Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strap button right placement  (Read 1854 times)
agemaia

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »

Hi friends,

I've just read a little bit about placing strap button at the heal, and it seems that placing it at the side of the heal brings more security than at the heal cap, although for some players it's more uncomfortable when playing high frets near the heal area. But I'd like to know if there is some right point to put it at the side (I mean, is it better near the heal cap or near the fretboard?) just concerning the neck and body assembly technique.

(My guitar is an OM 03e).

Thanks for your attention.

Regards.

Greetings from Spain.
---
Larrivée OM03E
Seagull Coastline S12 Cedar
Takamine 132SC
Alhambra 5P CT E2
giff06

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »

I have them in both places on instruments I play on a regular basis. I find the heel cap placement more comfortable. The other thing is if you decide to sell the guitar and the buyer doesn't like the strap button, the heel cap is an easier fix than a hole in the neck. IMHO.
Ed
brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »

Î feel more comfortable with mine on the underside of the heel. I have all mine at dead center or there abouts.

I have an Alvarez that has it on the heel cap and it doesn't feel bad but just not as secure.

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
agemaia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »

Thank you very much.

I put the button in the heel cap in my two nylon string guitars. In my 12 strings acoustic the manufacturer advices the right point (with exact meassures and not in the cap) because of their technique in assembling neck and body with internal items.

I think I'll put the button on the underside of the heel in my OM...

Regards.

Greetings from Spain.
---
Larrivée OM03E
Seagull Coastline S12 Cedar
Takamine 132SC
Alhambra 5P CT E2
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 02:21:31 PM »

From the Larrivee website found here.

Where should I install a strap button?

There are two places to install a strap button on a Larrivée guitar. The two choices are on the heel cap or is the passenger side of the heel itself. We currently recommend that the strap be added to the side of the heel. One caution: Be sure to pre-drill the strap button hole. Simply screwing in the strap button may cause the wood to split. There is no need to worry about running into metal bolts when drilling the hole. Larrivée guitars use a dovetail joint. There's nothing in there but wood. You may also want to consider tying the end of the strap at the headstock just past the nut. This used to be a standard practice, and I'm not sure why it has fallen out of favor. Personally, I prefer the way the guitar hangs when the strap is so attached. It pulls the neck a bit closer to the player's body.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »

From the Larrivee website found here.

Where should I install a strap button?

There are two places to install a strap button on a Larrivée guitar. The two choices are on the heel cap or is the passenger side of the heel itself. We currently recommend that the strap be added to the side of the heel. One caution: Be sure to pre-drill the strap button hole. Simply screwing in the strap button may cause the wood to split. There is no need to worry about running into metal bolts when drilling the hole. Larrivée guitars use a dovetail joint. There's nothing in there but wood. You may also want to consider tying the end of the strap at the headstock just past the nut. This used to be a standard practice, and I'm not sure why it has fallen out of favor. Personally, I prefer the way the guitar hangs when the strap is so attached. It pulls the neck a bit closer to the player's body.

+1

Though for myself I prefer the heel cap.If you decide to remove the button a new piece of plastic can be bought.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »

The "right" place is tied at the headstock. The other is an affectation from electric guitars.  whistling

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »

I don't like the heel cap because the guitar tends to want to fall forward when the strap button is there - drives me nuts.  Side of the heel about middle is right for me.  Headstock?  No way - the guitar tuning is affected so that when you take the stress off the neck (e.g. sitting down) the guitar goes a little out of tune - also drives me nuts.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »

No stress on the neck when you tie off there nor does it effect tuning. Just sayin....

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »

No stress on the neck when you tie off there nor does it effect tuning. Just sayin....

In my experience it does affect tuning - I wasn't just guessing at that.  The laws of physics must be obeyed.  A rigid guitar will fair better than a lightly constructed one, so as usual YMMV.  How you hold the guitar might also be a factor.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 09:15:08 PM »

I agree. NEVER heard or heard of a problem.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »

I agree. NEVER heard or heard of a problem.

Well, now you have heard of it.  

Also...
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/acoustic-heaven/305259-tuning-problem-vintage-strap-headstock.html
http://www.musicademy.com/2012/03/reasons-why-your-guitar-wont-stay-in-tune/ (see #6)

Shall I go on?

Not saying everyone has the problem.  If you tune while standing you'll be fine, but if you tune while sitting and then stand up it might be out a little.  It certainly isn't rare.  You're both in denial!

Gord

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »

GGBB alls cool.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
betaplay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »

I can't comment on the heel cap location personally, but I just posted pictures of my side heel install that I've always been happy with: http://imgur.com/a/TH3UE 

I too am very weary about the guitar leaning forward and popping off the button, especially for a thick leather strap. It's happened far too many times with other instruments for me to not be paranoid.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 02:37:13 AM »

I don't like the heel cap because the guitar tends to want to fall forward when the strap button is there - drives me nuts.  Side of the heel about middle is right for me.  Headstock?  No way - the guitar tuning is affected so that when you take the stress off the neck (e.g. sitting down) the guitar goes a little out of tune - also drives me nuts.

I'm  in this camp. The main reason is the the strap and guitar are more secure. With the strap coming around from the bottom, it's snugged up good on button and pulling towards guitar and not tugging towards coming off button. Also for me allows guitar to fall in more natural position. My goal is to have guitar be about where it would be if I were sitting. If I need to adjust strap, I sit and put guitar where I want it, then adjust strap to that point.
 I wouldn't use the words  "right" or "wrong" but having on the headstock does not put guitar in natural place for me. Then the biggie, it gets in my left hands space. For those reasons I never have it tied to neck so I can't really personally attest to it knocking out of tune, but I always just assumed it would put undo pressure on neck.
 Definitely more secure to put button on bottom side of neck though than heel cap. If you've even seen one pull off, not good.
  I always just out of instinct, have one hand or the other ready to grab guitar if it were to slip out. Only takes once. It makes my cringe to see someone relying complete on strap while they walk around or something. Makes in insane to see someone put guitar behind back where they have no chance to catch should it slip.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 04:50:30 AM »

I'm in your camp too, Flatlander, and for the same reasons.  On any guitar I've obtained that had the button on the heel cap, one of the first things I've done is move it to the "underside" of the heel.  Another couple of reasons I don't like them on the heel cap is I believe if the guitar were to fall hard onto the button it could split the cap or the heel itself.  Secondly in some types of cases with certain guitars, the instrument won't sit flatly on its back in the case but will rest on the button instead.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »

Makes in insane to see someone put guitar behind back where they have no chance to catch should it slip.

I had this happen to me when I was a teen!  I was a counselor at summer camp, and one evening at campfire, after the singing was done, while the entire camp was quietly listening to the camp director speak, my trusty Takamine F-349 was hanging ever so coolly over my back.  Cowboy hat, cowboy jeans, cowboy guitar silhouetted against the dusky twilight sky.  Did I mention how cool I looked?  Until the bottom peg slipped out and the guitar plummeted headstock first like an arrow toward the dirt ground and landed with a loud BONG! and several more lesser bongs as it tumbled to a rest.  So much for cool.  I never tried that again.  Amazingly, other than a scuff on the top of the headstock, the Tak was fine.  That thing had a baseball bat for a neck and was build to last.

Gord

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »

There is a strap available that is more like a guitar harness, we talked about this before. It is made by a fellow in Arkansas I believe and takes all the stress off the neck while holding the guitar extremely safe in a cradle like strap.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
JamesN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »

I know I'm in the minority on the issue of strap button placement, but I prefer the heel cap to the side of the heel.  blush

I use a fairly stiff and wide leather strap, and I don't like the way the strap has to twist to reach the pin on the side of the heel -- it tends to dig into my shoulder and tends to make my guitar gravitate more to the side of my body rather then the front.

With the button on the heel cap, my strap comes over my shoulder and lays flat against my chest with no twists. That feels more comfortable to me and my guitar seems to lay more naturally directly in front of me rather than drifting off to the side.

A lot of people say their guitar feels like it wants to pitch forward when then strap button is on the heel cap, and I can appreciate that. I believe the reason is because when the pin is on the heel cap, the strap pin and the end pin lie directly along the line of the instrument's vertical center of gravity, and it tends to want to pivot about that point. But I have found that as long as the strap pin has a sufficiently wide flange to it, and as long as the strap is fairly stiff, the tendency to pivot is minimal.

Again, I know I'm in the minority, but that's my perspective.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »

I had this happen to me when I was a teen!  I was a counselor at summer camp, and one evening at campfire, after the singing was done, while the entire camp was quietly listening to the camp director speak, my trusty Takamine F-349 was hanging ever so coolly over my back.  Cowboy hat, cowboy jeans, cowboy guitar silhouetted against the dusky twilight sky.  Did I mention how cool I looked?  Until the bottom peg slipped out and the guitar plummeted headstock first like an arrow toward the dirt ground and landed with a loud BONG! and several more lesser bongs as it tumbled to a rest.  So much for cool.  I never tried that again.  Amazingly, other than a scuff on the top of the headstock, the Tak was fine.  That thing had a baseball bat for a neck and was build to last.

Ha, Glad it didn't tear it up. Those old Takamines pretty good guitars.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: