Your next guitar, a Larrivee or something else?

Started by DaveyO, April 14, 2013, 10:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well guys, I will surely be buying a 00 bodied guitar shortly,  as I currently have a P05 and just one other  larger mahogany backed guitar (just sold a Fender Tele, and an Admira classical), and I now think I'm gonna be suited by the 00 size .
I have narrowed my search down to a Larrivee Custom Rosewood 00 at Wildwood, or a Martin 00 rosewood, or Collings 00 rosewood (based on size /price/internet forum reviews.
The trouble I have is that I have nowhere anywhere nearby to try out any of these, and so I'm going to have to go via the internet ,and just take a stab at it.
I only ever play now sitting down, and I like to finger-pick ballad type songs and gentle melodies for my own enjoyment....based on that playing mode, I wondered if anyone with experience of any those 3 guitars could point me in the right direction....I know it'll only be a personal opinion, but I'd still be grateful for any clues , as to which instrument might suit that sort of slower almost melancholy music choice best.
At least if I/we get it wrong,      I can have another stab at it  later !   ......... :roll
Thanks in advance for any replies...Cheers David,  UK

Quote from: unclrob on April 16, 2013, 08:47:49 AM
Being that my LS10 is my main gigging guitar you'd be very happy with one. :thumb

Don't I know it, and the two of us have a history don't we? (think J-05)  :winkin:
The main problem at the moment for me is getting a guitar out from the US - our local currency is taking a  pounding - has done so for the past 15 months now.   :wacko:
We need to get the Chinese to buy gold again...  :whistling:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

My next guitar will be a Larrivee, or at least my next "on purpose" one. I am so impressed with mine, and equally impressed with their repertoire of shapes, sizes and wood selections. I can't imagine a better value at the present time considering what you get inside one of those nice cases. I've stumbled across some really nice bargains and nice guitars over the years, and fell victim to some spontanious guitar consumption, but this past process of research, sampling and finally ending up with my recent Larrivee has me absolutely as happy as I could be. 
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: Walkerman on April 16, 2013, 01:27:54 PM
My next 4 guitars will be Larrivees.   :bgrin:

How about a hint. :? .I have a feeling I'll be  :drool: .
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

next four guitars... :humour:  yea, lets hear the dream, dude!

my next guitar is a Larrivee!

in 2-3 weeks im gonna have me a custom OMV-03r short scale
i know waiting is worth it but :crying:

I think that will be my last guit acquisition for a long time, as its everything i want, and I have so many other girlfriends besides.
OMV-03r short scale

My next one's a used Gibson J-45 Custom. Just clicked on all the dangerous keys to make it happen!   

Quote from: nolifebutbmx on April 22, 2013, 03:43:50 PM
next four guitars... :humour:  yea, lets hear the dream, dude!

my next guitar is a Larrivee!

in 2-3 weeks im gonna have me a custom OMV-03r short scale
i know waiting is worth it but :crying:

I think that will be my last guit acquisition for a long time, as its everything i want, and I have so many other girlfriends besides.
This is an unique Larrivee and very intriguing. I take that it is a 14 fret.

Quote from: dependan on April 22, 2013, 04:30:46 PM
  This is an unique Larrivee and very intriguing. I take that it is a 14 fret.
No clue actually  :laughin:
the day after i placed my order with the dealer, I was doing some talking on the forum and scale length came up. i realized how much happier I'd be with the short scale. I called the dealer up and said "hey, I know you put the order in already but can you see if they'll make it a short scale?" Sure enough, they said they would, but i didn't ask about the construction details.
I've thought about it a lot since. They are resurrecting a discontinued model, and I'm sure they have the jiggery all ready to go.
They probably are not gonna make a custom body. Waaay too much work for a production shop like that.
My guess is they put a 12 fret neck on it, as its the simplest solution to get the scale length desired(24.75''). Im sure they already have them in production stock
No need to move  the bridge placement and throw off optimal placement for resonance, or to custom brace it to accommodate different bridge placement.

But who knows, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. Even with 12 frets, I'll have all the unadulterated, uninhibited fun of a cutaway.
It's scary to me to buy a guitar that I've never played, especially given how many variables there are. But its my firm belief that they wouldn't let a dud out the door. and hey, if I cant jive with it, I sure as hell bet one of you cats can :winkin:
OMV-03r short scale

I'm on the hunt for another Larivee. I'm drawn to the LV series.

Probably used in the $1200 range give or take.

If anyone knows where I can find one, please let me know.
LV-03R
Gibson LG-0
MIM std Tele

I'd really like a 000-28vs but every time I get close to having enough money to order one some other priority comes up and the money goes away. Not sure if anyone else has this problem...also I just missed a nice local used one last week. I don't see used ones show up too often so I was disappointed to miss that one...

:arrow

Over the weekend I played a sweet J45TV. Killer tone. Playing guitars like that always makes me question my priorities. I think dreadaughts are uncomfortable to play but sometime the tone makes me think the uncomfort might be worth it...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Walkerman on April 16, 2013, 01:27:54 PM
My next 4 guitars will be Larrivees.   :bgrin:

If Walkerman say his next 4 will be Larrivee's,well you can take that to the bank.The man has some of the most beautiful Larrivee's I've seen.

I should add that if a pre Fender guild JF30 or JF30/12 appeared and I had money I'd grab them.Then start saving for more Larrivee's.

Quote from: Dotneck on April 23, 2013, 09:07:25 PM
I'd really like a 000-28vs but every time I get close to having enough money to order one some other priority comes up and the money goes away. Not sure if anyone else has this problem...

:crying: I know what you mean,it seems to happen more often then not,lately.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I've been seeing some killer walnut larrivees lately.....might have to strat rolling some change!
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Quote from: Dotneck on April 23, 2013, 09:07:25 PM
I'd really like a 000-28vs but every time I get close to having enough money to order one some other priority comes up and the money goes away. Not sure if anyone else has this problem.

This happens to me all the time too! I hate it but it all works out in the end. I'm gett'in ready to pull the trigger on a LV-03R so we'll see what happens!!.....Hope I didn't just jinx myself...... :ohmy:
LV-03R
Gibson LG-0
MIM std Tele

Quote from: rvf263 on April 24, 2013, 05:43:39 PM
Hope I didn't just jinx myself

LOL

:cheers

Good luck!

My most recent bit of discretionary income went towards a new bandsaw...I'm going to try to start to develop a modest wood turning shop in my garage...so no new guitar for a while...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Dotneck on April 24, 2013, 08:46:04 PM

My most recent bit of discretionary income went towards a new bandsaw...I'm going to try to start to develop a modest wood turning shop in my garage...so no new guitar for a while...

How about a guitar building shop? :tongue:
OMV-03r short scale

My next and likely last will be either a

guild 212 hidden away at a local shop. Every time I go in the shop he makes sure to take it out, let me strum it a few minutes before he tells me " you know someone will walk out with this one someday and it might not be you if you don't buy it soon"

or the om-12
more guitars than talent

P-05 IS, om-03

Quote from: Dotneck on April 24, 2013, 08:46:04 PM
LOL

:cheers

Good luck!

Hee hee - you got TAS. I'd love to have a Fox bending machine myself but I've been accumulating hand tools. I love working with chisels and planes now that I've learned to properly sharpen them!

As for my next guitar, it's almost done:

After that I'm gonna build a couple more but meanwhile my sole Larrivee is earning some serious mojo. It took a tumble down the basement steps - I'll say not how - but it was in its case and wasn't even knocked out of tune. How's that for a testimonial to Larrivee's quality? If it'd been my Martin it would be splintered all to pieces.

If I were to ever get another Larrivee I think I'd go with an LV-05, SD-50 or 000-50. I have this love affair with mahogany nowadays. I've never come across a walnut guitar though.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

I just tried out an excellent 2012 custom Martin 00-18 which sounded amazing!
There's a limited amount of 00 Larrivées here so I havn't been able to compare them but that Martin blew me away. I want it!
04' Larrivée L-09 Collectors Edition 26 of 50
90s' Yamaha Classical

Q: How many guitars does a man need?
A: One more.

I'm from Sweden. The home of Levin, Hagström & Sundberg Guitars.
We also ride polarbears to work on a daily basis. Yes, it's true.