K&K Mini Install - First Pickup Installation

Started by sawdustdave, August 01, 2013, 01:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My K&K Mini came in the mail on Tuesday. Opened the box and pulled out the instructions. Read them while I enjoyed a cigar on the front porch Tuesday evening. Wednesday, after work, I loosened the strings on my Larrivee OM-03D and found a hex screwdriver to take the endpin off. That done, I opened the box again, laid out the parts, and re-read the instructions.

I started a bit backwards, on purpose. First, I test fit the jack end in the end of the guitar. Marked where the nut needed to be, then pulled it out and began per the instructions.

Using the included template I tested the first "thingy" and then added the glue, installed. Moved to number two and three. Easy as pie. Installed the jack, still needed a couple of tries to get it just right, but it went well. I really was happy for the little hole in the jack to help hold it while I tightened the nut. Slick.

Re-strung, tuned. Strummed. OK

Plugged in - it works! OK, I expected it to, but still, things can, and often do, go wrong. I can see where a pre-amp may be in my future, but through my keyboard amp I can still get the vocal mic and guitar set to match pretty well. The sound was as pure as I think it can be with a low-end amp. I do need some new cables - everytime the mic is bumped I get a nice snarl from the cable. But that's another day's work.

Overall, instructions were great. The task took one screwdriver (hex), one wrench, and the supplied template. So easy I could do it!  :wink:
Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog

I'm glad the installation went smoothly.    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that you will probably need a preamp with it.   :blush:  I use the LRBaggs DI box that I also use with an LRBaggs M-1 passive sound-hole pickup.  It works fine for either one.

Going into my Ultrasound AG50 or AG30 I usually don't use my preamp (K&K Pure Preamp).  Going into a mixer it is necessary.  The same goes for when I used to use a Peavey KB100.

They are pretty dang easy to install, but I still give a sigh of relief every time I plug in for the first time.

Ed

Congrats on a successful install.

Quote from: eded on August 01, 2013, 05:26:37 PM
Going into my Ultrasound AG50 or AG30 I usually don't use my preamp (K&K Pure Preamp).  Going into a mixer it is necessary.  The same goes for when I used to use a Peavey KB100.

They are pretty dang easy to install, but I still give a sigh of relief every time I plug in for the first time.

Ed

:+1: on not needing the preamp for my Genz Benz amps, it probably depends on what type of preamp is used on any particular brand of amp. I do use my K&K XLR preamp though for ease of volume and tone adjustment from the other side of the room from amp.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Best thing you did was pre fit the endpin jack. :thumb
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: sawdustdave on August 01, 2013, 01:57:23 PM
Overall, instructions were great. The task took one screwdriver (hex), one wrench, and the supplied template. So easy I could do it!  :wink:

Hey Sawdustdave, glad the install went so easily for you. Question, I don't see a drill mentioned above; did you not have to drill to install the endpin jack?

:donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee
Cheers!

Zach
--
OM-03

Quote from: ZachStevenson on August 02, 2013, 09:15:38 AM
Hey Sawdustdave, glad the install went so easily for you. Question, I don't see a drill mentioned above; did you not have to drill to install the endpin jack?

No drill needed. My Larrivee's end pin was installed into a nice, clean, 1/2" hold drilled at Larrivee's shop. I was told the newer Larrys are like this. Made life much nicer!
Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog

Good to know! I'm thinking of installing a pick-up in my new OM-03MH and the biggest worry for me in attempting to do it myself was the endpin jack installation. I really did not think I'd be able to muster the courage to take a drill to it.

Cheers!

Zach
--
OM-03