Tuner Buttons (I Finally Found a Source)

Started by webberink, July 12, 2013, 11:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another dumb question which I can't seem to find an answer to in past threads.  So if a guy wanted to change his tuner buttons on his full size Larrivee ping tuners, from the stock chrome to Ivoroid, where would he/she get them???
Just wondering.  :whistling:
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Check Stewaet MacDonalds,All Parts maybe even Cherokee.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Tough question.  We've been over this repeatedly and nobody has ever been able to find a source of buttons that fits Pings properly.

Schaller and Grover buttons are very easy to find. 

Me thinks I will email Matthew at Larrivee directly.  Maybe it will get us a definitive answer.  I will post the reply.
Dave

The Gotoh tuners listed below, for the most part, drop right in to replace the tuners on your Larrivee. I've ordered from this company many times with complete satisfaction.  

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/tuning-machines/steel-string-tuners

I am Just trying to change the buttons on my Larrivee tuners Duck not the whole shebang. :arrow
Dave

Schallers, grovers, and Ping (larrivee) all have different size (and shaped) tuner button shaft. (no secret here)

Over the years Larrivee has used them all, presently I have Larrivee guitars with all three tuner names, all direct from the factory.

The schaller ebony buttons fit nicely onto the Larrivee tuners, which is curious, because the buttons that came of the larrivee/Pings did not fit on to the Schallers.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on July 16, 2013, 07:37:13 AM
The schaller ebony buttons fit nicely onto the Larrivee tuners, which is curious, because the buttons that came of the larrivee/Pings did not fit on to the Schallers.....
Interesting  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

FWIW I have established the Gotoh SG tuner buttons don't fit on the Larrivee Pings.
Dave

Quote from: webberink on July 13, 2013, 04:46:45 PM
Me thinks I will email Matthew at Larrivee directly.  Maybe it will get us a definitive answer.  I will post the reply.
Dave

I've successfully used the schaller full sized knobs from stew mac before. I get asked this question a lot so I bought a set from Stew Mac to see with my own eyes. They fit and operated just fine. This was about 2 years ago. As for Ivoroid im not sure if anyone sells them. I have ivoroid knobs, but they are attached to gold tuners - you would have to buy a whole set of tuners to butcher the knobs.

Good info there Matt.

Maybe I should try ordering an Ebony sell of Schaller buttons for my beloved 1998 OM-03R.

Matthew
I wonder how a hoser like me goes about ordering the gold tuners with the Ivoriod buttons that you refered to???  I am in the Great White North.
Thanks
Dave

Quote from: webberink on July 29, 2013, 06:46:14 PM
Matthew
I wonder how a hoser like me goes about ordering the gold tuners with the Ivoriod buttons that you refered to??? 
Can't you do as Matthew did, simply order from Stewmac  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Joyce,
StewMac only has pearloid and ebony Schaller button's, not ivoroid.  Neither turn my crank.  Besides I wouldn't mind giving my D-09 a bit of a face lift in gold tuners.
Dave

So I finally found a source for tuner buttons for the Ping tuners on my Larrivee D-09 and along the way I figured out something about Ping tuners over the years.  The tuner button shaft on the full size Pings on my 96 and 97 Larrivees are slightly smaller than the shaft on the replacement full size pings that I had the Larrivee factory send me a couple of years ago.  That being said, the Gotoh tuner buttons won't fit on the more recent pings but will fit nicely on the older ones.  Interestingly Grover tuner buttons appear to fit nicely on both although with a slightly looser fit on the older pings.  So I ordered Grover Ivoroid buttons to replace the chrome on my 97 D-09.  They fit wonderfully and look so nice with the stock Ivoroid binding on the neck and the bone nut, saddle and bridge pins I have installed.  Sweet.  My source for those who want to know was Lueez Guitar and they have an incredible selection of all kinds of guitar stuff like tuner buttons, bridge pins and nut and saddle material.  The buttons I ended up with look exactly the same as the buttons Morgan guitars uses on their exotic wood models.  Lueez Guitar shipps out of Taiwan, is very reasonable and ships very fast, just over a week to BC Canada.   http://www.ebay.ca/sch/lueezguitar/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654

Very nice mod indeed, well worth your efforts!!

I am glad you found what you were looking for even though I like the look of the original buttons much better.  Of course, it is not my guitar, is it?  :winkin: