Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baggs Lyric Installation  (Read 4997 times)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:02:32 AM »

Well I got a Lyric to put in my OM-05.  Some of you may remember it did not take kindly to my usual choice of K&K.  Still not sure why, but K&K is gone (from that guitar only!) and I tried to install the Lyric tonight.  Not fun.  Strap jack went in OK.  Mic went in OK. Then....

1. The sticky thing on the volume switch held for about 3 minutes.  Came right loose when I stuck my hand in to mount the battery bag. Now its loose in the guitar and I have no idea what to do besides glue it.
2. The Velcro for Battery bag is 10X stronger then the peel and stick stuff on the back of the velcro.  Came right off first time I tried pull the little battery bag loose to put a battery in. Guess I'll have to glue the velcro in now too. I cut it to about a third the size it was, so maybe the velcro will let go first next time. Grrrr.

I pity the poor soul that tries to remove my muddled installation some day.

Maybe a recording tomorrow.  Maybe not.
dBerch

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »

I buy my own velcro for use with the battery install,you do need to make sure the area is clean of dust.As for the volumn control I again use my own from 3M it has a sliver of foam between the adhesive.I put the battery in before the control less chance of knocking out the control box.I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »

Thanks Rob.  Should have cleaned the areas first i guess.  I'll do the batter bag before the volume control next time. :)

www.davidberchtold.com
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:05:58 PM »

OK, I got the Lyric installed in the OM-05. I could not for the life of me get the K&K's off the bridge plate so I snipped 'em and the Lyric is mounted on end-pin side of the bridge just off the bridge pin holes.

First test was to plug it in and AB/d with another OM with a K&K.

Both guitars direct into an A/B switch and single output to an AER Compact 60. So the K&K is direct and the Lyric is using it's on-board preamp driven by the 9V battery.

Volume of the passive K&K is a bit higher than Lyric at full volume. Backed off volume of Lyric so both guitars are same.
Update: That was backwards. The Lyric was louder. Backed off on the Lyric a bit to make them equal.

I'll have to say the Lyric sounds pretty darn good. Very natural. I hear some kind of mid-range resonance that isn't present with the K&K. Even after backing off the mids. Through the AER with a bit of reverb, I'd have to say I prefer the tone of the K&K. The K&K just sounds cleaner. Not sure if that makes sense. I'll readily admit at this point I'm biased toward the tried and proven K&K.

Installation advice: Install the battery bag BEFORE the volume unit so you don't knock the volume unit loose in the process. And clean installation sites with Naphtha or similar. Might have helped in my case, not sure.

I'm not set up to record right now, so sorry, that'll have to wait a couple days at least.

My next gig isn't until Mar 1st, so I'll report back then. I always take at least two guitars, so I'll be switching guitars all night to give it a good test.

Cheers,
David

www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »

Have you tried adjusting the mic presance control that is next too the volumn control?

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »

Dave just installed my Lyric {review in a few weeks} today.Try moving the pu to the back side of the bridgeplate  to get rid of that mid-range resonance.I had the same problem but moving it seems to have cured it.To others out there play around with the position of the pu well worth the time.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 03:21:37 AM »

The backside of the bridge is where i put it!  Damn thing sounds like a resonator! and still tinny.  I'm done.  I can't get this guitar to sound good plugged in. i'm gonna sell it.

Anyeone want a Lyric equipped OM-05?  I'll sell for $900 and you get a lyric to boot.  Maybe you'll have better luck with it live than i did. or if you don't play live, here's a real steal.

It's a fantastic sounding OM unplugged and the easiest guitar to play that i own. The set-up is wonderful.

David

www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:39:59 AM »

Before you sell sell a perfectly good guitar I have since moved the mic to the top away from the bridge.It now sits between the soundhole and the bridge on the low E side of the top.I'm running mine thru a PARA with the mid range control rolled off to about the 7:30 position and the control is at 9:00.I have the mic presence control set as low as It can go,I aslo have wrapped the mic with some foam between the mic and the top plus I've added some over the whole unit.Yes I almost returned mine but decided that I need to be able to find a spot that works in smaller body guitars since most of my clients use smaller guitars not dreads which I believe they were designed too be used in.I do find the mic way to hot but not hot enough to go direct into a PA without the pre-amp.It didn't sound bad thru an acoustic guitar amp but again most of my clients use PA's.I did a shootout with a bunch of other pu's and internal mic's but want to do it again when I find a good place to mount it so it will be fairer.If I can help give me a PM or a call.I can give you some other options were you don't have to sell a fine guitar which I'm sure works great with your style of music.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 03:21:45 AM »

DAVE,DAVE,DAVE!!!!!!!! I think I've solved the problem checkout my adventure's in the lyric review thread......

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »

The backside of the bridge is where i put it!  Damn thing sounds like a resonator! and still tinny.  I'm done.  I can't get this guitar to sound good plugged in. i'm gonna sell it.

Anyeone want a Lyric equipped OM-05?  I'll sell for $900 and you get a lyric to boot.  Maybe you'll have better luck with it live than i did. or if you don't play live, here's a real steal.

It's a fantastic sounding OM unplugged and the easiest guitar to play that i own. The set-up is wonderful.

David

Update - there's hope for my OM-05!

I found a very competent luthier in town recommended by to respected professional players. He's loves K&K, and has installed hundreds.  He popped the K&K discs off my OM-05, and looked around inside and said, "You've had two bad installs. the first had WAY too much Glue." That was me.  "The second had too little, and they didn't remove the old glue or level the bridge plate, so you did not get good contact." That was K&K, believe it or not. I shipped it to them!

He also verified my theory that a bad glue job on the bridge plate could be the culprit. He's seen it before, but very rarely - air pockets below between bridge plate and top.  He said he could X-ray it to be sure it's OK! Once he verifies the bridge plate is solid, he can install a new K&K in a couple hours.

Waiting to get it back...

there's hope!!! Yay!!!

More later,
David

www.davidberchtold.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »

Cool Beans.Here to a happy ending.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: