Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Coming Unglued  (Read 1548 times)
Wiley Ibex

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2003, 07:19:52 PM »

I noticed that for the last couple of days there seemed to be some tuning/intonation problems with my month-and-a-half-old LV09E. I marked it down to worn strings, and resolved to replace them ASAP. Sooooooo...

Last night I sat down to change strings and realized that my intonation probelms were NOT due to string wear -- THE BRIDGE IS COMING UP!!! Indeed, the "upper rear" third of the bridge (the section pointing to your right elbow as you play the guitar) was coming unglued and pulling up and away from the body of the guitar. Ewwww.

I contemplated this -- a major flaw on an expensive new instrument -- and decided that, even though it is an obvious manufacturer's flaw, I'd choose to pay to have the repairs done by my local luthier, whom I trust implicitly, rather than ship the guitar to Larrivee' for repair.

Anybody else experience such a problem?
LV Lover

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 11:45:48 PM »

I had it happen to a two week old LV-10 Cedar top custom shop model (which I waited over a year for...another long story).  Anyway, I contacted Matthew Larrivee at the California plant (which was just opened at the time).  He took back the guitar (also had a finish flaw and a too thick neck/fretboard) and had a new one made in less than three months.  So far (8 months), the bridge is still totally intact (but I keep her tuned down 1/2 step, just in case).  It seems that for the money, you get a lot from Larrivee, but sometimes the cost savings create annoying quality problems that should be caught at the factory.  Maybe they should look into the bridge lifting problem.  I've heard of at least two other people having the same problem!

Wiley Ibex

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 03:52:16 AM »

I received an e-mail from Matthew Larrivee' concerning my bridge. He asked that I call him about my bridge repair.

We discussed it, and the conclusion was that (1) a bridge pulling up was not that rare an occurrance (he said that of the 20 or so guitars in for repair at the moment, about 6 of them were in for this reason), and (2) I was probably making the right move to have my local luthier make the repair, as opposed to spending several weeks and $30-$40 shipping the guitar all the way to the left coast to have a $35.00 repair done under warranty.

I picked my guitar up from Billy -- my luthier -- today, and all is well. He not only did the bridge repair, he also adjusted/re-set the B-Band transducer located under the saddle, dressed the frets, treated the fretboard, and adjusted the playing height to my spec's, and in short, did a full set-up -- all for $100.00 and I got the guitar back in 3 working days. All is well, and I am now a happy boy.

I feel much better for the conversation with Matthew, and especially for the good folks at Larrivee' for the personal concern and attention. Good work guys; I'm back on the team.

Let me also hasten to put in a plug for my bud: If you are in need of a highly competent and professional luthier/guitar tech, please do not hesitate to contact Billy Gallant at Highland Guitar Repair in Birmingham, AL, at 205-254-3230. I won't let anybody else touch any of my guitars. I'll spare you the  excruciating details here, but Billy has done some fabulous work for me. He's truly one of the good guys...Tell him Paul Franklin sent you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: