Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bakersfield on it's way  (Read 3368 times)
tulk1

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »

Yep, found one. On it's way to me as I type. Sellers pics. Wouldn't mind finding one of Matthew's mini's to toss in it at sometime. But, that is down the road a bit. For now .... just a grinnin'  bigrin

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »

Very nice.Are the pu's Larrivee's or Duncan's?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »

It's a first year model, so Duncan pickups. Are the newer ones all Larrivee pups?

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »

I believe so.I have a bridge pu that I got from Larrivee made by Matthew and it the best tele pu I've ever heard and I've heard a lot of tele's and owned a lot also.The note separation and how it responds to the volumn control and tone control and cap......well.......so sweet that I only needed that one pu in my MIDI guitar.Also this is the first time that I've even like just the bridge pu I usally just played the neck pu of my tele's adding in the bridge when I wanted a stepup or to cut thru and then only in conjuction with the neck pu.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 07:33:13 PM »

It's a first year model, so Duncan pickups. Are the newer ones all Larrivee pups?
Yes. Beauty BTW. You will be pleased!!!!!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »

Well, I've already emailed Larrivee asking about the availability of getting actual L'pups. Haven't heard back yet. Would love to have actual Matthew pups, but I can't imagine he'd let one of the Bakersfield's out with bad pickup choices. 

Kenny

Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »

Beautiful guitar. 
Congratulations, tulk1.
Here, have a donut.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 03:08:41 AM »

I've played the Duncan equipped Bakersfield and I'm not a fan of Duncans but the pick ups on the Larrivee were pretty nice but I think the Larrivee pu's are sooooo much better.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »

I've played the Duncan equipped Bakersfield and I'm not a fan but the pick ups on the Larrivee were pretty nice but I think the Larrivee pu's are sooooo much better.
I have both and the Duncans are very very good pu's as are the Larrivee's

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »

I would think the Duncans have to be good or they wouldn't be on that guitar. However, I'm definitely in the Matthew Larrivee Pickup camp. Love them on my RS2, would certainly love to retrofit my Bakersfield to Matthew pups. However, 3 days in and still waiting to hear back from them about availability, etc. Then again, I don't actually have the guitar, either.  crying Tracking says Friday. And I just happen to be at home this Friday.  bigrin

Kenny

teacycle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 07:48:16 AM »

Hi Joyce,

I have a Bakersfield with Duncans. Can you describe the difference between the Duncans and Matthews pu's.
 I also have an RS4 with Lollars and I find them  a bit too hot for my liking and wondering if Matt's would be more....hmmmmmm vintage sounding.

Thanks.
The info on this forum is great for us Larrivee fans.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »

Hi Joyce,

I have a Bakersfield with Duncans. Can you describe the difference between the Duncans and Matthews pu's.
 I also have an RS4 with Lollars and I find them  a bit too hot for my liking and wondering if Matt's would be more....hmmmmmm vintage sounding.

OMG describing p/u sounds has never been my strength. For me the differences between the Duncan and Larrivee is so so subtle. So much so I would never go out and change one out for the other unless I was doing so just for the exercise alone. I believe from a conversation I had with Matthew ( I have not had many :-( but he mentionned he was seeking the vintage "broadcaster" sound he had in his head. Now what exactly is that vintage sound given the fact that in the early 50's these pup's were all hand-wound and somewhat inconsistent. I'm sure Duncan attempted the same. So now we have a couple of highly motivated passionate people to their craft with a sound in their head and probably using actual PUP's from the 50's to refine the sound they are chasing. To me they both nailed it to attempt to describe the difference is impossible.

Now regarding your RS, I have never thought of the Lollars as being a hot PUP. Are they hotter then the Larrivee? Yeah a little more so, but once again only slightly. Is there a big difference between the two - Nope! Certainly for me not something I would go out to change. Are the Larrivees more of a vintage PAF sound argueably yes but there were incinsistencies with the early Gibson PUP's too. So it depends on what you are comparing them to.

Just my opinion

tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »

Between Matthew's covered pickups on my RS4 and the same pickups uncovered on my RS2, we always referred to the RS4 sound as "polite" as opposed to the RS2 being a bit more "raw". Could be the difference in bodies, tho'.

Kenny

Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »

The wait has got to be killing you! Nice choice on that beauty Tulk.

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »

The wait has got to be killing you! Nice choice on that beauty Tulk.
Thanks!! And you know it is!! Will have it in tow next week, tho'. 

Kenny

Boogeyman78

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 06:58:02 PM »

Congrats on that beauty!  You are going to love the way it plays & sounds. 
teacycle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 04:19:54 AM »

OMG describing p/u sounds has never been my strength. For me the differences between the Duncan and Larrivee is so so subtle. So much so I would never go out and change one out for the other unless I was doing so just for the exercise alone. I believe from a conversation I had with Matthew ( I have not had many :-( but he mentionned he was seeking the vintage "broadcaster" sound he had in his head. Now what exactly is that vintage sound given the fact that in the early 50's these pup's were all hand-wound and somewhat inconsistent. I'm sure Duncan attempted the same. So now we have a couple of highly motivated passionate people to their craft with a sound in their head and probably using actual PUP's from the 50's to refine the sound they are chasing. To me they both nailed it to attempt to describe the difference is impossible.

Now regarding your RS, I have never thought of the Lollars as being a hot PUP. Are they hotter then the Larrivee? Yeah a little more so, but once again only slightly. Is there a big difference between the two - Nope! Certainly for me not something I would go out to change. Are the Larrivees more of a vintage PAF sound argueably yes but there were incinsistencies with the early Gibson PUP's too. So it depends on what you are comparing them to.

Just my opinion

Thanks Joyce.

Your opinion speaks volumes.

Cheers,
Steve
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 04:25:59 AM »

+1 What teacycle said.  +1

A very useful and honest evaluation IMHO, Andrew.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »

My Larrivee came with Duncans, and later I had Matthew put the new Larrivee pups in it (with the mini at the neck). I would agree with both unclrob and Andrew; both sets of pickups sound excellent. If anything, Matthew's bridge pickup is slightly hotter, yet just as clear (not muddy) - so slightly more output. However, maybe it's just adjusted closer to the strings...?

My assessment is from installing the Duncan in one of my Warmoth Strats and comparing it to the Larrivee side-by-side. However, the Warmoth is a walnut hollowbody (no f-hole); so slightly different wood, but I doubt it has any impact on the perceived output/volume of the pickups.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »

Well, I'm still waiting to hear back from them all about the availability of Matthew's pickups. How did you get them?

Kenny

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: