Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newer RS4's Question  (Read 6199 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »

I saw a new issue (dot inlay) RS4 today, tobacco burst, maple cap. Store price $1,495.00 (CDN).

The original price was $2,300.00 I believe, with discounts to $1,800.00 (give or take).
 that's a substantial price drop, curious as to what any other differences might be (aside from the dot inlays).

anyone know?

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »

No clue, but that's an incredible price for that guitar - that's less than I paid for my Bakerfield when I bought it new! 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:59:07 PM »

My understanding is that Larrivee wants to offer the RS-4, Bakersfield and Lancaster for around the same price--which is why the price for an RS-4 was removed from the Larrivee website.  What changes were made to the RS-4 to make this happen--other than the inlays--I don't know.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »

My understanding is that Larrivee wants to offer the RS-4, Bakersfield and Lancaster for around the same price--which is why the price for an RS-4 was removed from the Larrivee website.  What changes were made to the RS-4 to make this happen--other than the inlays--I don't know.

Well, that's got me scratchin' my head ... doesn't seem to make sense that you'd offer a set neck at around the same price as a bolt neck, but maybe because of Larrivee's tooling, there's really not that much difference in labor time/costs. The carved and glued on flame maple tops would seem to add some to the expense, though...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
rired

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »

Good morning:

I was looking at RS4 guitars online and came across a guitar on eBay from a Larrivee dealer saying that the current RS4 model will be discontinued in favor of a newer model. In his description of the guitar the dealer states:

Larrivee is discontinuing this current model RS-4 to replace it with a stripped down version at a later date. Therefore, they are allowing me to offer a heck of a deal on this New Larrivee RS-4.   

I have no affiliation with this dealer but thought it would be of interest to forum members. Have a good day.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »

Well, I'm hoping Matt might chime in at some point here.

I have been touting the RS4 on and off stage as the very best electric guitar I've ever owned or played, (and I've had them all).
And indeed, I have mentioned many times I bought mine first one-"blind" a few years ago, simply on the  strength of his NAMM interview with David Wren, about his R&D with that guitar.

I can certainly understand, given todays market with guitars, labour and price point, the struggles involved with higher price point instruments, but discontinuing for a lower end version is unfortunate.

I thought adding the RS2 line sort of closed that gap somewhat.

I guess we all wait and see what happens.......

PS. I just called the shop that had (just sold) the $1,495.00 dot RS4, he mentioned that Larrivee was changing it's specs on the RS4, and that would be reflected in the pricing.

So the original RS4's will be more cherished than ever.....

Like over 50?

bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »

I agree with you on every point headsup.  This thread has really piqued my curiosity.  My RS-4 is a wonderful guitar, and I'm glad every day that I decided to dive in and purchase it.  From all I can tell, the electric business has been pretty good to Larrivee, so I am very curious to hear what, if anything, is actually happening.  I'll hold off judgement until we hear from the source. 

Regardless, whatever they decide to do with their electric line wont change the fact that I've got a sweet, and very sexy guitar.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »

uh - oh...this rearranges priorities for me.....a dressed RS-4 is high on my list.

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »

Find this news somewhat disappointing from my vantage point. Surprised Larrivee didn't keep the RS4 we all know and luv and  drool over daily and develop the new dressed down version with the maple cap ( different from the RS2 ) and simply call it the RS3

Personally I am glad I got mine when I did as it really is a spectacular guitar in all ways. It's a guitar that has really convinced me that the majority of electric guitar players buying guitars really know shite - otherwise Larrivee would not have been able to keep up with production

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »

+1

Like over 50?

Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »

Folks better buy up the old-version RS-4's out there for sale, or else they won't be able to get one without paying for custom-like specs.
ovaltine52

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »

I want to chime in here as I own & am crazy about one of the "transition" RS-4's.  And another reason I want to chime in is I need only two more posts until I'm able to post pics.   bigrin

Mine is the one from Notable Guitars that has the Australian lacewood "cap" as Uall call it.  Since my main job is arranging I haven't had time/the opportunity to get it on audio yet.  I'm hoping to get that to happen, but one more post, then pics 1st.

To save time, please read my post "RS-4 dot necks?".

I was actually in the market for the older RS-4 with the inlays/Schallers/Lollar Imperials.  Then I came across my gtr. at Notable.  Nutshell, I figured my bid was too low.  Wrong.     And since Notable has a return policy in place I figured I'd end up sending it back.  So when I opened the case (don't like the case  angry) yeah, pretty guitar, but when I put my left hand on the neck, it was a done deal.  So after having it a few months & that I know it fairly well, no, it's not perfect, but I'm VERY MUCH smitten by/in love with it. 

I don't miss the block inlays/ebony board/Schallers.  Now further down the pike, I might toy with changing out the pickups for a set of Lollar "Low Wind" Imperials, & that's based on the RS-4 I had for a month whereas my gtrs. p'up's are a wee bit stronger, & I knew that when I 1st plugged in, but definitely NOT a deal breaker as I mentioned in an earlier thread.

Now as far as this price thing goes, I'm not the least bit surprised by that price you show.  All the more reason if someone wants one of these "LPStandard-ed down" beauties to make an offer.

Yeah, they seem to be shufflin' the lineup around, but once I started playing my RS-4 the change in appointments made no difference to me.

Onto post #2 & maybe this site will finally let me post some pics.   blush
ovaltine52

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »

Dang it!  The session timed out again.   mad

Nutshell, at the time I purchased my RS-4 I had a chance at 3 nice used ones.  Sure, it was the top/cap that made me pull the trigger, but once I played it, the neck sealed the deal.  The loaner RS-4 had a great neck, my gtr's neck is INCREDIBLE.

I'll probably never get around to changing out the p'ups as Matt's humbuckers are VERY useable.  The loaner RS-4 (Lollar) bridge p'up had a little more "twang".  My gtr. has it though not as prominent.  Minor detail, really.

Okay, hopefully next time around I can get some pics on here.  
MurrayP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »

Hi guys, first post here.

Here in Kingston, Ontario we have a truly wonderful store downtown called Kingston Guitar Shop. I was in there on Thursday to buy some strings and I had seen the RS4 TBSB on their website beforehand (her pic is currently still on their landing page here)> http://www.coolguitars.ca/

There was no price on the website on this guitar and I was surprised to see it was $1,450. I had seen them over the years for $2,100+. The next day I brought in my Taylor T5 to Gord (the owner) that I had bought from him in 07 when I traded in my Les Paul Standard. I gave him a few bucks, picked up the RS4 and ran ("start the car, start the car!!!").

Played a show last night with this beauty and it was just a fantastic experience. The guitar did everything that I could possibly hope for and she played like a dream! I too was wondering about the price and the dots vs inlay and wondering what up with that? The very first thread I read on the Larrivee site (this thread) answered my questions. Thanks for being here!

Regards
Murray
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 09:42:47 PM »

Hi guys, first post here.

Here in Kingston, Ontario we have a truly wonderful store downtown called Kingston Guitar Shop. I was in there on Thursday to buy some strings and I had seen the RS4 TBSB on their website beforehand (her pic is currently still on their landing page here)> http://www.coolguitars.ca/

There was no price on the website on this guitar and I was surprised to see it was $1,450. I had seen them over the years for $2,100+. The next day I brought in my Taylor T5 to Gord (the owner) that I had bought from him in 07 when I traded in my Les Paul Standard. I gave him a few bucks, picked up the RS4 and ran ("start the car, start the car!!!").

Played a show last night with this beauty and it was just a fantastic experience. The guitar did everything that I could possibly hope for and she played like a dream! I too was wondering about the price and the dots vs inlay and wondering what up with that? The very first thread I read on the Larrivee site (this thread) answered my questions. Thanks for being here!

Regards
Murray

Um THAT IS the very guitar I was referring to Murray.
 So You bought it then? Congrats! I talked to Gord yesterday morning, he mentioned a previous Les Paul owner bought it.
you won't be disappointed!
Welcome aboard. nice guitar
Kevin H

Like over 50?

ovaltine52

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »

Well let's see if this works.  Yes, nice RS-4 dot you got there, MurrayP!

The closeup shows the top/cap best, & I took a shot of it on a gig.
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »

Well let's see if this works.� Yes, nice RS-4 dot you got there, MurrayP!

The closeup shows the top/cap best, & I took a shot of it on a gig.

Nice guitar!
ovaltine52

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:27:12 AM »

Thankew, bro!   
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »

Very nice. I'm really glad I bought one the original RS-4s too. Even if it's only got those stinky Lollar Imperials. 
ovaltine52

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:55 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: