Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very low priced combo mic/UST pup systems on eBay  (Read 608 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2013, 05:07:41 AM »

So, I don't really have interest right now in a new pup system for my acoustic, but I got to see Jars of Clay up close and personal last week at their new CD release show at a tiny book/record store in Nashville (Grimey's Too).

Dan Haseltine, the lead singer, was using a Meinl stompboard, a snare and a ride cymbal, and with this very simple setup did a fine substitute for a proper drum kit.  So I started looking at buying a stompboard, or making one myself, and I ended up on e-Bay looking for piezo disc transducers, and came across these postings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Guitar-4-Bands-Preamp-EQ-Pickup-C-MIC-Blend-Tuner-Piezo-Transducer-/271139792876?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f2130e7ec

Check that thing out - a UST and a small probably electret condenser mic, with blend control, 4 band EQ AND balanced XLR or unbalanced 1/4" output, for a way small price.  (we aren't allowed to show prices here, correct?)

There's several flavors of this kind of thing, some swap out the UST for piezo discs.

This one mounts in the sound-hole:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Band-EQ-Equalizer-Piezo-Pickup-for-Acoustic-Classical-Guitar-w-MIC/271244550938?rt=nc

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried these bargain basement pickup systems?  I did just buy a very well-set-up First Act (don't laugh, it plays very nicely) acoustic for my son, and this would be both a learning experience for me for cutting out the holes for the two parts (output jack plate and electronics), and might actually sound decent with the blended output of UST and microphone.

Anyone?

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
lmacmil

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried these bargain basement pickup systems? 

I bought one of the cheap, direct from Hong Kong, active UST pickups last year.  The UST element was so thick (.110") that I couldn't use it, I would have had too much saddle sticking out of the slot.  I ended up giving it away with a guitar I sold.  There was a discussion on AGF about the same time and the guy said his sounded horrible.  For $21 though, you might want to take a chance.  Good luck.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »

i would definately steer clear of this stuff.
 you get what you pay for, my experience has been, that is poorly made, and sounds crappy.
 for a hundred bucks you can get something very good, easy to install, and you don't have to cut holes in your guitar....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: