Recommend me a mandolin

Started by MPrice, April 21, 2013, 07:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey there, can you guys recommend me a mandolin for a beginner? I won't be able to spend 1500 bucks on anything nice, but a couple hundred would be fine. Used is preferred. Chinese if I have too. Cheers  :laughin:
D-50 Cedar Top
00-60
Kay Archtop that is in no way a joy to play

My friend has this mandolin and its great:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/washburn-m118sw-f-style-mandolin

If that's too pricey, then eastman and the loar make very nice beginner instruments for under the 500 dollar price point.

Also, check out mandolin cafe. They have a classifieds section that has lots of instruments!

I bought a 100 dollar cheapo to learn on and it is almost unplayable so don't make the same mistake I did! Good luck.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Good start. Thanks guys :coffee
D-50 Cedar Top
00-60
Kay Archtop that is in no way a joy to play

Be sure to check out those Big Muddy's. 

http://bigmuddymandolin.com/

Made down in Missouri the old fashion way.  By hand. 
They aren't carved tops so if that is what you are looking for they may not be for you.
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Quote from: Tuba Mike on April 22, 2013, 12:01:09 PM
Be sure to check out those Big Muddy's. 

http://bigmuddymandolin.com/

Made down in Missouri the old fashion way.  By hand. 
They aren't carved tops so if that is what you are looking for they may not be for you.

:+1:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

No complaints on my Ovation MCS 148 mando. The intonation is great, it's tough as nails, comes with a pick-up and a really nice case. Got mine used for under $400.00. I took 20 plus years off from playing and it's been a good one to work on again. Plus it beat the heck out of anything I could find in it's price range. Of course, I'd love to get my hands on a Larrivee mandolin someday! I've never even seen one in my neck of the woods. 
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 21, 2013, 07:37:23 PM
Kentucky's are pretty good.

My "significant other" has a Kentucky that she's been learning on and I think quite highly of the brand.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on April 23, 2013, 10:05:03 PM

My "significant other" has a Kentucky that she's been learning on and I think quite highly of the brand.

I have the higher end KM-900 and it's really nice. Light, loud and also very sensitive to a light touch. I think it compares well to classic mandos and much more expensive instruments.   

http://www.folkmusician.com/Kentucky-KM-900-Mandolin-Master-Model/productinfo/KM-900/

Just saw an A style for $225 on craigs list with a case on the Tallahassee CL.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Played a nice Goldtone A style with an oval soundhole,I think is was around $400.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hi MPrice,

I've played some pretty nice Eastman's that would be in your price range. Some are better than others inside of a given model. It's best if you can demo it yourself.

The couple Kentuckys I've played were good deals, too.

I'm sure you have found, but in case you haven't, check the classified section over at the Mandolin Cafe. Not trying to steer anbody away from this website, it is just their bailiwick.

Also, talk with Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store. He'll be very helpful and can demo instruments for you over the phone (NFI).
Robert

Larrivee O-50  no longer mine
Collings OM2H
Collings 001Mh
Alvarez Yairi DY87 (Doubleneck)
Northfield "S" Series Custom mandolin
Gibson Les Paul Standard
G&L ASAT (Tele)

Recommend "me" a mando........sheesh

Quote from: Walkerman on June 04, 2013, 08:05:19 AM
Recommend "me" a mando........sheesh
But you already have nice mandolins. Why would "you" need another recommendation?

Quote from: dependan on June 05, 2013, 09:40:39 AM
But you already have nice mandolins. Why would "you" need another recommendation?

It's like when John Kerry went to the hunting store in Wisconsin, and said in huskiest voice..."Where can I get me a hunting license"

I believe the correct question would have been..."Where can I get a hunting license?"

This post should at least include a mandolin so I like this EASTMAN MD315 "CLASSIC" MANDOLIN & GIGBAG.
I played one late last year and found it to be quite delightful.

Beautiful Collings, Walkerman!

I've always liked these breedloves:

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Holy guacamole Walkerman!

You have that new 32nd anniversary AND this drool worthy Collings? The sun is definitely shining in your back door. Nice! I currently have a Weber but am looking at upgrading in the not too distant future and an MF or MF5 are on my short list.

I'll ditto the sentiments on the Breedloves. My first "good" mandolin was a Breedlove KO. They're well built and good sounding. Many converts from guitar feel they are a good transition with their wider neck and larger frets.
Robert

Larrivee O-50  no longer mine
Collings OM2H
Collings 001Mh
Alvarez Yairi DY87 (Doubleneck)
Northfield "S" Series Custom mandolin
Gibson Les Paul Standard
G&L ASAT (Tele)

Okay, I'll play.

I've got a really old Mayflower "potato bug" mandolin that I picked up in a backwater banjo shop many years ago. I've tried to research it's origins, dates, etc. without much success. I've seen similar models that date back to the early 1900s.

It's not much of a player -- frets are hair thin. But it's fun to plunk on every now and then.