Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee L-03 Or L-03r For Fingerstyle??  (Read 1632 times)
ms960

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2004, 03:07:28 PM »

Hi all,

I've got my eye on a couple Larrivee's, the L-03 and L-03R, that I would use mostly for fingerstyle, but also want to sound good enough to strum and flatpick just a little. I wanted opinions as to whether which would be a better fingerstyle guitar? I know the basic difference between rosewood and mahogany, but not how they apply to fingerstyle. Any suggestions? I do have a nice mahogany dread, by the way.

Thanks!
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 04:37:46 PM »

Other guitars I've tried, the rosewood has a little "muddier" sound, with a bit more bass than I want for fingerstyle. I haven't tried a Larrivee rosewood, though. Larrivee makes such a nice balanced guitar, it might not make as much difference. Mahogany tends to be "tighter" and brighter. I bought Koa--somewhere inbetween the two. Have you tried them both out?

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Hugendubel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 11:50:51 PM »

I don't have the comparison but from my exprience with my L-03R I can highly recommend it as a very versatile guitar. Compared to any other guitar I can remember having played it has the most balanced sound. It's a great fingerpicking guitar as well as it takes strumming with ease. Fingerpicked it just has the right amount of bass and attack for my style of playing.

If you get the opportunity to A/B-test both l-03 and l-03R you should proceed such a test. Requirements and taste of different players differ so nothing will be better than your own impression.

Larrivée L03-R with B-Band AST
Larrivée D-05 with B-Band AST
Lakewood D-32 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: