50th aniversary?

Started by headsup, July 29, 2013, 11:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Walkerman on July 30, 2013, 12:53:10 PM
Is the forum 50 years old?

No..    It's 10 years old.  I just posted a new topic about it

Quote from: tuffythepug on July 30, 2013, 12:56:37 PM

No..    It's 10 years old.  I just posted a new topic about it

How about a special edition 10th Anniversary forum T?

My two cents on the guitar - I agree the SOUND should be special; I was sorry I missed out on the 40th and 45th Ann. models...but the sound should dictate the top and B/S/ woods...

I'd like to see the option of L/LV/C bodies, and I'm intrigued by the 12 fret neck on a C...but I also think the guitar should reflect accurately on what makes a Larrivee uniquely a Larrivee, don't know if a 12 fret meets that criteria.

Also agree a special Wendy headstock inlay is a must. Not anything gaudy, but something 'special'.

Personally I don't care for maple body binding - would like to see something special here as well: koa, snakewood, or even BR.

(Gotta start saving my pennies, too!)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 30, 2013, 01:46:38 PM
I'm intrigued by the 12 fret neck on a C...but I also think the guitar should reflect accurately on what makes a Larrivee uniquely a Larrivee, don't know if a 12 fret meets that criteria.

Seeing as Jean started out making Classical guitars I would think that a 12 fret neck wouldn't be out of the norm. Maybe the 50th should be a Classical.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Walkerman on July 30, 2013, 12:53:10 PM
Is the forum 50 years old?

I don't know?  Are we talking dog years?  Not that I should have to for I thought my statement as it stood was clear enough for all to understand what I meant.  However, let me rephrase my original comment.

Maybe the forum could have a Forum Guitar made during Larrivee's 50th year in celebration of the 50th year of Larrivee, the guitar company.  It could be called something like "Forum ??, in celebration of 50 years of Larrivee Guitars", or perhaps the "Forum 5-0!  Book 'em Dano!". 

... or not.  We have 1400 days to think about it. 
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Quote from: Tuba Mike on July 30, 2013, 08:15:16 PM
I don't know?  Are we talking dog years?  Not that I should have to for I thought my statement as it stood was clear enough for all to understand what I meant.  However, let me rephrase my original comment.

Maybe the forum could have a Forum Guitar made during Larrivee's 50th year in celebration of the 50th year of Larrivee, the guitar company.  It could be called something like "Forum ??, in celebration of 50 years of Larrivee Guitars", or perhaps the "Forum 5-0!  Book 'em Dano!". 

... or not.  We have 1400 days to think about it. 

That's a cool idea in my opinion. I wonder if Larrivee would support it or if they would fear it would detract from their 50th anniversary edition? I can't see that being an issue though if they only make 50 total of the anniversary editions, plus from everything I've seen they are very supportive of the forum and forum guitars.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Quote from: brandon on July 30, 2013, 08:38:36 PM
That's a cool idea in my opinion. I wonder if Larrivee would support it or if they would fear it would detract from their 50th anniversary edition? I can't see that being an issue though if they only make 50 total of the anniversary editions, plus from everything I've seen they are very supportive of the forum and forum guitars.

My guess is they would support it, only problem now is I'm now up to 3 guitars!! The 50th Acoustic, the 50th Electric and now the Forum 50th - OMG where am I gonna get all the pennies  :laughin:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

My vote would be a simple L body with IR back and sides a Canadian sitka spruce top. L03R maybe :+1: to make her special iwould add a 12th fret logo of some kind. Limit the run to a couple of hundred
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

To me, the main consideration would be what is the objective of creating a 50th anniverary guitar in the first place, (as opposed to a 49th or 48th or 47th or 46th anniversary guitar for example)?

Is it to create a guitar that incorporates all the best qualities and characteristics and wood combinations that JCL has learned in his guitar building experience over 50 years in terms of tone and playability?  Or is it to create a guitar that accomplishes all of the above while also incorporating all kinds of extra bling and custom headstock inlays?  Or is it to make a guitar that simply has identifiers on it that confirm it as a legitimate 50th anniversary guitar and thus is a collectors item and worth a premium price.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

If the 50th Anniversary model is to be a celebration of 50 years, then I think that it would be appropriate for all guitars made in that year to a serial number that starts with 50.  No need for a special model. Here's why.

I have a 30th Anniversary model ( 1 of just 100 produced ).  Back in 1997 price was in US dollars (no negotiation, the price was the price), and the exchange rate made the sticker price about 50% more in Canadian dollars.

So 100 of us got to join the celebration.  With the price of admission being what it was, I have to wonder how many of those guitars actually get played (much) or get shared in live shows. I know mine does, but that's my philosophy about my guitars. They have to be good enough to play out, and not so precious that I won't.

It's been a bumpy ride with the Larrivée guitars with the higher numbers in the model numbers. It's great that Recording Series guitars (03 primarily) are terrific instruments borne out of a different aesthetic shunning the stunning visual appointments of earlier Larrivée guitars. They present a different but completely credible value proposition. And in so doing, they undermine the resale value of the other guitars in the line.

I consider the Recording Series guitars to be a triumph for Larrivée. They  are a wonderful embodiment of what a guitar is (an accessible instrument for the masses), in a form that is accessible to many.  And I really mean... many more than the 10, 19, 09, guitars that came before.

I think the triumph will have been 50 years of making guitars that provide the "solid-wood" value proposition to so many people over the years.

I'm thinking that the best celebration would be one that Larrivée shares with everyone who gets a Larrivée guitar that year.

A 50 in the serial number or a special label commemorating 50 years: That would do it for me.  I hope that the price of admission to the 50th anniversay celebration would be zero (no upcharge).

"A 50 in the serial number or a special label commorating 50 years: That would do it for me.  I hope that the price of admission to the 50th anniversay celebration would be zero (no upcharge)."

So, you're saying that on your 50th wedding anniversary, your wife should be happy with just a card that says happy 50th?

Quote from: Walkerman on July 31, 2013, 07:37:01 AM
"A 50 in the serial number or a special label commorating 50 years: That would do it for me.  I hope that the price of admission to the 50th anniversay celebration would be zero (no upcharge)."

So, you're saying that on your 50th wedding anniversary, your wife should be happy with just a card that says happy 50th?

Same here.  As for the wife, she should be happy with a guitar that says the above.  "Check the label, baby!  Who loves ya!"  After 50 years, she shouldn't be surprised.  :humour:
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Quote from: Walkerman on July 30, 2013, 01:24:19 PM
How about a special edition 10th Anniversary forum T?

I just caught the "T" in your post.  Completely missed it the first time.  Yes, a 10th anniversary T would be a good idea.
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on July 30, 2013, 06:53:43 PM
Seeing as Jean started out making Classical guitars I would think that a 12 fret neck wouldn't be out of the norm. Maybe the 50th should be a Classical.

Maybe offer a classical as a 50th Anniversary model, but it has limited market appeal, so I'd also do the L/LV/C/whatever.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Walkerman on July 31, 2013, 07:37:01 AM

That's quite a leap.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

It's gotta be the guitar that put Larrivee on the Map - a 'C' - presentation series and a special 50th anniversary headstock inlay.
Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

Quote from: GGBB on July 31, 2013, 04:13:33 PM
It's gotta be the guitar that put Larrivee on the Map - a 'C' - presentation series and a special 50th anniversary headstock inlay.

:+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

LOVE speculation!
maybe the company will go public!
Maybe Jean will retire (doubtful).
personally, I feel they have taken the acoustic guitar to a whole new plane, both with construction, new and exciting tone woods, high end presentation models to the simplest and subtlest of modest, yet wonderfully sounding and playing guitars, and have been taken around the world 20,000 times in the ISS.

Maybe the introduction of a new and bold model is in order.

Perhaps a fine arch top, cutaway, flame maple, spruce top (carved or pressed), with a tribute to the fine old builders from NYC in the 30's and 40's.

Just a preferential thought, about a new venture to shake the guitar world up a bit.......
Besides, I already have the best acoustics and electrics they make, but I NEED the afore mentioned product.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

A gold "50" at the twelfth fret.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on July 31, 2013, 03:07:41 PM
That's quite a leap.

Not so much of a leap when you consider this......."I hope that the price of admission to the 50th anniversay celebration would be zero (no upcharge)."