I'd appreciate some church song suggestions

Started by Riverbend, May 09, 2013, 01:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey Riverbend! Check out Brandon Heath's new album. It's titled Blue Mountain and has some great music. It has some country/bluegrass sound and some contemporary stuff too.

You can't go wrong with Chris Tomlin, David Crowder, Matt Redman, or Hillsong United.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Well, I did record a six minute video showing how to play a song for you to check out. But I don't have the skill to upload it to youtube or facebook. I'll have to figure something else out or get someone to help me.
   I did the recording using my Galaxy Tab II, not the best way I know, but good enough to show how to play and sing the tune.
   I won't forget you, I have at least three to send your way. Of course you are welcome to drop by and we can jam together for a while. You won't even need to bring a guitar, I have plenty of those. :blush:

modified: I'm uploading the video to Picassa and then it may be able to be put on youtube.

Thanks Danny...looking forward to it! Good luck with the upload.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Well, if you think hymns are mournful and pilgrim, the you have not heard this:  Zac Hicks Without Our Aid

You owe it to yourself to listen to the tracks on the website, then get the album.  You won't regret it.

@ LawDog...it's not uncommon to have music/words by dates like 1677, or 1784, beneath some of the hymns in our hymnal. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Here is a link that may work. It's to my google+ sharing of my first video. If the word "God" offends you, or bad singing, then I suggest you don't check out this video. :blush:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113823698280072959595/posts/X44rPFGjaDg

Riverbend; I'll PM you the entire hymn's verses if you decide this is something you can work with.

Hey Danny...that was awesome! Easy to tell that it comes straight from the heart, too, and those songs are usually the most difficult to complete, eh? Anyway, thank you for sharing and I'm pretty excited to learn it. I've got satellite internet and the Fair Access Policy (not much more than the provider trying to squeeze more money out of us for more download capacity!) and it really limits my ability to download music. I think I was able to get this dl'ed and be able to work on it from my harddrive. If you get a chance, could you pm me the lyrics? Really really pretty melody and lyrics! Minor chords are so expressive that way.
And about those songs from the heart...I've got one of those I've been working on for two years. We lost a son in a car accident two years ago last October...19 yrs old and just a great kid. I wasn't really trying to write a song as a result, it's just one of those melodies that you stumble on and refine and it gets in your head kind of things, and then a few "ideas" started leaking out. I've been stuck on lyrics for a few months though and really only have a chorus still wants to move around on me. I'll see if I can figure out some way to record it sometime.
Thanks again for sharing!
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Glad you can work with it. Regarding your loss, I have another melody and words that may help you express your hearts saddness. Its called "Shadows in the sky" I sang a version of it at my step dads funeral. One of my sisters got so choked up she stood up and held me while I was still playing.

I'd appreciate hearing that one, too. The one I've been working on is more of a confirmation of faith, kinda sorta. Not just aimed at our own loss, but yet it is, but with the "intention" of sharing a belief in Heaven. Faith is such a beautiful and powerful thing...certainly helped us along and continues to do so every day. 
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

"Shadows" is unfinished and maybe it always will be. Here's a few lines.

Life's a mystery
Time in Eternity

It's not just about sadness and feelings. At least not to me when I play it. But everytime I play it I add a new verse or change one or two.

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on May 16, 2013, 09:49:49 PM
Well, if you think hymns are mournful and pilgrim, the you have not heard this:  Zac Hicks Without Our Aid

You owe it to yourself to listen to the tracks on the website, then get the album.  You won't regret it.

I'm not able to stream the songs, but I really like Zac's articles on how he selects songs for congregational worship time.  In fact, in a PM to the thread OP, I wrote similar stuff.  I'm looking forward to streaming the album.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud