RS-4 Pickups

Started by thehtm, August 31, 2013, 06:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I had a Larrivee RS with Imperials that I had to sell, and am thinking of getting another.  What is the consensus on the Larrivee pickups? Do they wind all of their own now, or just humbuckers?

As far as I know, all the pickup options on the latest RS-4 models are designed in house by (Matt?) Larrivee.  Whomever winds them is irrelevant,  no?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: thehtm on August 31, 2013, 06:11:32 PM
I had a Larrivee RS with Imperials that I had to sell, and am thinking of getting another.  What is the consensus on the Larrivee pickups? Do they wind all of their own now, or just humbuckers?
I have both Lollar Imperials and the Matt Larrivee's - they both are top shelf in the desired PAF tone, if I had to choose it really wouldn't matter much to me but think I would take the Larrivee's. If you luved the RS4 with the Lollars you will be just as happy or slightly moreso with the Larrivee's I'm pretty confident in that statement!

As far as I know Larrivee are doing all their pickups in house now.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Go with the Larrivee's much smoother sounding and a bit more dynamic.Lollars always seem to be a bit harsh in the mids for me.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on September 01, 2013, 10:59:29 AM
Lollars always seem to be a bit harsh in the mids for me.
Not these one's Uncle - no harshness at all
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I have to go with Joyce on that.  Lollar p'ups are what brought me to the party.  But once i played my RS-4 with LV p'ups with the same amp as the RS-4 with Lollars, they sound every bit as good which is why I won't change them out now.  For me, the bridge p'up has a great "twang" to it which again, works for what I do.  In another discussion, there are those that would want a little fatter bridge p'up, but both p'ups, especially the bridge are spot on, for me anyway.