Larrivee Serial no's observation

Started by Zohn, June 08, 2013, 01:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your first impressions when seeing three neck-blocks for three different series guitars (03- , 09- , and 11- series) next to each other - are the serial numbers allocated at a central location and given through to the two facilities in Vancouver and Oxnard? Does that mean the guitars are serialized as they're ordered or is this a series of numbers allocated to a specific order for the custom shop? - oh and speaking of which - where is this custom shop, in Vancouver?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I don't know but that LSV-11 CUSTOM SHOP caught my eye.  I would imagine they build Customs in either shop as the need requires.
                                                 But of course I'm guessing.

As far as serial numbers, everyone knows that guitar makers love to confuse us :winkin:

Quote from: dependan on June 08, 2013, 06:04:17 AM
 I would imagine they build Customs in either shop as the need requires.
                                                 But of course I'm guessing.

Be my guess too
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I'm gonna guess, or hope John Jr., steps up to this one, (location).
The only guitar I have with this style of neck block is the African walnut cedar soundboard, (which was engraved using that machine i suspect).
The label is the older label with only Jean's signature, so it doesn't say which country.
there were only a few of this particular guitar made, and according to mike Kitchen, no production records.
(odd considering that information would have had to be programmed into the machine)
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Your guitar becomes  a Larrivee guitar on the day the neck is joined to a body. Until then, regardless of an SN on a neck block, it doesn't officially exist. That's my understanding anyway. 

Quote from: Zohn on June 08, 2013, 01:51:01 AM
What are your first impressions when seeing three neck-blocks for three different series guitars (03- , 09- , and 11- series) next to each other - are the serial numbers allocated at a central location and given through to the two facilities in Vancouver and Oxnard? Does that mean the guitars are serialized as they're ordered or is this a series of numbers allocated to a specific order for the custom shop? - oh and speaking of which - where is this custom shop, in Vancouver?

The serial number are consecutive with each factory taking a "block" of numbers, usually in groups of 1000. When those numbers are used a new block of numbers is taken. For example 120000-120999 is reserved for Vancouver, and 121000-121999 is reserved for Oxnard.

Each Shop has their own internal custom shop, managed by highly trained staff.

To add to what my brother said, each of our two shops has their own differences and production methods based on machinery available. In the Canadian shop we have a "Cutting" laser used for cutting parts repeatedly and accurately in high volume, whereas the laser in California is a lower power "engraving" laser with is meant for super fine detail at mid volume. The cutting style laser is very efficient but is more difficult to program, meaning that it would be impractical to laser the head blocks of the Canadian made guitars which are made in higher volume. We do plan to install a second engraving laser in Canada in the next few years.

Quote from: J M Larrivée on June 11, 2013, 06:29:45 PM
The serial number are consecutive with each factory taking a "block" of numbers, usually in groups of 1000. When those numbers are used a new block of numbers is taken. For example 120000-120999 is reserved for Vancouver, and 121000-121999 is reserved for Oxnard.

Each Shop has their own internal custom shop, managed by highly trained staff.

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on June 11, 2013, 08:59:44 PM
To add to what my brother said, each of our two shops has their own differences and production methods based on machinery available. In the Canadian shop we have a "Cutting" laser used for cutting parts repeatedly and accurately in high volume, whereas the laser in California is a lower power "engraving" laser with is meant for super fine detail at mid volume. The cutting style laser is very efficient but is more difficult to program, meaning that it would be impractical to laser the head blocks of the Canadian made guitars which are made in higher volume. We do plan to install a second engraving laser in Canada in the next few years.

:+1: Well there we have it - straight from the horses' mouths - thanx Johnny, Matt - this one on one communication is awesome and much appreciated!  
:donut :donut

So, for clarity - are the neck blocks thus made in Oxnard and the "03-blocks" shipped back to Vancouver?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Any head block you see that is lasered, it was laser in California.

My OM-10e is my first Larrivee to have the JCL lasered headblock. It does add a touch of  class to the guitar. :+1:

Hey Danny, how are you getting along with that OM10 ?...I bet it's a real pleasure to play .      :drool:
  I "only" have the OM03R, ( just been playing it for 90 minutes), and I really love everything about it.....I sort of admire it's capacity to sound like a ringing bell at the top, and yet sound like a lovely "wooden" musical  instrument  at the bottom end.
Don't know if your 10 series retains that sort of woody naivety towards the bottom end that suits so many pieces of soft music.....but if that's what you like to hear, I hope it does !.......if not, I hope it doesn't !

Funnily enough, my little P05 has much more of a " electric piano" sound ( which I'm not so very keen on ), than it's big brother,     but then again,  they both have their own place and best suited music.

All the best David    :thumbsup

Quote from: YOUNG AT HEART on June 12, 2013, 06:02:13 AM
Hey Danny, how are you getting along with that OM10 ?...I bet it's a real pleasure to play .      :drool:
 I "only" have the OM03R, ( just been playing it for 90 minutes), and I really love everything about it.....I sort of admire it's capacity to sound like a ringing bell at the top, and yet sound like a lovely "wooden" musical  instrument  at the bottom end.
Don't know if your 10 series retains that sort of woody naivety towards the bottom end that suits so many pieces of soft music.....but if that's what you like to hear, I hope it does !.......if not, I hope it doesn't !

Funnily enough, my little P05 has much more of a " electric piano" sound ( which I'm not so very keen on ), than it's big brother,     but then again,  they both have their own place and best suited music.

All the best David    :thumbsup
Hi David, in a sense this is the wrong thread to ask this question on. But we are a rather casual forum, so I'll answer here.

This is my 13th or 14th Larrivee, I really have lost count now. I knew when I purchased a 10 series it would need time to open up. But I have played a 10 series that floored me in Vancouver once. And having owned several gloss models from Larrivee I understand that they are dampened a bit from the box, compared to their satin cousins.
    Knowing this helped me to understand the dynamics involved with this beautiful guitar. You would have to spend over 2K more in another brand made in America to approach this level of quality. The bracing, added to the the finish has a limiting effect on the "monster tone" some expect and want from a guitar of this caliber. It's not what I want or expect.
     But I got exactly what "I" wanted, just as I did when I acquired my LSV-11. I don't live by others rules and I don't buy my guitars by their guidelines.
     Larrivee won me over many moons ago, and though I have my Gibsons etc. Larrivee gets most of my playing time.

Besides I have one of the best Larrivees ever made in My Forum III #1. So if I want a fully open Larrivee all I need do is open a case or pull it off the wall and go to pickin :winkin:

Dontcha just LOVE when Matt & John Jr step up to the plate?
Thanks gents. :cheers
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on June 12, 2013, 08:41:49 PM
Dontcha just LOVE when Matt & John Jr step up to the plate?
Thanks gents. :cheers

I think that's what separates this family business from any other guitar company - also, this forum is an unique family forum - ok maybe it's just me but this place is like home - I no longer have a Larrivee (hopefully for not too long) but I still come by here daily - simply awesome!
:donut :donut  :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut to ya'awl!!
:smile: