Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "sharing" Another Tune...any Thoughts?  (Read 1234 times)
robertt8

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2005, 04:12:36 PM »

Anyone Mind "SHARING" Their Thoughts On This Tune?

**Before I start with this, I've got to preface this with saying...the strange beginning to the song is supposed to be like that.**

Okay, here's song 3 of 4 for our gigging demo (so you guys will get a breather soon from my recent frequent posts). This song had the least work for the guy in our band to do as all but the drummer were on this tune for the original take. Since we added the drummer, I think it sounds quite a bit different because he's drumming with a completely different beat than what I had originally. Personally, I like this one better.

Please let me know what you think about the mix, levels, and mostly the drum sounds. I think i've got the snare hits a bit louder on this one, so let me know what you think.

URL: http://www.bagoftoysmusic.com/music.html
SONG: 05. Share.mp3 (new/reworked)

(by the way, the original can still be heard at http://www.bagoftoysmusic.com/05_share.mp3_old.mp3 )

If anyone cares, here's the gear I used...
=================================
Mics: Studio Projects C1 and B1...Audio Technica Pro25 (only on bass drum)
Pre-Amp: M-Audio Audio Buddy
Outboard Compressor: Behringer Ultra Dyne Pro
Recorder: Roland VS-880EX
Guitars: Big Baby Taylor (main rhythm), Larrivee LV-03E (leads)
Bass: Modulous
Bass DI: Behrninger Bass V-Amp
Drums: Whatever that his set is...just bass, snare, high-hat, 1 tom, 1 cymbal

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Robert Tait

robertt8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 07:30:40 PM »

no comments on this puppy huh?

Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 07:42:51 AM »

Well...., I am no expert, not even a good guitar player (I try lol  afro ), and I dont have headphones.  I do have a few musical cell, and I was picking out ppl that were off key even a tiny bit on American Idol (Simon agrees lol) But this is what I think on the instrument side.  ;)

I'll just get to the point and pick out a few points I found.  I dont mean to be critical or anything, just giving you the simple lowdown.  The tune of the song I think is pretty good actually, else I wont say anything at all.

Your rythm guitar is too trebly, and much too punchy, it's cutting too much (into your reggae like rhythm).  Try to use the LV-03 for your rhythm guitar too,  or try a jazz humbucker clean at the neck position which is so much warmer.  You may also consider deleting the few crashing kind of beats at the beginning before all the other stuff kicks in (they are rather awkward.  Definitely add some more notes between just the few cords (they are too empty and too much, and confuse between reggae and rock like feel), I dunno, try some arpeggios or something at the beginiine.  Fact is I think you should only switch to strumming only you start to put in all the other effects.  Have like a pick up lick or something.

Voice wise, it lacks a bit of sincerity I feel.  I dont know if it is just because the rhythm guitar accenting the punchiness, but it feels like your trying to sound like a particular sound too much and low on naturalness.  If your voice is what I imagine it to be, you might consider a smoother approach, and project it from your own belly.  I do think your natural voice is actually very modern and great.  I think you should listen to a track or 2 by say Dave Matthews.  He's strong point is he's transition between his words, very smooth.

But I definitely think this song has potential.  Looking forward to another revision.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 07:48:29 AM »

If you insist on making the begining like that, that I would still think you should remove the crashing beat effects, and use a warmer guitar for strumming.

And if you want to make a point that this is a strange beginning you might consider adding a few lyrics before even the strumming so the audience knows your intention, instead of being hit with a trebley and punchy 1/2 beat cords off the stop.

my 2 cents.  Sorry if I sound critical, but I think I just cut down on the bs and give you what I think you can change.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 06:26:34 PM »

NEEDS MORE COWBELL.

Seriously, I like the song, and it's got potential.

The only thing I'll say, not being a critic, is that I'd like to hear this after about a couple years of playing and fiddling with it....polished, etc. It's good material!

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
robertt8

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 08:06:12 PM »

CALVIN: Good Lord man! You might actually give Simon Cowell a run for his money! I was looking for some feedback but whoa... A lot of the comments sound like you want to completely change the sound that we've got going here...not that i mind the thoughts, but we're pretty Okay with the way it came out. We feel there are some things that could definitely be better or different, but we don't want to Phil Spector any of our songs into something that they're not.

GIGGLER: Now we're talkin'! More cowbell is always a good suggestion!  :lol:  

Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 04:09:08 AM »

Robert I dont want you to be offended or anything lol.  I am just being straight forward lol.

Like I said, I do really think the song has potential.  Else I'd be like "nice song" lol.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print