Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Dead Flowers" lyrics change sacrilegious?  (Read 794 times)
Riverbend

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »

I've got a question for which I would appreciate some input:
I've been playing a local "jam" in the middle of our little tourist town. It's a Tuesday night tradition that's been going on for the past 15 summers, and I've just recently started playing again after many years, and I'm enjoying the heck out of this interaction and have been trying to resurrect, from the depths of my memory, some of the songs that I once knew. One happens to be a version of the Stones' great Dead Flowers. This park jam draws a fair amount of folks on lawn chairs and blankets, from 80+ years old to small children. So to my question: Would it be foolish to even consider trying to replace the "needle and spoon" lyrics for the sake of family-ing up the tune? And if so, what the heck could replace it? It would almost certainly slip right by most people and I'm really reluctant to take liberties with it. It's such a fun song to play and sing and twang up.
What say ye?

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »

Sing the song as written.  Let them figure it out
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »

I'd leave songs unless they are explicitly crass/vulgar for a
particular audience. You'd have to change the lyrics on a lot of tunes otherwise. I could see someone coming up to you annoyed you messed with "their song".

L-03 Italian Spruce
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:55:14 PM »

I've got a question for which I would appreciate some input:
I've been playing a local "jam" in the middle of our little tourist town. It's a Tuesday night tradition that's been going on for the past 15 summers, and I've just recently started playing again after many years, and I'm enjoying the heck out of this interaction and have been trying to resurrect, from the depths of my memory, some of the songs that I once knew. One happens to be a version of the Stones' great Dead Flowers. This park jam draws a fair amount of folks on lawn chairs and blankets, from 80+ years old to small children. So to my question: Would it be foolish to even consider trying to replace the "needle and spoon" lyrics for the sake of family-ing up the tune? And if so, what the heck could replace it? It would almost certainly slip right by most people and I'm really reluctant to take liberties with it. It's such a fun song to play and sing and twang up.
What say ye?

It is what it is as the younguns say these days. If you really feel the need to change it, however, how about I'll be in my basement room, still on the road to ruin. Kind of stays with the spirit of the original. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: