Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NGD: Mel Bay parlor  (Read 481 times)
LeftyBlake

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:34:12 PM »

I had lunch with a friend today and decided to stop in the pawn shop down the block. I've gotten two great deals at this shop before, so I figured I'd pop in and see if anything looked good. Behind the counter on the floor was this beat up little old Mel Bay parlor. The neck is separating a little bit at the heel. No loose bracing, no cracks and the back, top and sides are all intact. Lot's of finish checking on the back and neck. Decent action, the tuners function great (I assume they're original) and the bridge adjustment works fine.

Stopped by the nearest guitar store to grab a set of Ernie Ball Silk & Steels and I'm gonna dig in and convert it to a lefty.

The best thing, I paid $40 for it with the original chipboard case that even included some nice artwork on it. Maybe not the best deal, but for a little beater with a decent sound, I'm happy.

brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:40:13 AM »

That's a cool little guitar. That case is snazzy too. I'd say 40 was a good price for a guitar with some character and potential.

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
nolifebutbmx

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:47:44 AM »

I love love love guitars like that. Bet it sounds great plays really well. I think 40 is a good deal. What kind of wood is it, can you tell?

i have a little harmony classical which is all scroll cut birch. You'd never expect it to sound or play well, but the thing really sings.

OMV-03r short scale
LeftyBlake

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:49:31 AM »

It sounds great. Has that vintage vibe and the typical parlor sized sound. It doe not play great, however. The neck heel is separating from the heel. It could use a neck reset, but I have no idea how much that would cost. The 12th fret, on each string, is about a quarter step sharp. The action is quite high from the fifth fret on.

I believe this guitar is also all birch. I'm not sure what you mean by scroll cut, but this guitar is in the same vein as your Harmony, so I'm guessing it is made from the same (or similar) woods.

I strung it up lefty with a set of silk and steels and I do quite like the sound. But it's not that comfortable to play. It sure would be with a neck reset, especially with it's super fat neck.

Maybe I'll get it fixed or maybe I'll sell it. Not sure yet. I don't know what a neck reset would cost and I don't really want to pour money into a guitar that isn't really worth much.
nolifebutbmx

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »

Sorry, I guess what I mean by "scroll cut" is rotary veneer cut (where the log is spun and peeled or scrolled lengthwise from the outside in by a giant blade). Virtually all plywood is made from sheet of that kind of cut of wood. Maybe I just made up that wording? hehe seemed logical.

anyways, I know what you mean about not wanting to invest in that guitar, Personally, i'd fix it or get it fixed if its not over 160 (having that as a limit means your high grand total for the guitar is 200). the thing will be so fun when its done. Maybe just squirrel it away. Than when you have a few extra bucks, have the repair be the first thing that you put it towards.

or just play slide on it!!!

OMV-03r short scale
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: