Question on Bakersfield Bridge pup ... sound

Started by tulk1, June 04, 2013, 07:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In my quest to find the perfect Bakersfield I happened to have a discussion with some other Tele players concerning the Broadcaster pickup. Isn't that what's in the bridge of the Bakersfield? (we need an acronym or nickname for the Bakersfield - BField?) One suggested the Broadcaster (we need a nickname for ... nevermind), anyway, he suggested the BCaster pup is rather bright sounding. Never having heard one before, I'm curious. I've had several Tele's over the years. Sold all of them. First because I wasn't a good enough player to wrestle them into behaving. I'm much better at that now. Even sold the G&L Special, which I wish I hadn't. It was a dandy. But mostly sold them because I couldn't come to terms with the bridge pickup.

Is there someway to describe the tone of the Broadcaster style pickup? Surely someone here can put musical tones into words, can't they? Is that asking too much?  :rolleye: Wouldn't mind an opinion on how it reacts to a maple board as opposed to a rosewood board. And just an FYI, I've nearly always been able to handle the neck pickup. And since it'd be either one of Matt's own designs or an SD he approved, I'm sure the neck will be fine; mini-hum or single coil.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Having played a few original Broadcaster they have all been very bright,bright enough to shave the hair off the back of a monkey.I have been a tele player for 40 years now and mostley play the neck pu and only adding the bridge when I want to step out.As for Matthew's Bakersfield I can say that its much more musical then other bridge pu's and is now installed in my Bigsbyed MIDI guitar and its the only pu  now.With the right tone cap I can pretty much get all I need with just the one.Matthew's pu is smoother more balance sounding with really great note separation.I'm not sure if this will help but its all I got.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks, Unk. Lordy, if I could just hear one first. That's got me second guessing, now. What value did you go on the cap?
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

I use a .333 which most people use on a bass.Each is different so sometime's you go thru a few to find the right one.As for the pu I was and am a fan of the Fralin stuff and had settled on an SP modal which is a P90 in tele clothing.I have never been a fan of tele bridge pu's and this is the first and only time I have a tele that has just a bridge pu and the tonal varity I get from it is truly amazing.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Was just thinking along the same lines. If for whatever reason i didn't like the pickup the guitar has the quick change system. And there are tons of pups to try. :)
Kenny

I've NEVER been able to "tame" a tele bridge pup.
even in my 59 esquire (long gone).
of my 3 "teles" NONE have a stock fender pup.
one has a Seymour Duncan HB, another has Shaller double rail, and the 3rd has a Larrivee p-90.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...