Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newer RS4's Question  (Read 6206 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »

Very nice. I'm really glad I bought one the original RS-4s too. Even if it's only got those stinky Lollar Imperials. 

well those Lollar Imperial original RS4's are gonna be serious collector items some day!
honestly? I'd love to hear those pups, I'm sure they're stellar. nice guitar

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »

well those Lollar Imperial original RS4's are gonna be serious collector items some day!
honestly? I'd love to hear those pups, I'm sure they're stellar. nice guitar

Well, I've only been able to play 4's with Lollars and while I'm sure Matt's pups are fantastic, as we say in Westfort, there's no flies on the Lollars.   
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »

Wonder if they'll change the "Monterey" designation to something else when they redesign? Keep the production models separated someway?

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »

Very nice. I'm really glad I bought one the original RS-4s too. Even if it's only got those stinky Lollar Imperials. 

Yeah, worthless junk pickups, what was Larrivee thinking?! 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »

It is still a striking guitar even without the inlay!! Very nice indeed

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »

Wonder if they'll change the "Monterey" designation to something else when they redesign? Keep the production models separated someway?

It's interesting (or not...) - the 'Monterey' name has never caught on around here - we always refer to it as the RS-4... 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 03:03:13 PM »

It's interesting (or not...) - the 'Monterey' name has never caught on around here - we always refer to it as the RS-4... 

interesting and confusing to the original RS4 run of the eighties......

Like over 50?

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 03:42:42 PM »

It's likely because when it was first released there was no mention of "Monterey" it ws simply the RS4. Same as the RS2 I would have to look up what that is called  blush

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »

RS-2 is (prominently) called the Ventura, but interesting I thought that name developed with the transition to P-90's and pckguard, at which point it really is different than the original.

The RS-4, prior to the changes being discussed here, really hasn't varied much, but for the default pickups....chrome buckers have always been the default, right?

Not being afraid of change is a good thing, but I agree it would have made sense to add an RS-3 or something (maple cap, less bling version) rather than lose the current standard.

should be noted, we still haven't heard about changes from the horses mouth, have we? (apologies to Matthew for the equine association, no disrespect intended.)   blush

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
MurrayP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »

So, as I mentioned earlier, I have the dot RS-4. The case doesn't fit this guitar. The guitar bounces around inside the case. Is that because the guitar is thinner than the original RS-4? It is unfortunate that I have to wedge something into the case to protect this beauty from being bounced around! Fortunately, I am not on the road and she should be just fine most of the time in my basement studio (sort of studio)!

Regards
Murray
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 01:26:16 AM »

So, as I mentioned earlier, I have the dot RS-4. The case doesn't fit this guitar. The guitar bounces around inside the case. Is that because the guitar is thinner than the original RS-4? It is unfortunate that I have to wedge something into the case to protect this beauty from being bounced around! Fortunately, I am not on the road and she should be just fine most of the time in my basement studio (sort of studio)!

Regards
Murray

My RS-4 case doesn't really fit either.  It has same issue that yours does, so it's not specific to the dot-rs-4's.  I am getting ready to do some traveling for work and am sick of not having a guitar when I do so, so I am thinking very seriously about bringing my beloved Forum V and hoping that they'll let me take it on as a carryon.  I need to do something about the wiggling around in the case first.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 03:32:53 AM »

The RS-4, prior to the changes being discussed here, really hasn't varied much, but for the default pickups....chrome buckers have always been the default, right?

Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »

Is that the Vintage Cherry Burst?
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 12:17:20 PM »

well there's an interesting spec change?

regarding not only one but TWO newer dot inlay RS4 case issues.

is this where we get got out the micrometers and do some measuring.
 clearly there have been some body changes as well to the newer ones....?

Like over 50?

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 12:47:11 PM »

clearly there have been some body changes as well to the newer ones....?
I'm not so sure about that. The cases have changed. Tho the case may look better I didn't think they ( the cases) were as sturdy nor as well made. The fit was not as snug either. So likely more of a case issue.

Wouldn't hurt to measure body and cap thickness of the newer ones for comparisons since now we are all wondering.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »

Is that the Vintage Cherry Burst?
It is

Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »

Gorgeous.... drool

meaning that the "standard issue" RS-4 has been a capped 'hog n maple single cut, hog set neck, rosewood board, with "v-block" inlays and buckers, although exceptions, such as P-90's, lacewood caps, ebony boards, dot necks....have existed. Am I wrong that there is a "typical" spec sheet?

Honest question, I'm later to the parade than most of you on these builds.

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »

i posted a pic of both my "monterey" style RS4's, 3rd post down on this thread.

yes to all your concerns, P90's are an option, my goldtop came with p90's and the bigsby.
 matt told me they made 2 of this model, still looking for the other one...

the tobacco burst one has gen 3 Larrivee pick ups,

I also took the liberty of emailing the folks at Larrivee about the "spec" changes on these guitars.

will pass on the info if and when I get a reply.

Like over 50?

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »

I also took the liberty of emailing the folks at Larrivee about the "spec" changes on these guitars.

will pass on the info if and when I get a reply.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »

meaning that the "standard issue" RS-4 has been a capped 'hog n maple single cut, hog set neck, rosewood board, with "v-block" inlays and buckers, although exceptions, such as P-90's, lacewood caps, ebony boards, dot necks....have existed. Am I wrong that there is a "typical" spec sheet?

Honest question, I'm later to the parade than most of you on these builds.
I wouldn't say wrong, just the P90 almost from the start was an option and you are right to say the HB seemed to be the most popular choice but from a few months in after the release of the modern RS4 the pickups always seemed to be a choice as were colors

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: