Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P90's Height Adjustment  (Read 4229 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

Looks great,did it solve the problem?

**** just a note you can also use pu springs on the screws which mount the pu to the body,or some surgicial rubber tubing.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
1esotericguy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 11:45:27 PM »

I like the sound better now.  So, I think it did do it.  I also lowered the bass side.  Not sure which thing did it. 
They still seem a little bit low output though.  That, I'm not that used to.  Sweet though
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 04:32:30 AM »

I've got a pair of Fralin P92's {split P90 pu in a humbucker casing}one is 6.7 Ohm's and the other is 7.3 Ohm's.The clarity and note separation is just amazing.I've never been a fan of pu's that read over 9 ohm's.They always either have a harsh midrangy tone or they sound muddy in the mids.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
1esotericguy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 03:24:55 AM »

**** just a note you can also use pu springs on the screws which mount the pu to the body,or some surgicial rubber tubing.

So I found some springs in my guitar parts & I changed the foam out for springs. Works even better now.
Same tonally, but functionally better.

Also changed to daddario xl pro steels. They're the brightest string daddario makes. Definitely sounds brighter than nickel xl strings.
1esotericguy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »

sorry to hijack this thread guys, i"m still waiting for my Schaller bridge to solve my same problem.

you can see that there is room to move the strings over, both for the sake of the pick up and for the neck.
The B and E string are lower in volume for obvious reasons....

OP here.  This is bugging me again on my RS4.  So maybe I didn't solve it.  I noticed I also have the same alignment issue on the high strings as you Headsup. 
Did you ever get your adjustable roller bridge?  Did it fix the volume drop? 

BTW, mine still might be more of a choked string than volume/alignment issue.  I'm going to bring it in to a shop and have them check the nut slot and the saddle for me.  Maybe it's a slightly high fret also.  No idea.  It's really subtle though.   
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 03:20:04 AM »

OP here.  This is bugging me again on my RS4.  So maybe I didn't solve it.  I noticed I also have the same alignment issue on the high strings as you Headsup. 
Did you ever get your adjustable roller bridge?  Did it fix the volume drop? 

BTW, mine still might be more of a choked string than volume/alignment issue.  I'm going to bring it in to a shop and have them check the nut slot and the saddle for me.  Maybe it's a slightly high fret also.  No idea.  It's really subtle though.   

Yes, like cybercanyon, the schaller roller bridge helped a great deal. That particular bridge allows you to adjust the saddles side to side, which helped a lot. I'm guessing the roller bridge that was installed at the factory was the problem, because of the bigsby intall.
 It took a while to get it right but that bridge was the first big fix, then adjusting the pole pices until I was happy with the balance of strings took a bit of work too.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 06:17:58 AM »

I just re-read this thread and still can't figure out if both the OP's and Headsup's guitars have bigsby's or not.  1esotericguy, you have the regular tunomatic bridge/stop tailpiece, correct?  Just trying to determine if the horizontal alignment issue in Headsup's pic is because of the bigsby modification to the original bridge configuration.  I think that is what you are saying Kevin, but am I right?  If one guitar has been modified to accomodate a bigsby and one has not been modified then we are comparing apples to oranges, no?

Anyways, reading all this made me paranoid and I had to go and check my own Forum V RS4.  For reference/comparison, mine has the Larrivee P-90s, and the standard Tone Pros bridge/tailpiece.  The only adjustment's I've made has been to tweak the heights of both pups.  On the neck pickup, all strings are more or less centered right on the pole pieces.  On the bridge pickup, they are not as accurately centered, but still pretty good.  They get more off-centered as you go from the centre to the outside E strings.  Not nearly as out of whack as Kevin's though.  His looks like all the strings are skewed to one side.

Kevin, from your pic, I wonder if the "sideways" neck to body alignment is out of whack somehow.  Bringing those two parts in better alignment would help in putting the strings over the pups.

Another thought.  Is it possible the pickup routes are just slightly out-of-square with the body or whatever part in the process they are supposed to be aligned with?  Just throwing out ideas.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »

I just re-read this thread and still can't figure out if both the OP's and Headsup's guitars have bigsby's or not.  1esotericguy, you have the regular tunomatic bridge/stop tailpiece, correct?  Just trying to determine if the horizontal alignment issue in Headsup's pic is because of the bigsby modification to the original bridge configuration.  I think that is what you are saying Kevin, but am I right?  If one guitar has been modified to accomodate a bigsby and one has not been modified then we are comparing apples to oranges, no?

Anyways, reading all this made me paranoid and I had to go and check my own Forum V RS4.  For reference/comparison, mine has the Larrivee P-90s, and the standard Tone Pros bridge/tailpiece.  The only adjustment's I've made has been to tweak the heights of both pups.  On the neck pickup, all strings are more or less centered right on the pole pieces.  On the bridge pickup, they are not as accurately centered, but still pretty good.  They get more off-centered as you go from the centre to the outside E strings.  Not nearly as out of whack as Kevin's though.  His looks like all the strings are skewed to one side.

Kevin, from your pic, I wonder if the "sideways" neck to body alignment is out of whack somehow.  Bringing those two parts in better alignment would help in putting the strings over the pups.

Another thought.  Is it possible the pickup routes are just slightly out-of-square with the body or whatever part in the process they are supposed to be aligned with?  Just throwing out ideas.

Hi, thanks for advice and concern. I'll put the pic of the guitar at the bottom of my reply, and you'll recognize it as a GOTM.
Yes to Bigsby, this was one of two made from the shop (according to Matt), and was built as a personal guitar by a tech who works there. When he installed the Bigsby, he used a very nice Schaller roller bridge, probably the only one that would fit the exact dimensions of the bridge posts.
Subsequently the problem arose as shown in the previous picture, and caused me a good deal of grief with the guitar, UNTIL I found the other Schaller bridge, which corrected the problem (other pic) and made me a happy camper.

Like over 50?

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »

I just re read this thread, I don't see BOTH pics I thought I posted, so here they are.
 before i swapped out the roller bridge, and after.
I might also add, I had to "pot" the pick-ups (dipping in hot wax), as there was a horrid high pitched screaming (especially on the treble pup).

Like over 50?

1esotericguy

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2013, 04:01:43 AM »

I just re-read this thread and still can't figure out if both the OP's and Headsup's guitars have bigsby's or not.  1esotericguy, you have the regular tunomatic bridge/stop tailpiece, correct?  

OP here. Yep - regular bridge and tailpiece.  Took the guitar to a tech. He took a stab at just adjusting the pickup and pole heights for me.  His adjustment was better than mine. More patient I guess.  Anyways, really evened things out.  
Still don't 100% like the attack of the high e string. A little too mellow for me.  May try some Gibson p90s.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »

Skip the Gibson's and get some Fralins a much better pu.You can call them and discuss what your looking for in a P90.Really great guy's to work with.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: