Peter Rowan, "Doc Watson Morning, D-18 Pickin' Day"

Started by Riverbend, May 30, 2013, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm fortunate to have Sirius radio in one of our vehicles, and riding down the road yesterday listening to channel 61, Bluegrass Junction, I caught a really interesting segment with Peter Rowan and one of his songs, titled "Doc Watson Morning, D-18 Pickin' Day", followed by an interview with Peter in which he talked about his friendship with Doc and some great history. Great stuff, plus some of his comments about song titles and the process itself of choosing titles made for great listening.
Anyway, Peter Rowan's website is www.peter-rowan.com
He's still pretty active and just the names of his bands are worth a look. I especially liked "The Free Mexican Airforce"!     
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

He's going to be here in a bout a month, coast of NC. Looking forward to seeing him. I've always loved him weather bluegrass or country rock.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I'd bet his live shows are great. He seems to only play the coasts lately, like N.C. & CA. I've been a fan of his since his Old and in the Way days when I first heard of him. Enjoy the show!
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Did you ever see him with one of the greatest bands ever...Mule Skinner? The seeds of Old and in the Way came from them. Grisman and Rowan started talking about it then. Clarence White was going to play with them as well but he got killed that summer. Anyway..Rowan does Land of the Navajo on here, (3rd song) he had just written it. For a DVD of the show see Sierra records. John Delgato is the keeper of all things Clarence White. The DVD of Clarence on the "Baxter" workshoppe is a great place to see Clarence's hand up close.

Muleskinner  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv6odkrGg4s

Sierra records  lots of early hard to find country rock and dirt cheap most of them   http://sierrarecords.goestores.com/

Thanks for the links flatlander :cheers. I've been a fan since back in the late 70's, which then led me back in time to some earlier stuff, including the time he spent with Bill Monroe. Quite the body of work. 
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

I just found out recently that he started out playing blues, in Boston. That was in the book about Al Wilson from Canned Heat. So he had a link to rock before Bluegrass. I just love his voice and writing.