Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How low can you go?  (Read 2327 times)
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »

Ok, to be filed under generally irrelevant/possible entertaining information....

but a topic I actually wonder about occasionally.

In the electric world it seems guitar strap length is almost genre based. In Jazz, they're right up on your breast...even solid/thin body players do so (Frisell with his tele, Scofield with his semi)

Some blues rockers (Keef/Slash) play off the thigh

Then there's Trucks with his SG on his belly, middle of the road.

As a newer electric player just getting to where I'm playing onstage occasionally, I still vacillate. I tend to put the waist just below my lowest rib.....regardless of the guitar. I hike my semi up occasionally, drop my RS-2 down occasionally..etc

I suppose this is an issue for acoustic players as well...but the variance seems less dramatic.

So, where does your axe hang?

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »

These guys look like posers

These guys look like players

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »

The only thing you can do is keep trying to find your comfy spot.I play electric guitar between my belly and my upper torso,bass playing I play slightlty lower but I do play a Guild Starfire which is shaped like an ES335.I play seated when playing acoustic.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »

I've tried going low with my electrics so that I could look cool too.  But I have not figured out how to play barre chords with my hand at that sort of angle when the guitar is around thigh height.   I know that works for some players but I keep my guitar at gut level for optimum playability;    and coolness be damned   
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »

Neck pickup - typically around the solar plexus.  Where I wear my guitar depends on the guitar, and the style of music but I rarely have the bridge pickup below the belt-line.

As an aside, I've worn my belt buckle by my left hip since I started playing guitar.  The only guitar I own with buckle rash, is one I lent out.

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:41 PM »

I play sitting more often than not.  When I stand, my guitar is about where it would be if sitting...  over my belly.  Of course, because of my belly, that's requiring more and more of a stretch.

Ed
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:05:04 PM »

Hi Lynn,

I've tried going low with my electrics so that I could look cool too.  But I have not figured out how to play barre chords with my hand at that sort of angle when the guitar is around thigh height.   I know that works for some players but I keep my guitar at gut level for optimum playability;    and coolness be damned  

I've often thought (hoped) that if you've  got the chops, looking cool doesn't matter BUT

the other day someone asked me,  
"Do you think anybody cares what kind of guitar I play?"
I replied
"If you can sing, you could be holding a broom for all anybody cares".

broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:12:01 AM »

I play standing with guitar high and neck angled up, nut at shoulder height. My hand is held in the classical position most of the time, thumb planted in the middle of the neck. My buddy says it looks funny,,,,what does he know?

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 01:17:09 AM »

That second guy actually looks more like p*sser - maybe his mom never told him to take off his guitar before he goes . . .

That's the late Steve Clark of Def Leppard.
Not a favorite of mine but clearly knew his way around the guitar and could bend it to his will.
Died at age 30 of an overdose.
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »

I've tried going low with my electrics so that I could look cool too.  But I have not figured out how to play barre chords with my hand at that sort of angle when the guitar is around thigh height.   I know that works for some players but I keep my guitar at gut level for optimum playability;    and coolness be damned   

this.

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 08:01:51 AM »

this.

Me too!  Plus, I find I have to change the angle of the guitar from more horizontal to more vertical depending on where I am up and down the neck.  I seem to adjust the guitar to my wrist as opposed to adjusting my wrist angle to the guitar, if that makes sense.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Jonesy76

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 11:57:22 PM »

Saul Hudson - a.k.a. Slash - was my main inspiration to learn to play guitar.

That helicopter shot of him with the Joe Perry Tobacco burst Les Paul in the little graveyard in the 'November Rain' was just so impossibly cool I wanted a Les Paul from that very moment and I wanted it as low slung as possible.  I soon realised that no matter how damn good Slash was there was just no way I could play barre chords unless I had the headstock and neck pointing up.  How the hell Steve Clarke played his Les Paul even lower than Slash was beyond my comprehension (and I've seen Def Leppard live four times now so it can definitely be said I'm a fan!).

My guitars have gradually come up as I've got older, but I've yet to reach the guitar-under-your-chin look that The Shadows made their own!

Larrivee Custom LCJ-10-12E 'Baby Dragon' and vine-of-life inlay
Larrivee Custom C-10E 'Ddraig Bach' ('Baby Dragon')
Gibson Les Paul Historic '59
Legra custom-made Les Paul Doubleneck
1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »

I keep mine right in front of the gut. Helps to hide it ... or so I've always thought. Hmmm, probably not tho'. But that is where it seems to sit the best.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »

Right On, Kenny. Love seeing that RS-2 Making a living. that guitar seems to like it lower than my tele or 535 for some reason.

Has that Bakersfield shown it's face yet?

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »

Bakersfield is alive and well. Seemed we were busy or I was gigging after it arrived. Had a couple of hours with it yesterday. Amazing guitar. So light weight, yet SO resonant. It's probably going to make the trek for Saturday. Pics and all when the weather clears up at home. My black Heritage strap looks great on it!! 

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: