Check out this Explorer style Larrivee

Started by 1esotericguy, May 31, 2013, 07:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This isn't my listing.  Don't know the person at all.  I just always keep my eye on Explorers and this one popped up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Rare-1980s-Larrivee-Explorer-Neck-Through-/111085010668?pt=Guitar&hash=item19dd2ebeec

I'm very suspicious...

I don't see a Larrivee logo anywhere on the guitar...what's up with that?

I'd love to hear Matthew's opinion on this...

:?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Well, Mikeymac, I had the same exact thought.    I'm not an expert early Larrivee electrics  but I have to say I've never heard of or seen anything like this before.   I'm willing to accept that there may have been a special build and this is one of a rare breed that's never been mentioned here before.  But, in the absence of any identifying name on the headstock I have to be suspicious and would love to see some verification.    

Having said that, if it's authentic I need to know if they built any lefties    :bgrin:   It's pretty cool

I too am suspicious.  It has a rosewood fret board when it should be ebony.  It has a Kramer banana headstock.  The listing says Koa and it doesn't look koa.  I asked questions about its identity and the seller has not responded.   I guess it could be a prototype, Larrivee did make a small number of Kramers.  I think it is a kramer not a Larrivee. 
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

If it's a Larrivee Kramer, it should have a specific serial number?

Quote from: Daves not here on June 01, 2013, 10:46:20 AM
If it's a Larrivee Kramer, it should have a specific serial number?

You would think so, however not all Larrivee made guitars have serial numbers.  A very few every now and then have no serial number, the wrong serial number or its hidden / obscured.  It seems to happen mostly to the earlier prototype / pre-production guitars.
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

Well the auction is over and it didn't sell.
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

Hello all from Scotland :)

I've just bought the exact same guitar as above. It's black with no serial number. It's a quality guitar with abalone inlays in the dots and on the top of the neck. 24 frets and everything points to this being made in Vancouver in the mid 80's. The guy I bought it from bought it in Canada 2004 from a friend who told him it was a custom. I'd love to know what it is... I have photos but unsure how to post them :(

Any info appreciated..

Dave

Edit: It had a yamaha truss rod cover but the only Yammy explorer I found was nothing like mine.