Recording Software

Started by ark, January 19, 2005, 03:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'd like to record my fingerstyle practice sessions on my computer so I can really hear what I'm doing ( or not doing!), and know I'll need some basic equipment plus recording software. Unfortunately, I've just started looking into this and learned about Mackie's excellent Tracktion software -- which was free only until the end of last year -- so I'm out of luck on that. Is there any other freeware or shareware recording software that you would recommend?
Thx,
Al
OM-5

I recently downloaded audacity and Kristal, both good and free. I did download the "free"traction before Jan 1 but could not get it registered. Now it throws stuff into the recordings to prevent it from making a clean recording. For basic work both of the above are pretty good programs. BTW Little Brother has a great on-line tutorial on home recording on the acousticplayermagazine.com web site. It was very helpful for me. It is also a very good site to compliment the Larrivee forum.

Orsino, Jimmy -- thanks for the great info! Now that I have a couple of software options, I guess I just need a mic ( no electronics in the OM-5) and some sort of preamp/interface box that I can hook up to a USB port. My needs are simple (I think)-- just want to record the guitar, no voice, etc. I read somewhere the MXL 990 mic for about $60 is a good choice, or would some type of clip-on sound hole mic be better?  Any suggestions on a USB compatible interface box? And if anyone has used both Audacity and Kristal, I appreciate hearing which one you think would best fit my needs.
I'll also check out the Little Brother home recording tutorial since I have no experience in this area -- yet :)
Al

Hi Al, I use a studio projects B1 for vocals and acoustic guitar.  I tried the lower priced MXL stuff, but it was too noisy for my taste.  I have SM-58's and 57's for our praise band to use when performing, and I use them for mic'ing my amp when I play electric.  I don't go direct into the computer, so I don't have a good recommendation for that.  I go into an ART Tube MP preamp, then a Fostex MR-8.  I would like to go through the computer without the other gear, but my caveman mind couldn't get the hang of it.  The Studio Projects mic's are affordable, and are good for just about everything.  Good luck!  Jason
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

I use an M-Audio MobilePRE USB device, hook my mics into it. Or, one mic and plug in my jumbo, which has electronics installed. Works nice. You can also connect a tape recorder or deck into it. Basically, it replaces my laptop sound card. Then I use Audacity to record.

I can carry everything in my laptop bag, which makes recording wedding solos to CD easy enough. Setup in the living room, where the grand is located, takes minutes. Then off to church for use of the organ. There's too much "stuff" we musicians carry around as it is! This makes it easier.

My mics are SM-57/58 clones (Nady?) I got via Musician's Friend. About 20 bucks each, but they seem fine for the use I make of 'em. I don't need studio quality as yet, and this setup provides a pretty good recording. Works slick for practicing guitar or voice as well.

Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog

I have an M-Audio Audiophile USB external sound card connected to my HP Pavilion notebook (512MB RAM). To that I connect an ALTO 6 track mixer where I plug in my guitars (through Behringer V-amp for the electric and a Zoom 504II for the acoustic) and my microphones. The ALTO has two tracks with balanced XLR inputs and nice warm preamps, plus phantom power for the condensers. I also have an Edirol PCRM-1 keyboard/MIDI controller for MIDI recording and sequencing.

I record using Sonar 4.0 which isn't cheap even with academic pricing! I do my mastering in SoundForge 6.0.

In addition to the already mentioned Audacity, there is another freeware recording program called Quartz Audio Master which isn't too bad. It has a bunch of onboard effects but only allows four tracks. If you don't mind mixing down constantly to make room for more tracks (pretend you are the Beatles pre-1967) it is a great little program. They have a website where you can share your audio files with others as well. You can download it at the Digital Sound Planet website:

Digital Sound Planet

I've also looked at Adobe's Audition 1.5 which Little Brother recommends (used to be Cool Tracks) and it seems an easy and intuitive interface and it isn't as pricey as Sonar (in the $250 range). Check out LB's video lesson on home recording using Audition - it is an excellent tutorial on how to begin your own home studio/computer recording. It is on the Acoustic Player Magazine site (which seems to be down at the moment so I can't link the exact page).
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Thanks all for the great info. I plan to hit some stores these weekend to see what is available locally. The M-Audio MobilePre USB seems like it might be a good choice for my needs. Regarding microphones, would some type of sound hole clip-on make sense, or is it better to go with a condenser studio type microphone on as stand?
Thx,
Al

I'd go with a good inexpensive condenser like the MXL 603S. I have two of them and only use one at this point. If you're interested in buying it email me.