Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Om-60 Info Request  (Read 1234 times)
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2004, 07:18:15 PM »

Hello, this is may 1st post here...i just ordered an OM-60 over a OM-09 which i had oriiginally wanted to get but i couldn't resist ordering the OM-60 once i saw it...the problem is i can't find spec info of the OM-60 and the Larrivee site doesn't have the it listed yet.  i presume they are pretty much identical to the other OMs other than the sound hole size but i'd like to know if someone knows if it has a 1 3/4 inch nut width and 25.5 scale length or if it has any unique specs/dimensions not found on their other OMs...
Thanks poki

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Zach
Admin

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 07:51:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure it has a 1 11/16" nut.  

Zach
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 11:04:21 PM »

Like Zack says, I too think it comes with the 1 11/16 neck width instead of the 1 3/4 that most OM go with.  At least the one at Elderly Instuments is selling has the narrower neck.  

Not sure when Larrivee is going to update the info on this model, perhaps Matthew L. might chime in and give us a bit more insight?

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 11:41:01 PM »

Thanks zselby, i made some calls and they confirm the OM-60 has a 1 11/16 nut width (25.5 scale length)unlike Larrivee's other OMs which have the 1 3/4 nut.  i'm still new at playing guitars and have unusually short fingers so i guess the 1 11/16 nut will make it easier to reach chords but i prefer fingerstyle over strumming chords so i'm wondering if the 1 11/16 width will make it notably more difficult to pluck the correct strings than a 1 3/4 nut.  i guess it will have to be my personal preference but i'd like to hear from others who play fingerstyle what nut width they prefer or if it even matters...
Thanks poki

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 12:02:49 AM »

Hi, me again!

I have 2 dreadnaught's and both have the 1 11/16 necks and they are fine for flatpicking/strumming.  But when it comes to finger picking, I much perfer my Larrivee OM-05 with the 1 3/4 neck.  And it's not too bad going back and forth between guitars, the adjustment comes quickly but I do find the wider neck much easier on both hands.  Going forward, I would probably only buy a guitar with the 1 3/4 neck.

But it is a matter of personal preference and choice.

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 02:53:43 AM »

Well I prob wont be of any help as I play everthing finger style,like newstrings say you'll adjust.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 03:39:47 AM »

I play fingerstyle, and I love the 1 3/4" nut width, but got along fine without it until I got the OM. Now I wouldn't go back to a narrower width.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Imapickn

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 12:51:01 PM »

Hi Poki and welcome to this great place...
 The OM-60 you ordered will be one of your best friends... I think you will like the smaller neck. If I had known that the OM-60 and OM-50 had the 1 11/16" neck, I would probably bought one instead of the D-50. I love the D-50, now, and will keep her a long long time.  :D
 I really like the neck on the D-50, and the 1 11/16" works out well with my fingerpickn. I have an L-05MT with a 1 3/4" that I go back and forth with. I have a few Taylors that have the 1 3/4" neck, (one with a 1 11/16") and a few Martins with 1 11/16" necks..... My point is..... you will adjust to the size of the neck if you like the playing, and the sound of the guitar... So enjoy,
and give us a review of that new jewel....
Don
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 07:38:30 AM »

After carefull consideration of the advice and assistance of folks here i decided to cancel the order for the OM-60 and ordered my original choice, the OM-09.  The main reasons for the change was due to the OM-60s 11/16 nut width which gave me some doub't about using it for fingerstyle though i have small hands and would like to try a 11/16 guitar in the future for sure.  As for the OM-09, i have it in hand and it's like the moon inexplicably fell out of the sky and violently slammed into my eye like a big pizza pie...That's Amore...

the OM-09 action is a bit lower than my classical guitar making it very easy to play.  The steel string tension doesn't seem to be a problem at all for me which was something a friend warned me about compared to the nylon classical...The construction and finish is flawless and displays excellent worksmanship in all respects.  The wood is top notch and i really like the flamed maple binding...i'm still a beginner with the guitar so i can't say much about the tonal qualities but i've never heard anyone complain about the OM-09 sound.
Suffice to say i have no regrets getting the OM-09 or for that matter, deciding to take up the guitar which i did on a casual whim this past Oct.  Now there isn't a day that goes by that i don't play the guitar for at least an hour or two or more and now i have two guitars to play...back to practicing...
Happy pluckin', poki   :)

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 09:32:49 AM »

Congrats Poki on purchasing a fantastic guitar!!!  I think you did the right thing getting the 1 3/4 neck for fingerstyle picking,  The OM-09 is a beautiful guitar and I know the 2 of you will make beautiful music together!!!  Enjoy!!!

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 03:25:45 AM »

Here's a pic of my new OM-09...
http://www.pbase.com/image/25375376/original.jpg
 B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 11:02:33 AM »

She is a beauty Poki!!!!  A really wonderful guitar!!!

Enjoy!!

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 04:35:27 PM »

I love my OM-09 more all the time! My guitar teacher is also in love with it, and will probably be ordering one soon!

Enjoy! :D

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: