"Space Parlor" sells like Space Cakes

Started by Zohn, May 26, 2013, 06:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/679448/vancouver-made-guitar-featured-in-chris-hadfield-video-selling-like-space-cakes/

QuoteSales of a discontinued Vancouver-made guitar have skyrocketed since astronaut Chris Hadfield released a music video on May 12 of himself playing a rendition of David Bowie's Space Oddity on the International Space Station (ISS).

QuoteBy now, more than 14 million people have watched the YouTube video of the Canadian commander playing the Larrivee parlour guitar while sitting in a tin can high above the world.

NASA purchased two of the three-quarter size guitars more than a decade ago because of their compact size, but they were later discontinued. In response to a surge of interest in the P-01 model Hadfield plays in the video, the company has released a commemorative edition, and has already done $100,000 in sales.

Now that Chris Hadfield's back home, what next?
"It makes us so proud," said Matthew Larrivee, one of the company's general managers, whose father, Jean Larrivee, founded the business in Toronto in 1967.

"Chris has just been such a great ambassador for guitar and for space. He's making space cool again, and that is so cool."

Before his last mission, Hadfield took a tour of Larrivee's Vancouver headquarters, and explained why NASA bought the guitars.

"When you're a long way from home, when you've left the planet, it's really important not just to take care of all the technical stuff, but you've got to take care of the people and the psychological side," Hadfield said.

"We have psych support people in Houston, and they realized that music is one of the things that's really fundamental to people, so they were looking for a guitar to put on the Space Station."

Hadfield estimates the Larrivee guitar has been around the world more than 50,000 times. The other one NASA bought stays on the ground as a physical record.

"Heck of a round-the-world tour," Hadfield quipped.

The re-issued ISS Commemorative Edition of NASA's guitar retails for $1,200, and Larrivee said orders have been pouring in from around the world, particularly the U.S. and the U.K.

"I'm a huge, huge fan of the Space Program, and particularly the Shuttle Program, and so for me I went wild with it," Larrivee said of learning several years ago that his family's guitar had been launched into orbit.

"As a guitar maker, I just look at it and go, 'boy that is so neat I have a guitar on the Space Station.'"
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

far out...
Larrivée OM-03R
Simon & Patrick Pro Rosewood dread
Taylor GS mini Mahogany
Fender American Tele w/Bbender

Your guitar is not really a guitar.
Your guitar is a divining rod. Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them over.
Captain Beefheart

Way to go NASA, Hadfield and Larrivée.  

Who would have known that NASA's decision to buy these Parlors long ago and Hadfield's great performance and hipster 'stache and great video production and YouTube and the internet would be the things to launch Larrivée's brand to the moon?  Oh, wait, I guess it makes sense sort of.

Anyhow - stellar - literally!

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Hi folks,

I'm a new member and brand-new owner of a 1998 Larrivée L-03W. Some of you may also know me as a freelancer at Forbes who wrote one of the many articles about the P-01 Chris Hadfield played on the ISS.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkroll/2013/05/13/iss-commander-chris-hadfield-plays-a-canadian-larrivee-guitar-on-space-oddity/

According to the new member FAQ, I understand that I'm expected to provide donuts as a newbie. However, I see that over 11,000 members are registered here. So, my best attempt is this picture of the first load of 96,000 Krispy Kreme glazed donuts given out at a fundraising road race we have in Raleigh, NC each year (run 2.5 mi, eat 12 donuts, run 2.5 mi back).

https://twitter.com/TCampione/status/300240994899734529/photo/1

I've been stalking the forums over the last year or two and have been really impressed with the level of discourse here and the intense admiration for fine, hand-crafted guitars. Hoping that I can contribute something of value in the coming months.

Enjoy the donuts!

David

Welcome David!  :coffee

Great article.

Please link some pics of your L-03W when you have time.

hope the donuts were for after the race
Larrivée OM-03R
Taylor GS mini Mahogany

Your guitar is a divining rod. Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them over.
Captain Beefheart

Quote from: cmcox on May 29, 2013, 08:12:15 AM
hope the donuts were for after the race

Nonsense. Everyone knows that donuts are an important part of every athlete's training regimen:
http://vimeo.com/46513050

:laughin:

Quote from: kroll001 on May 28, 2013, 09:00:16 PM
Hi folks,

I'm a new member and brand-new owner of a 1998 Larrivée L-03W. Some of you may also know me as a freelancer at Forbes who wrote one of the many articles about the P-01 Chris Hadfield played on the ISS.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkroll/2013/05/13/iss-commander-chris-hadfield-plays-a-canadian-larrivee-guitar-on-space-oddity/

According to the new member FAQ, I understand that I'm expected to provide donuts as a newbie. However, I see that over 11,000 members are registered here. So, my best attempt is this picture of the first load of 96,000 Krispy Kreme glazed donuts given out at a fundraising road race we have in Raleigh, NC each year (run 2.5 mi, eat 12 donuts, run 2.5 mi back).

https://twitter.com/TCampione/status/300240994899734529/photo/1

I've been stalking the forums over the last year or two and have been really impressed with the level of discourse here and the intense admiration for fine, hand-crafted guitars. Hoping that I can contribute something of value in the coming months.

Enjoy the donuts!

David

:welcome:  Glad to have you aboard the "S.S. Loonie Bin"  :ohmy:

Quote from: JamesN on May 29, 2013, 08:44:33 AM
Nonsense. Everyone knows that donuts are an important part of every athlete's training regimen:

Proof :donut

Quote from: JamesN on May 29, 2013, 08:44:33 AM

Of course, once you add a cigarette to your training regimen, that changes everything. :bgrin:
Larrivée OM-03R
Taylor GS mini Mahogany

Captain Beefheart

Very cool...
Tom:

Peace and LONG LIVE THE BLUES...

2011 Larrivee Wildwood Custom Dv03re
1994 Fender Stratocaster
1964 Fender Duo Sonic ll
2009 Highland Royal Deluxe
Line 6 flextone original model
Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier
Vox Pathfinder 15r

So, where do I get my Space Cakes?
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Quote from: dberch on May 29, 2013, 01:31:02 PM
So, where do I get my Space Cakes?

they are available on the International Space Station, fresh every morning :donut
Larrivée OM-03R
Taylor GS mini Mahogany

Captain Beefheart

Quote from: cmcox on May 30, 2013, 01:05:49 PM
they are available on the International Space Station, fresh every morning :donut

Hmmm I dunno but 'space cakes' makes me think more of something from the ISS latrine.....  :ohmy:

But it sure does sound like they are selling well. I asked at our local Long and McQuade and they had a listing for
a P01 in the system. Didn't say it was the replica though and price was around $1049 cdn.

Vancouver is doing a limited run of P-01 ISS guitars, delivery to dealers around September 1

Last night on a gig, I guy came up to me and commented on how lovely my guitar sounded, (typical).
He asked if it was a martin, I replied, "No it's a larrivee", to which he replied, "Oh the Chris Hadfield guitar!"
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...