique voice, unique and evolving design by a talented luthier(s), a family business, North American made, wonderful history.

Agreed...gotta love this forum, too.  :thumbsup

P-03R/IS

Spruce on top...

All of the above, but for me, MOST importantly, as a working Musician for over 40 years, and have been playing JCL guitars since 1972-
it's pride.

Pride of a great company, family owned, hands on, always available, always looking at new woods, and new ways to build a better guitar.

How many other companies can boast those attributes these days?

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Aside from making a great guitar, JCL deserves credit for having the good sense to find his market niche and stick to it ... at least, what I perceive to be the Larrivee 'niche' - that market which exists between mass produced / big name guitar makers and one-of-a-kind boutique builders. I *feel* like my guitars are 'boutique' in quality and uniqueness, but at a price I can afford. And I enjoy the reaction in this area, when meeting other guitar players, who are surprised by my unexpected reply and can only say "I've heard good things about Larrivee" ...

Because they made the best guitar I have ever owned. And I have owned many over the last 40 years.

Great guitar at a great price! It's also comforting knowing that the family is so involved in the process. Definitely an awesome company.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Quote from: unclrob on August 18, 2013, 12:05:30 AM
For me its the tone and the bracing pattern that sells it.Plus any righty can be made into a lefty and any lefty can be turned into a righty>
Yep, Bracing pattern and resulting balance. As far as selling out they didn't really do that but at one time Jean pretty much just wanted to stick with his "L" and classicals. Glad they didn't do that! My 000-60 is just a great fingerpicking guitar.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

whats the best way to describe the Larrivee soundboard......? I'd say tight.
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Abalone----I can only speak for my own instruments .....so,     P05 =......1mm wide perfectly straight graining......loads of shimmering silking...and it must have been easy to book match because it's completely uniform and flawless ! -------   OM03R = perfectly straight 2mm wide grain.....some light brown streaking, but perfectly bookmatched....and plenty of silking too..............excellent for 03 pricing and far beyond my inexperienced expectations.
  By the way, yes agreed with your observation, .............I found the parlour especially "tight" sounding at the bottom end ( fully expected).....but the joy I get now is in hearing the whole instrument start to resonate more and the tone gradually develop into a fuller delivery.---------- The OM03R was actually very good straight out of the box, but that too has definitely begun to get an enriched tone as time and playing go on.

I must also say with regard to backs and sides, that the mahogany on the P05 is honey/golden coloured and basically ..." just perfect" ------the Rosewood on the OM03R has dead straight grain...a couple of small darker marks in the wood, but once again, whoever put the back together, sure knew what they were doing. and you would swear it was just one uniform  piece.

I've got the  new OM40 due for delivery first week in October (first in UK I am told )....and I'm banking on the belief that,(as with any new product line), the initial production runs are given even extra special attention to appearance and construction in order to make the " initial impact" dramatic,... and make the magazine guitar reviewers drool   :drool:..............and I'm gonna ride in on the back of that ! 

Anyway,     Bye bye from... an overweight, beer fuddled, two new puppy owning, contented twanger ! ..........David..England         :wave

....seems the silking could be a common thing....i love it!
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

lets see:
Maple binding, beautiful woods, great family business, great Forum guys and gals,
a great sounding and feeling guitar that blows away some of the more expensive
Martins and Taylors.
There are so many more reasons, but you all know that
Dave

Quality components, the right tone woods, the right designs, and attention to detail.
Q:  How many guitars are enough?

A:  Just one more.